Swimming vs. Weight Training (Read 6467 times)

aybeerunning

Hello all: I run about 30 miles per week and 5 days a week. On the other two days, I swim 1.5-2km each. Lately I have been getting a lot of comments that I have become too skinny etc etc (and I started running because I was 25 pounds over weightBig grin ) Does swimming workout the upper body enough to create "some" bulk or do I necessarily have to do weights? Honestly I find lifting quite boring. I did it for a couple of years during my last fitness craze but never really looked forward to it. Thanks for the advise, ab

Why is it sideways?

6-1, 160 doesn't sound too skinny to me. But yeah, when I swim consistently, I get a little more ripped in my upper-body without putting on weight. You might also try body-weight exercises like pull-ups, dips, push-ups, etc. Stuff like that will let you stay light but keep the guns.
      Slo

We're of pretty similiar stature 6' +" 160 - 165lbs and I get the skinny comments all the time.......except at the pool. Then I hear comments like Ripped ! I've been swimming for about 4 years. In the last two years my goal has been 8000 - 9000 yds/week (3 - 4 sessions) After a couple of months of this I really noticed the bulk and definition in my shoulders and lats. If you do flip turns you can work your abs and if you do kick board drills you can hit your glutes. I believe if it's your desire to add bulk then a weight training routine combined with diet is going to be necessary. Several years ago I hit the weights hard and added about 10 lbs......Problem was maintaining it......I would lose it fast. So I've come to the conclusion I would rather look better naked with defined abs than in a tight shirt with a thick neck and bulging biceps.

Maniac

So I've come to the conclusion I would rather look better naked with defined abs than in a tight shirt with a thick neck and bulging biceps.
          I want both...How do I do that?

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Slo

I don't know. For me.....in my short period of body building.....running or any other form of cardio work was counter productive. I was drinking the weight gainer shakes that are like 1800 calories per serving. Combine that with all the other junk and it cost you a small fortune too. Then again, late 30's is a little late in the game to "bulk up".
            protoplasm72

Swimming is not really going to bulk you up. If your goal is to add bulk then you'll probably have to lift weights. My suggestion is to just let people get used to the new you. you probably look skinny cause they are used to seeing you with an extra 25 pounds. You're not in the scary skinny range yet Shocked

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Trigirl

Does swimming workout the upper body enough to create "some" bulk or do I necessarily have to do weights? Honestly I find lifting quite boring. I did it for a couple of years during my last fitness craze but never really looked forward to it. As a former competitive swimmer and now triathlete, I would say so much depends on your genetics. I know life long seriously good swimmers that still carry around extra pounds! I also know swimmers that swim only several times a week but are ripped! But I think if you are looking to "bulk up" a bit, weights would be the way to go opposed to swimming...plus probably some extra supplements (protein powder etc) . I also agree with protoplasm72 in that people are probably not used to seeing you 25 pounds lighter!

2010 results: Muskoka long course: 2km-55km-15km- 1st in age group (qualified for Ironman Canada), 4th female amateur overall; Smith Falls triathlon- first female overall; 5 km Canada Day running race- 20:42 (fourth female overall). My first pure running race! Quinte triathlon 1.5-40km-10km Second female overall; Ktown triathlon -first female overall (2km-55km-15km) Mt Forest triathlon (500-20km-5km) 1st female overall; Brockville triathlon (750-20-5km) 1st place female overall

2011 results: (Racing with Piriformis syndrome-ouch)  Sydenham Triathlon- 1st female overall; Peterborough Triathlon-4th female (out of 185)and 1st in age group.....

aybeerunning

Thanks everyone. I'm just looking at a little more "definition" rather than bulking up. Perhaps I will just do some push ups and crunches and see what happens in a couple of months. ab
                  protoplasm72

Sounds like the perfect time to join the hundred pushup challenge. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/pushup/

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

aybeerunning

100 push ups ??? Shocked but this IS a running forum. I will give it a try and maybe some pull ups also when I go to the gym to use the treadmill.
                      TedsHead

Team Me, Myself & I

Aybee, grab a snickers and head to the gym & do some pushps, pullups and dips as suggested. But do not join the 100 PU challenge. It is endless and you, as many others, will quickly lose interest and quit. Proto shamelessly promotes the site to make himself feel better. Clowning around Other than AzBird (sorry), you are all physical freaks (that's not a bad thing) who can run like the wind, but not naturally gain weight/bulk, like the rest of us who at times struggle. Although, I am my own worst ememy with beer & Chez-It. Only insurance companies and eachother think you look fine. Evil grin I can't believe other pork chops (like myself) haven't commented. 6'1' 160lbs is on the slim side in our fast food society, just like 5'7' 135lbs. I was told I looked to light at 159 lbs, after dropping 24 lbs last year (since gained 10 back). Still, that was 24 lbs more than Jeff, and I wouldn't have wanted to lose more than 4lbs much less another 20 to get to his weight. At that point I was close with both my weight and definition. Although I don't workout specifically to get big. AzBird, it can be done and I think you already know how (lose the snickers) run, watch what you eat, and weight train, easy Big grin BTW Aybee, RA isn't only about running. If it was, half the people wouldn't bother to log on. Look around, there is a lot of people doing amazing things here, including running. Smile
                          Swimming will develop your delts traps and tris an that is about it as far as muscle growth goes.

SMART Approach

Trigirl nailed it. Genetics determine your ability to pack on muscle. Generally, though endurance type activity is not conducive to muscle bulk. If you are swim sprinter, you may have a greater liklihood of of putting on more muscle. I find though that serious swimmers (and most heavy training endurance athletes) are putting in so much time that it is very difficult to eat enough. If you don't eat enough, you won't be putting on extra muscle.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

If you want to use swimming to add bulk to your upper body, you can try sprinkling in some intensive workouts. Sprints, tempos and working with hand paddles and pull buoy. But don't overdo it as it can cause injury. I sometimes get comments from people about being too skinny. Usually, those people are overweight. Wink
                              aybeerunning

Thanks for all the comments. Many articles promote the importance of weight training for overall well-being (long-term strength, bone density etc.) If I am not particularly interested in "bulking up", will the resistance training provided by swimming offer the same benefits? I am just looking to develop a fitness plan for the long run which isn't too difficult for me to adhere to. For me that means staying outdoors and avoiding the machines at the gym. Big grin