Taper crazy person on the loose (Read 128 times)

uncontrollable

13 years of marathoning...you would think I could relax a week before my race.  Still unsure if I will "loose" fitness & speed this week - WTF is wrong with me?  I am all wound up.  Damn.  I'd love some friendly feedback, thoughts, or humor to settle me down.  I worked hard to come back from an injury and be ready for this race (Providence RI) - just so want to have a solid race.  Talk me off the ledge people!

Thx.

Kell

peace

Taper is as taper does. Or something like that.

Here ya go:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00007256-199112060-00004

Summary

Many endurance athletes and coaches fear a decrement in physical conditioning and performance if training is reduced for several days or longer. This is largely unfounded. Maximal exercise measures (V̇O2max, maximal heart rate, maximal speed or workload) are maintained for 10 to 28 days with reductions in weekly training volume of up to 70 to 80%. Blood measures (creatine kinase, haemoglobin, haematocrit, blood volume) change positively or are maintained with 5 to 21 days of reduced training, as are glycogen storage and muscle oxidative capacities. Submaximal exercise measures (economy, heart rate, postexercise lactate) and muscular power are maintained or improved with a 70 to 90% reduction in weekly volume over 6 to 21 days, provided that exercise frequency is reduced by no more than 20%. Athletic performance is improved or maintained with a 60 to 90% reduction in weekly training volume during a 6 to 21 day reduced training period, primarily due to an enhanced ability to exert muscular power. These findings suggest that endurance athletes should not refrain from reduced training prior to competition in an effort to improve performance, or for recovery from periods of intense training, injury, or staleness.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

joescott

You'll be alright, Kell.  I'm right there with you, and racing on the same day, I think.  Just keep the faith and try to stay tranquila.  I'm sure you'll rock it much as I intend to.  :-)

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

BeeRunB

You won't lose fitness, the recovery will you do you well.  Enjoy the nerves and the craziness. It's all part of it. So stay up on the ledge, eat, be merry. You can jump off come race time.

You're making me miss home! I'm a Rhode Islander, born and bread, from Central Falls to Cumberland. Been in Atlanta 5 years. Enjoy the race!

P.S. If you see anyone I know, tell them I said hi.

--Jimmy

uncontrollable

I was worried about getting "loose" ya know...flabby.  But thanks to Trent - I am also worried about losing fitness.

Woe is me

peace