Running fast in training ? (Read 907 times)

evtish

Everyone. Thanks all for the good advice, much appreciated.
    JakeKnight

As anecdotal evidence, I ran my fastest 5k in the midst of marathon training.
      I ran my fastest 5k a week after running my first marathon. Confused
      Ditto the above. Both of my fastest 5k times came within a week of completing hard marathons. I suspect if I'd done that training and skipped the marathons - and then ran the 5ks - I'd have liked the results. In neither case did I do much if any speedwork. MikeyMike up there has a saying (which I never remember exactly) but its something to the effect of: "There's a time for the hammer and time for the chisel, and mileage is the hammer - the chisel (speedwork) is just for the sharpening at the end." Something like that, and I always think of that when this comes up. I think for most of us average types, we get much more from the hammer than the chisel. For elites who are working just to shave seconds (or tenths of seconds), maybe they need more chisel. But I know for a fact I could significantly lower my 5k and 10k times even if I did no speedwork at all, if the mileage was there. Of course, running fast(er) is sometimes just plain fun. Which is a fine reason to do it, if you don't get hurt. Oh - and if you actually figure out how to go from 6:52 PR pace to 6:00 pace and a 5:15 mile in 6 months, I'm going to move to where you are and become your disciple. But before you attempt it, I'd strongly recommend you go do a search for a member named "Kooky2003." Her story should be required reading for anybody new to running.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Scout7

I think the quote you want is: "Speedwork is icing on the cake. But you gotta have a cake first."
          But before you attempt it, I'd strongly recommend you go do a search for a member named "Kooky2003." Her story should be required reading for anybody new to running.
          I tried a search Jake, but came up with a bunch of chaff and no wheat (but maybe I'm just a dummy). Any further direction on this story?
          Brandon
          evtish

I believe that I have a big mental hurdle to overcome in order to run faster, one in which self doubt comes from the unknown, of having never run at higher speeds for sustained amounts of time, creating wasteful nervous energy and tensing up the body, resulting in lower efficiencies; fast twitch nerves that have not been exercised and adapted for optimal performance, the comfort of running at the "normal" pace, of not knowing what 85-90% VO2max effort even feels like and throttling back (ginormous run on sentence) Sometimes the pyschological challenge is bigger than the physiological one. Just made an appt with my therapist.
              OP is not my question, but I like reading these for the advice. Is this (3-5) X 1 minute intervals, or is this n repeats of intervals lasting 3-5 minutes?
              Each interval should last 3-5 minutes. The object is to accumulate a total of 12-20 minutes of running at VO2max....novices at speedwork should shoot for the lower end of the range. More experienced runners often also begin a training cycle at the low end of the range and work up to 18-20 minutes over several weeks.
                Each interval should last 3-5 minutes. The object is to accumulate a total of 12-20 minutes of running at VO2max....novices at speedwork should shoot for the lower end of the range. More experienced runners often also begin a training cycle at the low end of the range and work up to 18-20 minutes over several weeks.
                Thanks! Exactly what I wanted to know. Smile
                Brandon
                  MikeyMike up there has a saying (which I never remember exactly) but its something to the effect of: "There's a time for the hammer and time for the chisel, and mileage is the hammer - the chisel (speedwork) is just for the sharpening at the end." Something like that, and I always think of that when this comes up.
                  I really like that! It sounds so much more dramatic than the old triangle base and peak analogy. Smile
                    One of my favorite quotes: "During my career, the most important aspect of my training regime was strength. You can spend the rest of your life working on speed and make little progress, but if you spend the rest of your running career working on strength, you’ll always continue to improve. Improvements are also achieved by increasing your endurance. What do I mean by strength or endurance? Mileage, Mileage, Mileage! The more miles you can run, the stronger you will be." Steve Scott - 136 sub 4-minute miles, most in the world! (also multiple winner of Carlsbad 5000, one of world's premier road 5k's)
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                    runningmonk

As regular as the changing of the seasons is the cyclical popularity of the "next big thing" in training strategies for running and racing. Are you a Lydiardite or embracing FIRST? Are you training all year round or are you optimizing your running for a peak performance and then taking a nice long Kenyan break? Run a lot. Run some of it fast. Don't get injured. Customize all the details in between. Don't believe everything you read but remember they're not making it all up either.