Refrigeration of mixed carbohydrate supplements (Read 77 times)

I used to use Polycose as a carbohydrate supplement, but is seems that it is no longer available.  So, I've been trying Genr8 Vitargo S2 and Carbo Gain.  I know that Polycose needed to be refrigerated after it was mixed if it was not going to be used right away.  But I can't find anything about the need to refrigerate these other products after mixing.  Any idea?

xhristopher

I don't know. My carbo supplement, beer, is best fridge-rated but will keep for periods of time warm. Perhaps, like with many beers, it's better fresh or stored in a cool place.

Serious question: why would anyone need a carbohydrate suppliment? Aren't carbohydrates readily available in foods that are all around us?

Runners run

Not if you don't want to "Turn off muscle protein breakdown 178% greater insulin than maltodextrin + sugars, within 10 minutes - the most potent, natural way to activate the anti-catabolic signals that spare muscle protein" after the workout.

Not if you don't want to "Turn off muscle protein breakdown 178% greater insulin than maltodextrin + sugars, within 10 minutes - the most potent, natural way to activate the anti-catabolic signals that spare muscle protein" after the workout.

Oh.

Runners run

I use it essentially for marathon carb loading.  Also, on long runs 16+ miles and marathons, I carry a 700 ml handheld which contains a mixture of a carbohydrate/water solution to aid in glycogen replacement.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Vitargo is basically a cereal (100% barley) so I think of it that way.

When I used it for training runs, to see if I could tolerate it, I didn't worry about keeping it

cold as it wasn't out side all that long maybe 4 hours.   However, the one time that I used it

for a summer ultra (Georgia) I kept it in an ice chest.   Also, I made it up the night before and

kept in the fridge overnight.

To me the plain flavor has a vague cereal smell - taste but the tropical flavor was absolutely

disgusting.

Mta:  I've never used it since.  In it's way it's just as bad as hours of gels.

steph  

i was thinking along of the lines of having mixed it Saturday night and stuck it in the refrigerator anticipating a Sunday long run which was rained out.  Left it in the refrigerator a couple of days and then took it to work and stuck it in the refrigerator there so I could use it for long intervals on Wednesday. (Just to use it up and not waste it.)  Made me wonder if all this refrigeration was necessary.

For instance, the Vitargo S2 dissolves so poorly that I actually mix it with hot tap water, shake it, and then stick it in the refrigerator.  I was wondering about putting it in the car the following morning and just leaving it there for an after-work run for example. (or likewise the Carbo Gain)

Don't really understand this.  Seems that sugar water wouldn't need refrigeration, but Polycose does.  These are all carbohydrates, but different molecules.  I'll try asking DD who has a PhD in organic chemistry.  Seems if refrigeration were actually necessary that there would be some indication on the label.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Don't really understand this.  Seems that sugar water wouldn't need refrigeration, but Polycose does.  These are all carbohydrates, but different molecules.  I'll try asking DD who has a PhD in organic chemistry.  Seems if refrigeration were actually necessary that there would be some indication on the label.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that on the 26 serving container of Hammer Gel, the instructions

say to refrigerate un-used portion.  Don't know if that helps you or not 

steph  

I don't use it but I know a girl who swears by this stuff http://www.generationucan.com/home.html

They don't tell you to refrigerate it.  You could probably email the company or call and ask.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt