Cross training (Read 867 times)

I am starting out doing miles on a NordicTrac XC Ski machine. It is easier on my knee as it glides rather than the pounding of running.Tthis weekend I'll start running. My questions are: 1. I am "skiing" 10:21 mile, is it asking too much to think I can start running a 10:21 mile? 2. If not, what is the average conversion for "Skiing" to running in relation to distance and time?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Wingz

Professional Noob

Yikes! I don't really know, but I'd guess it's different. Differrent muscles, more impact, and no gliding (unless it's winter in Minnesota... Wink ). I don't think there's a good way to find out your running speed without... going out and running! Good luck this weekend... and remember, wherever you're at right now is just a starting point. Everyone starts somewhere different. Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

It didn't hurt to ask! That is what I love about the internet! Some one some where knows or knows some one who does! I can tell you that my upper legs are sore as hell right now. A good thing, as it let me know my workouts are working, and my knee is getting better. Sure hope the new shoes help out there too. When I lived iin Montana (Stationed there almost 4 years) I learned down hill skiing and loved it. I thought XC skiing was nuts as God invented the man who invented the 4 wheel drive, and I figured God had a reason for doing that. Who knew?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Wingz

Professional Noob

Well, if you want to look at it that way, God also invented XC skiing... Big grin

Spoil sport Big grin That NordicTrac is coming in very usefull now. I figure I'll be down to about 210# by the 15k in late Sept and well under 200# by the One America 500 Festival in May 2007

I don't have an answer, but I just wanted to say that I've just started using a nordictrack, too. Big grin My stepdad was done with it (no room--just moved to condo) and so I took it. I used it today for the first time. I was surprised at what a good workout it was. I was drenched by the time I was done.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Props go to anyone who can figure-out how to work a XC ski machine--I can do the real thing (that reminds me, I need to get new boots and bindings on my old boards), but NordicTracs always mess me up and I just can't get the motion right. Great year-round workout, though, and easier on the knees than running. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Well I think the answer is you can not expect to run the same distance for the same time. At least I can't. I found myself doing a lot of fast walking or jogging 30 seconds walking 30 etc and thinking "what the hell am I doing?"

Wingz

Professional Noob

I found myself doing a lot of fast walking or jogging 30 seconds walking 30 etc and thinking "what the hell am I doing?"
                    Smile That sounds about right for someone just starting out running! Don't sweat it! You'll get better. My first jogs weren't even that long! I didn't want to say you can't do it because everyone's different. There are some people out there that can actually jump right into running without this 30 second walk/run thing. I envy them terribly!

Yep I reallly can't complain for the real run (OK run walk) I just have to make sure that I keep the chant HEAL toe HEAL toe!! This training is really for the One America 500 Festival Mini in May 2007 so I have time and need to keep that in mind