Illegal Aid in a Marathon (Read 663 times)

cincyjacket

In my very first marathon, I got hungry and stopped and ate some chicken at a fast food restaurant along the course. Since this option was available to every runner on the course (provided they had money), I suppose it was legal.

Truth is unless you're trying to claim some prize money or finish in the top standings, I don't think the race officials care what you do.

I apologize for being unnecessarily harsh to the OP.

I was reading a triathlon forum a couple of days ago about a guy who was DQ'd for running Ironman Coeur D'Alene this past Sunday wearing earphones in 1 ear.

For one, I can't believe an Ironman triathlete would wear earphones while racing.  In my limited experience with triathlons at all levels, that's a HUGE no-no!  I think this idiot also claimed he was wearing them on the bike, but he was disqualified on the run portion.

Typing this reminded me of another story on that same forum regarding an elite triathlete who was in 3rd place overall in a 1/2 Ironman (I think) that had a man in a gorilla suit run along side him for about 1 minute, and they gave him a 4 minute penalty, which took him off of the podium.  He knew the guy in the gorilla suit, and I guess the gorilla suited guy was assisting him on the run.  It was a funny thread and even included pictures.

As it relates to running races, though, I'm a middle of the pack type of guy that'll pick up an orange wedge or a high five from anybody willing to give them in the last part of a race.

Carry on.

Cheers,

2014 Goals:

#1: Do what I can do. <DOING>

#2: 365 Hours training

just a simple cat

I think the elites can hand each other some of their own stuff, but outside aid isn't allowed from their coachs and friends.

ShuffleFaster

One question that I've always wondered is recieving aid from another registered runner.  Obviously being paced by one is perfectly legal, but what if I offer a friend a gel?  Is that legal?  Is that ethical?

Good question.   I just read the relevant USTAF guidelines and I can't find anything prohibiting registered competitors from sharing water or food with another competitor.  Hopefully, someone can find the definitive answer.  (I suspect, though, that it is allowed, as I've seen it occur amongst elites during major marathons.)

I think the elites can hand each other some of their own stuff, but outside aid isn't allowed from their coachs and friends.

World-class sportsmanship.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

ShuffleFaster

Fat butt on couch

Good question.   I just read the relevant USTAF guidelines and I can't find anything prohibiting registered competitors from sharing water or food with another competitor.  Hopefully, someone can find the definitive answer.  (I suspect, though, that it is allowed, as I've seen it occur amongst elites during major marathons.)

Well, I was once in a group of marathoners trying to qualify for the olympic trials.  People did not hesitate to pass water around to each other.  It would suck if we all should have been disqualified, it was a great experience.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

cincyjacket

I remember watching the Olympic qualifying race and there were two elites who train together who I'm not going to name. Anyway, the one  that was slightly ahead was drinking from a squeeze bottle and the one behind her was reaching forward as she obviously wanted her to pass back the bottle.

I'm going to give the elite in front the benefit of the doubt and say that she did not notice her "friend" reaching forward because after she took her sip, she tossed the bottle aside. I wonder if they exchanged words post-race.

HobbyJogger & HobbyRacer

In my very first marathon, I got hungry and stopped and ate some chicken at a fast food restaurant along the course. Since this option was available to every runner on the course (provided they had money), I suppose it was legal.

It also makes for a more entertaining story, at least in my opinion Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.