Hanson-Brooks Training Plan - Racing a HM during Marathon training (Read 119 times)

snapa55

I'm planning on racing a HM on 3/9 and targeting a 5/25 marathon.  Should I run at my tempo runs @ HM target pace?  Or should I just continue on with marathon training as is, and just run the HM as a hard training run?

5K: 18:43 (12/13) 10K: 42:50 (12/12) HM: 1:30:10 (3/14) M: 3:34:46 (5/14)

HM pace is threshold pace, more or less.

If I were you: race the hell out of it, but ease off a little the following week.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I'd have to check the book when I get home, but seems like the HM pace is different than the marathon/tempo pace.

...but either way, I agree with setantae's advice.  Matter of fact, I'm planning on something similar...racing a HM on 3/2, with a target marathon on 4/27.  Plan on using the HM to gauge my fitness level, and whether I need to make any adjustments for the remainder of the plan.

Oh, and I'd run the tempo runs at target marathon pace for now.  Since that's, you know, the "target." 

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I'm planning on racing a HM on 3/9 and targeting a 5/25 marathon.  Should I run at my tempo runs @ HM target pace?  Or should I just continue on with marathon training as is, and just run the HM as a hard training run?

Is Hansons-Brooks Training Plan same as Hansons Marathon Method (in book by Luke Humphrey with Keith & Luke Hanson)? Doing the plan pretty straight out of the book (which I'm doing right now), a 13-mile run would be either a long run (slightly slower than race pace) or an easy run (even a little bit more slower than race pace). There is no 13 mile run that is done at tempo/goal pace.

I'm not super fast, but I do like to compete, so if I were inserting a half into a full training plan, given that I had two months between the half and the full, I'd race the half hard. (Unless I'm helping a friend race/pace/train, I don't like to enter a race and not run it hard.) I wouldn't run it stupid, but I would run it hard. And then I'd adjust the training plan a day or two for recovery's sake, but otherwise get back on board with the plan.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

snapa55

Alright, sounds like a plan guys.  Thanks!

5K: 18:43 (12/13) 10K: 42:50 (12/12) HM: 1:30:10 (3/14) M: 3:34:46 (5/14)