Realistic Half Marathon Goal (Read 120 times)

Hi!  Looking for some advice!  I'm 4 weeks into my 12-week training plan for my half marathon and I'm wondering if my goals are realistic or not.   For the last 2 that I ran, the plans I used only focused on mileage and didn't incorporate any tempo runs, speed work, etc.  This time I am incorporating a lot more into my training, while also increasing my mileage.  My last race was a 1:45:55 with an average pace of 8:05 per/mile on a course with more hills, although there weren't many.  My tempo runs are usually at a pace of 7:35-7:45 and I recently ran 10 miles at a pace of 7:57.  I usually take longer runs way slower, but was feeling awesome that day and went with it. 

Do you think I can realistically shoot for a 1:41:36 (7:45 pace)...still have 8 weeks of training.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Are you logging your runs on RA? If you are and make your log public, you'll get much better feedback.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Your weekly mileage over the last couple of months will be an important input if folks are to give you any idea of what is reasonable.  If you've been running over 30 miles a week, and did that 10 mile tempo within that 30+ mile week, I'd say 7:45 pace seems well within reach.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Along with weekly mileage during that 10 mile tempo, but what course it is? Weather could be a big factor in 2 months. With 8 weeks of training you can definitely build on what you have. Just doing one 10 mile run at 7:57 doesn't tell the whole story if your race is hilly and ends up being 60F at the start.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

On a flat course, you could probably do it in an early april run. If the weather is hot 2 months from now, it will be more difficult despite the extra training.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I must have had my notifications turned off!

I've been running about 30-35 miles a week  The course will be flat and is in Deleware. It is near the beach so I'm hoping wind isn't too bad!

I havent been logging my runs on RA, but maybe I can go back and do it to get a better idea of where I stand as a whole. I'm getting so excited for race day and hope I can hold that pace

Your weekly mileage over the last couple of months will be an important input if folks are to give you any idea of what is reasonable.  If you've been running over 30 miles a week, and did that 10 mile tempo within that 30+ mile week, I'd say 7:45 pace seems well within reach.

Thanks for your insight!

I've added the last 4 weeks into the log, but it's slow going.

I've just recently discovered this site and plan on logging going forward.

Are you logging your runs on RA? If you are and make your log public, you'll get much better feedback.