Do you love your shoes? (Read 1027 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What brand/model and why? I bought a pair of New Balance 845s when I decided to give running a new shot (ran in HS in various models of Asics Gels). The primary reason I looked at NBs is that so many of their models came in WIDE widths and I had so many friends recommend them to me from their own experience. I also have never been aware of any pronation issues, but have had some history with shin splints. All the descriptions I found classified it as a pretty general-needs shoe, so it seemed like a pretty good starting point. I must say that I could NOT be happier. I forget that I am wearing them when I run, which I take as a big positive! Big grin Unless I run into any issues that require me to look at a shoe for specific needs, I may just buy another pair when mine become too worn. Though I am interested in being custom fitted at a running store next Spring--since I will likely be giving more mileage and some longer races a whirl. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Into the wild

I just bought some new Nike Pegasus and, as usual, took about a minute per kilometre of my pace. This surprises me each time I buy new trainers. Maybe I should buy new at 250 K INSTEAD OF 600!!! btw. I don't love my shoes but recognise their role in my running. All the best to our community, Johnny ( enjoying a new lease of life!) Big grin

Shut up and run

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Hello everyone, My name is Eric, and I'm addicted to the Nike Air Span Triax 3... My addiction started back in 2003. I still remember the day they were introduced to me by a sales person from my local running store (Marathon Sports in Cambridge). I showed her my then current shoes (ASICS), and did the usual gait analysis. She recommended the Nike Air Span Triax 3. When I put them on, I felt like I was running on pillows! They were light, and provided lots of cushion. Nike stopped producing them shortly after but I found them at the Nike outlet store. When the store stopped selling them, I went onto the Internet to fuel my habit. I would buy them half a dozen at a time to save on the shipping. Instead of having pots and pans in my pantry like a normal person, I have boxes upon boxes of shoes. I did some quick math two months before this year's Boston Marathon and realized that I was in trouble. My supply was dwindling and they would not last until the marathon. My Internet supplier ran out of stock months before. I bought a pair of ASICS Gel-Landreth II hoping I can run Boston in them. They were supposed to be equivalent to the Nikes, but they weren't. The arch was too high and they hurt my feet. In desperation, I went to another running store to look for a substitute. To my disbelief, they still have 4 pairs of Nikes! I could have bought all of them, but decided that I must wean myself off of them. Otherwise, I'll be in trouble again when the next marathon rolls around this fall. I walked out of the store with only one pair, just enough to complete Boston. Why am I addicted to these shoes? I didn't get a single blister after I completed Boston this year. The only times I get blisters, and they were minor ones, were when my shoes were completely soaked in the rain, and only after 20+ miles. Needless to say, I don't ever get black toe nails. After going through a total of 15 pairs, I must go cold turkey and end my addiction... Running will never be the same... eric Smile
          I love my shoes. I've always been a Nike fan, but after my stress fracture time off, I decided it was time to invest in a new pair of shoes. I went to my local running store, Gazelle Sports in Grand Rapids, MI and let them decide. I came home with a pair of Asics GT-2110 & I am loving them. Better than my shoes though, are my socks. I have a love affair with my socks!! I have several brands of running socks, but my SmartWool socks are my true obsession. The fact that I can run through water over the road & come home with dust, literally dust, between my toes is amazing!! I've never had a blister with these socks and my feet are cushioned & comfy. I wish I could buy SmartWool clothes...head-to-toe-Heaven!!!! Big grin Ok, so they aren't cheap, but they are worth every bit of the $13/pair I've spent on them! We just don't mention to hubby how much they cost!! Wink Anyone else have a favorite sock?? Eryn
          So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
          Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Eryn, I bought 3 pairs of these "DryMax" socks for $20 at the Boston Marathon expo. The sales person gave me a demo where she put the entire sock into a tubberware filled with water, then placed the sock on a piece of paper towel. It was completely soaked. When she turned the sock inside out, and did the same thing, the paper towel was dry! So, I bought them to give them a try (I need more socks anyway). I wore them for the first time two weeks ago when it was pouring out here in New England. My feet stayed dry for a lot longer than any other socks. But when my sneakers were completely water logged, there was no place for the water to go but into my feet. I guess the sock can only repel so much water. Still, I think they're pretty good, and I too thought of wearing this material from head to toe. eric Smile
              Eric, Sock manufacturers just need to realize the value of a "body sock", I think! I'll have to check out the DryMax socks. At that price, I could even confess to my husband how much I spend on socks! Eryn
              Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, all. I've never gone to a running store. I buy my shoes at the local shoe warehouse. Which means, every time I come home with something different. I have a really hard time finding quality shoes in my size (I wear a women's 11. Anyone else ever try to find a women's 11? It's not easy!). Two shoes ago I found a pair of new balance 476's. I LOVED them. They were GREAT for me. Unfortunately, they wore out. Their replacements, Reebok premier road plus, have given me minor aches and pains since I first got them. By the way, did you know you can develop caluses on your arch? Guess how I learned that! (Hint: it happened AFTER the blisters!) I really love aesics, I just can't find them in my size. Sometimes they don't even have men's aesics in my size! I hate shoe shopping because I have to look and look and look to try to find something that fits well (narrow heel, wide toe, stability, can't have the back go up too high and rub my achilles, etc). Perhaps if I were to break down and go to a REAL running store I'd find something I like, but then were would be the challenge in that? Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

Janell, Oh & you lecture me about going to a doctor?!?! Perhaps we should have the discussion about the importance of a proper fitting, comfortable shoe? Or how a good shoe can help to prevent injuries? For example, caluses & blisters on the arch??? Wink Never mind the challege, get the right shoe & challenge yourself to a better run!! Big grin Eryn
                  vicentefrijole

Nothing like the love between a runner and his/her shoes! My latest is the Boston Classic from Adidas... the perfect light-weight neutral traininer (for my foot). I know there are more expensive models (and Adidas even had a "test them for 30-days campaign") but I can't switch from these. I'm on my 6th pair and I'll keep buying them until they stop making them (and then what?). The only downside to these shoes is that they wear out rather fast (on my feet at least). I'm not a big guy and yet I start to feel losses at 250+ miles. Still, it's worth the extra $$ for a great ride! For those of you (like me) who like to buy many of the same shoe, consider the fact that the plastic/foam in these shoes brakes down as they age (even dry and dark in the box). I'm not saying you shouldn't invest in your favorites (especially when they're discontinued) but just keep this in mind.
                    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

For those of you (like me) who like to buy many of the same shoe, consider the fact that the plastic/foam in these shoes brakes down as they age (even dry and dark in the box). I'm not saying you shouldn't invest in your favorites (especially when they're discontinued) but just keep this in mind.
                      That's one of the reasons I didn't buy the remaining pairs of the shoes. I figure that they've been around for at least 2 years, so they probably won't last as long. If only they keep making them. It's all a gimmick to come out with "better" designs. For what it's worth, I replace mine every 300 miles or so or my feet would start hurting.
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

Janell, Oh & you lecture me about going to a doctor?!?! Perhaps we should have the discussion about the importance of a proper fitting, comfortable shoe? Or how a good shoe can help to prevent injuries? For example, caluses & blisters on the arch??? Wink Never mind the challege, get the right shoe & challenge yourself to a better run!! Big grin Eryn
                        Busted! Smile Hey, the blisters was only twice - I have good calluses there now! And yes, I'll be more careful with the next pair I buy. I actually am planning on getting a fitted pair next time - in about 170 more miles. The issue with the blisters was my favorite style of insoles didn't quite fit the shoe. I should have bought "men's" insoles instead of "women's." Next time. Next time. (I have the calluses now - why bother with a new pair now?) But I have no intention of giving up my favorite style of insoles no matter how many blisters they cause me! New pair, of course, but same style. Janell

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Janell, I'm curious about these insoles...what kind are they and what do they do? Are they for arch support? I've noticed a very minor blister on one foot that is starting to callus, but I actually think they are from my worn-out sandals and that my running shoes just rub a bit on the same spot and irritate it further. I bought a new pair of sandals yesterday and will see if that helps. If not I will get some moleskin to put on that spot before longer runs. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Insoles: Polysorb by Spenco (running style. they have others). They have a green top and black bottom with a harder yellow area around the arch and base of the foot. They aren't ultra cushy or anything, but they hold up. They do a little bit of arch support, but more important to me because I'm a heavy runner, they don't break down in two months. My experience has been that they last as long as the shoe does. I've bought every insole and arch support my local grocery stores provide, and they aren't worth two cents. I've never seen these at the grocery store - I've found them at shoe stores, though, and as long as I can find them I'll never try anything else.

Im a new runner, and I wear Air Max 360's. They fit great and seem the perfect shoe for me.
                              What we do in life, echo's in eternity. Maximus.
                              Finbarr

Asics Gel Trabuco VII. They're trail shoes that can be used on the road. I mostly run on the road, so that's where I use them. Extremely cushioned. I wish I had 3 pair.