2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

xhristopher

Vilch, looks like you've been thinking about it. I'd say longer and bigger (and consistent) base mileage will do you well. Start it now.

Speaking of now, who's running the 2013 thread? I've already got 2013 in my cross-hairs.

Was it all a dream?

A bit last minute, but please add me for the Flying Monkey Marathon this Sunday (11/18).  Thanks.

Ended up 2:34:17.   Upper 30's at the start and mid 50's by the finish, so basically a perfect day for racing.  Lots of hills per usual, but I think my quads have finally forgiven me.

[Competitive] Jerk

Hi all,

I'm kind of late for this party considering I finished my 2012 running season and I'm not starting up again until next April but I thought I'd say hi. I'm also an RWOL exile who's looking at other forums to talk about running.

This year I ran Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge and ran a 3:02 and a 2:54. In the fall I was going to run NYC and ended up running Philly as a back-up race. I ran a 2:44:41.

Next year I'll be running the 5 original Marathon Majors and hope to race 2 of them (Boston, Berlin) while run sub-3 on the other 3 (London, Chicago, NYC).

bhearn

Wow, Greg -- very impressive. Were you top 5 Boston to Big Sur?

I ran 3:19 / 3:12 at Boston to Big Sur this year. Boston was supposed to be sub-3, but, well, you know. So I ran it easy and saved it for Big Sur, which, alas, is not a PR course. I did run my first sub-3 doing Boston to Big Sur, though, in 2009 (before B2B was an actual event).

I've always wanted to do all the marathon majors in a year, but haven't gotten around to working out the logistics. Good luck.

I'm up next, for CIM this Sunday. I will pace to PR (2:58:41), but realistically neither my training nor my weight are where they should be. I'm going to have to take advantage of CIM being a faster course than Boston to have any chance.

Welcome, Greg!

POINT OF ORDER.  I've enjoyed maintaining this thread and, training and the Running Gods willing, I intend to be a participant in next year's edition. I'm happy to launch and be the Duane Schneider for the 2013 thread, but I'm equally happy to pass the torch if anyone out there has a hankering for it.  Speak up in the next week or two, please.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

[Competitive] Jerk

bhearn - I was 7th overall in the challenge but if you told me that a 5:57 combined time would not get top 5 in 2012 with the heat in Boston ahead of time I would not have believed you. I was a bit bummed for not making top 5 but I got 3rd in my AG in Big Sur so that was a bit of consolation. I had the same idea as you about running easy in Boston but apparently some crazy fast guys could hang both in the heat and over the hills. Best of luck at CIM!

As for the Marathon Majors, I was going to do all majors in a year but Tokyo became a marathon major and I'm not ready to run a marathon in February, 2013 neither physically nor financially so I'll settle for running the 5 originals in 2013 and running Tokyo in 2014. I will still run all 6 majors within 12 months and I will run the original 5 in the same calendar year. It'll be like Tiger Woods who won all majors within 12 months but not in the same calendar year. Smile

cincyrunner

I realize the year is winding up, but figured I would pop in, and hopefully stick around for the 2013 thread. I am from Runners World as well (Mark S. -rw). Hi Gus & Greg and everyone else too!

I ran four marathons in 2012:

Miami 2:56:47

Flying Pig 2:56:49

Akron 2:56:25

Monumental 2:55:53

No PR's at any distance (age 40) for the first time, so I have some work to do before Boston. I purchased Bill Squires / Bruce Lehane's  "Speed With Endurance" book from their website and plan on using that for training. I'll have to up my speedwork - it calls for more than I have been doing in the past couple of years. There is typically track work every week, and the long runs usually have surges thrown in every 10 minutes once you are warmed up. Many of the other runs are "relaxed", which calls for 2 minutes slower than 5k pace, so that is not as relaxed as I am used to Smile

I think four marathons was too much. I did five in 2011. I need to stop signing up for all of these. I do have Akron & Boston already in 2013.

bhearn

CIM forecast: heavy rain, 18-mph headwind. I just cannot catch a break on my goal races.

xhristopher

CIM forecast: heavy rain, 18-mph headwind. I just cannot catch a break on my goal races.

Sounds a tad rough. Back up plan??

xhristopher

POINT OF ORDER.  I've enjoyed maintaining this thread and, training and the Running Gods willing, I intend to be a participant in next year's edition. I'm happy to launch and be the Duane Schneider for the 2013 thread, but I'm equally happy to pass the torch if anyone out there has a hankering for it.  Speak up in the next week or two, please.

Despite the smokes, Schneider looks like a sub 3 guy.

joescott

Dang, dude.  I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that forecast changes for you. 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Of the graduates, for how many is this their first time Sub-3?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

At least you're well-insulated.

Evil

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

xhristopher

Of the graduates, for how many is this their first time Sub-3?

Someone posed a related question earlier this year.

Sub 3 How many miles per week?

Someone posed a related question earlier this year.

Sub 3 How many miles per week?

Not to nit-pick, but how is that related to how many of the people in this thread who broke 3 did it for the first time this year?