Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Some good 5k workouts: •3x(600m-1000m) with 4 minute recoveries. It's a continuous 1600m run. Blast the first 600m, then slowdown and run the last 1000m at current 5k pace. The fast 600m at the beginning will make the parts at 5k pace seem easy. •3x1600m / 1min rest •6x800 / 30sec rest •12x400 / 15 sec rest For each of the above three, run at the fastest pace that you can sustain for the duration of the workout. •20 min hard tempo run at 10k pace (about 16sec/mile slower than current 5k pace) •4x1200m with 3~4 min recovery. Run laps 1 and 3 at current 5k pace, run lap 2 faster Of course, remember that speedwork is the icing on the cake. The cake is a solid aerobic base of easy miles. Don't try adding the icing until you've got the cake.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Thanks for posting those workouts In the past I have run one interval session a week, running the same distance (quarter mile, half mile, or 1000M), starting with two or three reps, adding one rep each week until the total fast running equaled three miles, and then repeating until snow/ice and ambition stop me. I have been thinking about mixing the distances up - one week half milers, next week full miles, another week ladders, maybe one week run two tempo runs. Those workouts are helpful. If it would only stop snowing in Maine....
      Kenotic Runner

DS15's goal is sub-17 at this point. His PR is 17:06. Grr.
        Last summer my goal was sub 20. I hit 20:04. Grr indeed. This summer, I'm gong for 19:30. I wonder if I should go for 19?
        Of course, remember that speedwork is the icing on the cake. The cake is a solid aerobic base of easy miles. Don't try adding the icing until you've got the cake.
        Right now I'm working on cake...
          Ran a new PR of 22:08 today. Not sure what I need to get closer to 20, more miles or more speedwork (or both). I know I should try and get my mileage up to 25+ again, but don't know how to balance that with speedwork and all the races coming up. I had built up to 22-25 miles a week (most I've ever run) for a while but started getting some nagging pains and backed off.
          andyndallas

Got pretty close about 8 years ago with a 20:40. Still a goal. May not happen this year, but maybe next.
            ...and miles to go before I sleep
              For those hardy Massholes looking for a pre-season tuneup, the Super 5K runs in beautiful Lowell at noon on Super Sunday, snow or shine. I just gotta get a Bruschi jersey so I can run "full tilt, full-time" like Tedy.
              BadDawg, I just saw this thread. I too ran the Super 5k this year and got my sub 20 5k. I ran the Super 5k last year and ran 20:36. I trained in 2007 for the Baystate marathon and used the added mileage to improve as a runner. The Super5k was a tuneup race for me as I ran the Hyannis Half Marathon. Both were PRs for me, and I felt the training I did for the HM helped in the 5k. I've run two 5k's in my life and each time I went out a bit faster than I planned. I was able to carry the pace through 2 miles and gut it out for the final mile. Running extra miles and more specific 5k training would probably help, but it can be done on < 30 miles per week. and no i'm not some super light gazelle, i'm 5'10 almost 180. being from chelmsford i run the john carson 2m race every 7/4. my times over the last 3 years are 15:40, 13:50, 12:30. it has been a gradual progession, but without grinding myself into dust. you can get there too!! 30="" miles="" per="" week.="" and="" no="" i'm="" not="" some="" super="" light="" gazelle,="" i'm="" 5'10="" almost="" 180.="" being="" from="" chelmsford="" i="" run="" the="" john="" carson="" 2m="" race="" every="" 7/4.="" my="" times="" over="" the="" last="" 3="" years="" are="" 15:40,="" 13:50,="" 12:30.="" it="" has="" been="" a="" gradual="" progession,="" but="" without="" grinding="" myself="" into="" dust.="" you="" can="" get="" there="" too!!=""></ 30 miles per week. and no i'm not some super light gazelle, i'm 5'10 almost 180. being from chelmsford i run the john carson 2m race every 7/4. my times over the last 3 years are 15:40, 13:50, 12:30. it has been a gradual progession, but without grinding myself into dust. you can get there too!! >
              PRs 2 mile: 12:30 7/07 5k: 19:39 8/08 10k: 44:12 5/07 HalfM: 1:35:06 2/08 25k: 1:57:30 9/08 Mar: 3:19:07 10/08
                Congratulations jcaruso _______ Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. Remember clocks "spring ahead" so do not be late (or early?) I am racing a 5K Sunday. Right now an aggressive, but sort of doable goal for me will be sub 22 minutes. I hope to be in better shape this spring. I need to lose 10 pounds, and get over a miserable cold. Any one else racing?
                Scott3294

Graduated!!!! March of Dimes Shamrock Run here in Savannah tonight at 6p. Official gun time 19:39, chip time 19:37. 25th overall. Now on to the next mile stone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big grin Scott
                    Been running since August 2004. Thought I would break 20 within a year of that but my best so far is 20:17 set last July 7th. Going on 4 years and I am more determined than ever to break 20. Trying to run 40 miles most weeks. I think the longer you train the more you realize what you need to do. Coaching and tips can only go so far. You need to be confident in what you are doing. Ran 119 miles in January, 126 in Feb and 40 in 1st week of March.
                      Been running since August 2004. Thought I would break 20 within a year of that but my best so far is 20:17 set last July 7th. Going on 4 years and I am more determined than ever to break 20. Trying to run 40 miles most weeks. I think the longer you train the more you realize what you need to do. Coaching and tips can only go so far. You need to be confident in what you are doing. Ran 119 miles in January, 126 in Feb and 40 in 1st week of March.
                      What type of race strategies have you tried? Even pace? go out fast? slow?
                      PRs 2 mile: 12:30 7/07 5k: 19:39 8/08 10k: 44:12 5/07 HalfM: 1:35:06 2/08 25k: 1:57:30 9/08 Mar: 3:19:07 10/08
                        What type of race strategies have you tried? Even pace? go out fast? slow?
                        Last year I aimed for around 6:25 for the opening mile..I could usually run 6:35 or less. My 2nd mile time was about 18 seconds slower than mile 1 ... no matter the mile 1 pace. So a typical 5k would be splits of 6:30, 6:48, 6:42 for a final time of around 20:35. I would like to run a time trial this week. I want to go out a little faster. Hoping for all three miles to be around 6:30 but just maybe I can gain some seconds on that 1st mile if all goes well.
                          5k trial in my local area alone in 21:22 last night. Started out with a short 1/2 mile warmup. Then ran mile 1 in 6:36, mile 2 in 6:50 which gave me a 13:26 two mile split. Thinking I want to run a 5k race next Saturday I gave up trying to hammer the last mile. I was trying to decide if I wanted to break 21 or not but the grim reaper got me and I half heartily ran a 7:20 last mile. I cannot get down on this effort. Must keep the miles coming. 25 miles this week....105 miles the last 18 days. Hope to race Saturday March 22.
                            5k trial in my local area alone in 21:22 last night. Started out with a short 1/2 mile warmup. Then ran mile 1 in 6:36, mile 2 in 6:50 which gave me a 13:26 two mile split. Thinking I want to run a 5k race next Saturday I gave up trying to hammer the last mile. I was trying to decide if I wanted to break 21 or not but the grim reaper got me and I half heartily ran a 7:20 last mile. I cannot get down on this effort. Must keep the miles coming. 25 miles this week....105 miles the last 18 days. Hope to race Saturday March 22.
                            Nice work Michigan. Good luck Saturday. I had a bad/hard winter in that I ate excessively, gaining 10+ pounds. I lost five of those 10 pounds, though, and hope to lose another five over the next few weeks. I also came down with a miserable cold last November, and am just getting over another one right now. I am thinking this year will be a "rebuilding" year for me, and will give sub 20 a shot in 2009.
                              i am up for a crack at this, running around the 7 min mile for three miles so need to knock 1:30min off that. now just need to find a 5k local
                                Nice work Michigan. Good luck Saturday. I had a bad/hard winter in that I ate excessively, gaining 10+ pounds. I lost five of those 10 pounds, though, and hope to lose another five over the next few weeks. I also came down with a miserable cold last November, and am just getting over another one right now. I am thinking this year will be a "rebuilding" year for me, and will give sub 20 a shot in 2009.
                                Thanks Maine Runner. I think you can get back to 20 alot faster then you are giving yourself credit. I like the way you think though....relax and if 20 comes it will come. I have been too obsessed with it and need to enjoy running more. I just turned 35 and even though I am running more than last year my weight is inching up. Maybe I hit that age where the metabolism slows down. Still at 148 pounds though so not reason to be concerned. Today I will be aiming for 5 X 1 Mile Tempo pace...approx 7:02 per mile pace.