20 miler 2 weeks before marathon? I need advice. (Read 490 times)

My next marathon is April 21st. 5 weeks 3 days away. I ran Surf City marathon Feb 3 and 2 weeks later, I was sidelined with an injury. I didn't run for 2 weeks. I'm back. I'm fine. I feel great but I also feel really really slow...like I've lost it. I'm purposefully running slower to ease back into my schedule but that just makes running faster, harder. Mentally, I'm playing catch up. I missed a scheduled 20miler during my down time. So if I were to stick with my current schedule (basically the pfitz 18/55) my long runs would be 17 (tomorrow), 17, 20, 16, 12, race. I just feel like I need to get in at least two 20mile runs so I thought I'd do 17, 20, 17, 20, 12, race. I plan on keeping my mileage at around 50mpw, no more than 55. I'm not doing any hill work or intervals and will only do a tempo run here and there, and a few of my miles in my long runs, at MGP. My (lofty) goal for the marathon is 3:35. Is it a very bad idea to run a really slow 20 miler and then start my taper 2 weeks out?

Jennifer mm#1231

An easy paced 20 miler 2 weeks before a marathon is not necessarily a bad idea. But trying to make up for missed workouts 2 weeks before a marathon is. So you need to decide--forgetting about whatever runs you think you missed--what you expect to gain from it and whether it will help or hurt. If it were me I'd probably do: 17, 20, 20, 17, 12, race. And if I was feeling spry I'd finish the last 20 at MP or faster, that would give me three full weeks after that last hard effort to recover for the race. Then I'd keep the 17 and the 12 at an easy pace. MTA: Wait. It is me. My next marathon is April 21st too. FWIW the long runs I'm planning for the next 6 weeks go--13.1 race, 20-22 easy pace, 20 mile race, 18 easy pace, 13 easy pace, 26.2 race. See you in Hopkinton.

Runners run

ok, thanks! I don't know why I had to make that so difficult. Tongue Unfortunately, I probably won't even get a glimpse of you in Hopkinton, LOL! I'll be waaaaay in the back with the mere mortals. Blush Good luck at your race this weekend!

Jennifer mm#1231

My next marathon is in 2 weeks and 2 days, but I'm training through it (my goal marathon is 4 or 5 weeks after that.) I'm planning on about 18 this weekend, with 13.1 faster than marathon pace (2-3 w/u, race, 2-3 c/d), and then next weekend I'll probably do 10-15 both Saturday and Sunday. Weekend after that I'll be running the marathon at tempo pace. I haven't figured what I'll do yet for my long runs before my goal race. 2 weeks after the tempo marathon is my wife's birthday, but I'll probably do a trail 18-22 that weekend on Saturday. 2 weeks before my goal marathon I'll be in Boston to watch the trials and cheer on the Maine women and to watch that other marathon to cheer you folks on, so I'll probably have a little trouble getting a long run in unless I do it Saturday morning before heading south.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)