Treadmill - Help me pick one: Smooth 6.75 vs Sole f80 (Read 2643 times)

I am currently shopping to replace my old nordic Track C2000 treadmill and am looking for a sturdier unit... the swaying console has me worried when I do any interval training....

Here are the pros and cons Is have noted for each, all other criteria appeared equal... but correct me on that if I'm wrong.  Note that I am in Canada and pricing and warranty may differ from US customers.

<colgroup><col width="143" /><col width="86" /><col width="86" /></colgroup>

Sole Smooth
    price 1680 1512
    max speed 11mph 12mph
    Programs 6 12
    Warranty Frame+motor life life
    Warranty Deck life 5
    In-home service 2 1
    Reviews 10 9

http://www.soletreadmills.com/details.php?name=F80

http://www.smoothfitness.ca/treadmills/smooth-675.htm

So there is a difference of 168$, with the Smooth being the least expensive.  The Smooth can go to 12mph vs 11 for the Sole (which may me a plus for interval training - I currently am maxed out at 10 on my current TM).  The Smooth has more programs than the Sole.  So it definitely has the upper hand regarding features. 

The Sole has a better warranty, but also has the upper hand in most reviews I saw on the was, being identified as a best buy... but there is almost no negative on the smooth either... so that has me asking myself if the warranty and reviews edge I gave the Sole are even significant.

I have to say I am leaning towards the Smooth because of the features, but the fact that the Sole has a better warranty, although the Smooth is pretty good, and also has all these "Best buy", "Best in category" awards and such makes me hesitate a little...

Any thoughts?

I haven't heard of the Smooth before, but it sounds like a good treadmill. The Sole is real heavy duty, and definitly shouldn't sway when running on it.

Have you been able to try them out? I know Dick's Sporting Goods used to have the Sole in their stores (it was the top-of-line TM that they sold a few years ago), but I'm not sure if they still have it. From my experience, if you keep the treadmill clean, it should definitely last longer than the 5 yr warranty on the Smooth. Although my TM is a different brand, I got it used, have had it for 4 years, and haven't had any problems.

Personally, although I like the sturdiness of the Sole, I'd go with the Smooth since it can go up to 12 mph. Assuming it doesn't sway.

PRs: 5k - 18:34 (2010 Littleton Road Race) 10k - 41:40 (2010 Livestrong Philly) HM - 1:29:48 (2010 Hartford Half Marathon) M - 3:10:31 (2011 Big Sur International Marathon)

I got an entry level Smooth 5.25 several years ago and like it a lot. It compares favorable to any other TM I've used in regards to how sturdy it is. However, I recently had to replace the computer insert in the console. The electronics are the weak area in these warranties IMO, and are the components mostly likely to fail.

In spite of that, were I in the market again, I'd heavily consider a Smooth 6.75. And I agree that routine cleaning and maintenance is important to keep the deck and motor working well.

Happy shopping.

I, along with a few others around here, have a Sole TM.

For the most part I like it, but one thing that really bugs me is it only shows speed in MPH. It doesn't show me pace in minutes/mile (or min/km). I have had to fix two things since getting it (all covered by warranty): the bottom bolt on the incline motor,and the socket the safety key slides into.

I know most of them have a plethora of programs,but I never use them. I just want to see my pace in mpm, and apparently it's not possible on my unit.

Check to make sure the display shows what you want or would like.

If you want the Cadilac of TM's, check out the Landice.  Or,if you want the Lamborghini of TMs, check out the Alter G. 

jdais

I chose the F80. My display can show mph or pace(min/mile).  Had it about a year. Used it for training during the winter.  It is very heavy duty and has a great warranty

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

I have the F80 since Jan of this year. We have put about 500 miles on it so far. Love it. Best thing I've spent money on in a long time.

Boilertom- you can get the mpm if you push the button on the lower part of the console that has the little circle arrow thingy on in. Push it once or twice and the pace should come up at the bottom display.

Feeling the growl again

I have the F80 since Jan of this year. We have put about 500 miles on it so far. Love it. Best thing I've spent money on in a long time.

Boilertom- you can get the mpm if you push the button on the lower part of the console that has the little circle arrow thingy on in. Push it once or twice and the pace should come up at the bottom display.

The F80 does this;  if he has an F65 like me it does not (that I have figured out).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thanks all for the feedback, sounds like those who have any of these 2 brands are satisfied...

I have not seen either model myself, but I have seen a few, who are rated lower than these 2, but sell for the same price (an AFG and a Spirit).  Smooth pretty much only sells online, and I don't think there is a local Sole dealer...

I have looked at the Landice (online), as well as Precor and pretty much all other brands, but those 2 are out of my price range, unfortunately.  I am looking at around 1500$, and I want something that will allow me to run when the kids are asleep without waking them up, and will last.  The Sole and Smooth both appear to meet these criteria...

I'll make sure to keep you updated on my decision and review later on, but in the meantime, keep the feedback coming!

As I suspected, mine doesn't display pace. I press that arrow button multiple times and it's always the same thing displayed in the pace field: the letter P. 

wonderful...

I have an S77.

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Smooth on Friday - along with an elliptical from them as well.  I,ll write a review once I receive, assemble and try it.

Kenotic Runner

I ran a 6 miler on my Precor treadmill in the fitness store before I bought it.  It has no gadgets but is sturdy and smooth.

Well, here is the long overdue update.

The Smooth treadmill is a very nice piece of equipment.  Setup was fairly easy, 1-hour thing maybe with a friend to help me.  It was quite exhausting moving it down the stairs without killing ourselves, but once it was in the basement it was easy enough to put together (even with the manual missing one page... even the online .pdf is missing that page!).

Running on it, it feels very sturdy.  Controls are easily accessible, info on the console is clear.  It 100% does what it is essentially made for. 

The few gripes I have however are that it doesn't display pace, which is unfortunate, and I can't honestly how someone who designs treadmills does not include that information in the display see it's the most widely used metric among runners... but it's easy enough to figure out by yourself.

The MP3 thingy (there is an in and an out 3.5 plug, and speaker) isn't worth shite.  I wasn't expecting anything from the speakers, but I was hoping to be able to plug my jack coming from the amp for my TV and plug my headphones in the "out" jack just to avoid dealing with the long jack... but the sound is so bad, that I have to keep dealing with it.

Fan isn't worth much either.

You have to lean the whole machin on it's back wheels by pulling it towards you with the deck up to move it around.  Most other treadmills I saw when shopping could be easily lifted on 4 wheels for effortless moving.

HR monitor is pretty much useless, HR is all over the map, 84 one second, 135 the next, 87, 129...

I talked to customer service a few times about these issues, and the were always very nice, and helpful the first time around (auto-speed buttons were set incorrectly - "6" button produced a 6 km/h speed, instead of a 10km/h, that was solved in 5 minutes), but they couldn't help much with the other "gripes"... that's just how the machine is.  BUT for running, the machine is #1.  If I did not feel that I paid for these gadgets that don't work, I'd be 100% happy with my purchase! Right now however I'd give it probably 8.5/10.  But again, I only have my old wobbly machine, and the ones I saw in the store (but did not use) to compare to.  Would I buy it again?  Honestly, I'd probably give the Sole a try instead...

Hope this helps anyone out there looking for a new tradmill!  Feel free to ask any questions.

Well, here is the long overdue update.

The Smooth treadmill is a very nice piece of equipment.  Setup was fairly easy, 1-hour thing maybe with a friend to help me.  It was quite exhausting moving it down the stairs without killing ourselves, but once it was in the basement it was easy enough to put together (even with the manual missing one page... even the online .pdf is missing that page!).

Running on it, it feels very sturdy.  Controls are easily accessible, info on the console is clear.  It 100% does what it is essentially made for. 

The few gripes I have however are that it doesn't display pace, which is unfortunate, and I can't honestly how someone who designs treadmills does not include that information in the display see it's the most widely used metric among runners... but it's easy enough to figure out by yourself.

The MP3 thingy (there is an in and an out 3.5 plug, and speaker) isn't worth shite.  I wasn't expecting anything from the speakers, but I was hoping to be able to plug my jack coming from the amp for my TV and plug my headphones in the "out" jack just to avoid dealing with the long jack... but the sound is so bad, that I have to keep dealing with it.

Fan isn't worth much either.

You have to lean the whole machin on it's back wheels by pulling it towards you with the deck up to move it around.  Most other treadmills I saw when shopping could be easily lifted on 4 wheels for effortless moving.

HR monitor is pretty much useless, HR is all over the map, 84 one second, 135 the next, 87, 129...

I talked to customer service a few times about these issues, and the were always very nice, and helpful the first time around (auto-speed buttons were set incorrectly - "6" button produced a 6 km/h speed, instead of a 10km/h, that was solved in 5 minutes), but they couldn't help much with the other "gripes"... that's just how the machine is.  BUT for running, the machine is #1.  If I did not feel that I paid for these gadgets that don't work, I'd be 100% happy with my purchase! Right now however I'd give it probably 8.5/10.  But again, I only have my old wobbly machine, and the ones I saw in the store (but did not use) to compare to.  Would I buy it again?  Honestly, I'd probably give the Sole a try instead...

Hope this helps anyone out there looking for a new tradmill!  Feel free to ask any questions.

hmmm, sounds like the Sole and Smooth are made by the same people. The basic functionality works great. But, all the extras are not very good.  I agree 100% on the "pace" display. Clearly, a runner wasn't involved in use case review if MPH is displayed instead of minutes/mile.  I once contacted Sole about the lack of Pace being displayed, and the person on the other end acted like I was talking a foreign language. 

Seriously, why can't someone just make a sturdy treadmill, that goes 12 MPH (er um, 5 min/mile), or faster, inclines to 15%, and has a display that shows time, distance and current pace?  Okay, a lap button and corresponding pieces of data (lap distance, time and pace) would be nice.  Save all the programs for the lower end treadmills. 

upset

Below is my personal experience with the company.   The bottom line is BUYER BEWARE.

I ordered a top of the line Smooth Fitness Elliptical trainer in OCTOBER of 2012.

I received an email confirmation of the order with tracking information.  A few weeks later I received the floor mat for the machine.  Online tracking information kept reading "in transit" so a month later I wrote an email to them asking for a status update.  NO ANSWER other than the automatic replay stating my question had been received.

I called a week later (thinking it was the holiday time and orders may be backed up) and after speaking with the first representative was transferred to a manager Ms. Linda Manfriedi.  She explained that there had been a legal battle with the US distribution center and that their inventory was "being held hostage" but that my unit "was here."  She apologized and offered $200 credit back on my order.  She assured me the unit would ship the first week of December.

I called back the THIRD week of December when I had not heard anything and NO CREDIT POSTED.  I waited over 12 min's on hold and was forced to leave a message.  I left all information and asked for an immediate call back.  NO CALL BACK.  I called two days later and left another message – NO CALL BACK.  I called back two days later and spoke with Kevin when Ms. Manfriedi was not available.  I left message on her personal voicemail but was told by Kevin "they are here, but not sure when they can ship."  NO CALL BACK from Ms. Manfriedi.

At this point it was OVER TWO MONTHS from the date of original order and I had called/contacted this company no less than SIX times with a very poor service.  (they had yet to answer a single voicemail)   I had still not received the promised $200 credit on my card and they could still not give me a definitive ship date.  As a further insult, the online price had dropped over $200 from the price I had paid (for the holiday sale) which they were very happy to take new orders for.

I called back again and spoke with Ms. Manfriedi.  I told her the entire story again and expressed my extreme displeasure.  She was unable again to give me a ship date but promised again that "they are here and ready to ship."  I asked for a refund and SHE REFUSED.  She told me that "the other company" had my money and I would HAVE TO GO THROUGH MY CREDIT CARD to get my money back.

I cancelled the order entirely and called American Express.  6 weeks later I have my credit.  Thank goodness for AMEX.  In the meantime, I found a company that specializes in used CLUB GRADE equipment and bought a precor unit (less than 2 years old) for less than the sale price of the Smooth Fitness unit.  It's fully refurbished, works perfectly and has a warranty.