Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - nice week.  I did a XC race last year... definitely good for the legs as it's quite different to running on road or even trail!  At 2km you won't be suffering too much.

Flavio - nice week, can't wait to see the costume antics...

JMac - great RR.  Nailing a PR like that on a course which has late hills on a tough day weather-wise is something to be pretty proud of, there's a lot to be said for getting it done despite everything that the race throws at you (and a less-than-ideal build up).  Your description of the hills reminded me a lot of Road Relays last year... the first one was fine, the second one was OK, the third one I wanted to die (fortunately it was only 1km to the finish from there for me).  It's funny how a marathon can turn a small hill into something pretty horrible.  There's an undulation coming past the port which only has around 10-15m elevation gain, I barely notice it normally... but hitting it 39km into a marathon it felt like a damned mountain.

Also, I'm staggered that the fact Boston had urinals was a surprise.  They have them at almost every race down here.  Even smaller races can end up with some bad toilet queues but there is never a queue for the urinal.

Keen - I love it how you consider 50 miles to be 'light'.  That would be a normal training week for me!

Me - OK coach has got me running 6 days a week over the next few weeks, building to Christchurch.  This could be close to a 100km week this week with long runs on Thursday (public holiday) and Sunday.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Guess the urinals haven't made it up north!

DW - Just bought another pair of the Takumi Sen, they're my go to for the 5K, but I may try this "dead VF" idea of yours as I get more mileage in them. Right now mine only have about 60 miles in them so may not be this year.

Keen - it's definitely awkward timing. My guess is that I only get in one run of 2 hours, and one true threshold workout, during the time period. But that's okay, I'm not going to be devastated if I don't PR during this race. It's just a chance for me to see if it's possible. I'll get a much better chance this fall to go for one of my original goals on this thread, which was to go sub 1:15 this year.

Flavio - Since your name make me think of Flavor Flav each time I read it, I think you should run in a costume that looks like him. His signature look is a clock so you will always know what your splits are!: http://mypartyshirt.com/flavor-flav-costume

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Watson - I did warm up a bit, in hindsight maybe I needed a bit more. My heart rate was going up very fast, and I was out of breath after only 3km. But then again, maybe the 14 hour bus ride the day before could have had some impact.
        How's that X-country course like?

Jmac -

LOL at that costume, only problems are it's out of stock and well, nobody knows that dude around these parts.

After getting burned with so many niggles after your previous marathon, we'd hope
        you've learned your lesson by now haha. Just take it easy, money is in the bank, your
        sole objective now is to arrive healthy to the start line and maybe a few leg speed workouts
        so the legs don't forget how it's like to move fast.
        We all know your aim will be 1:14:41 

MJ - how's training going on? You've been keeping a low profile, any races coming up?
        Sorry if you already mentioned that.

DW - I saw that same effect happen to the Altra Escalantes. Too bouncy initially but
        then they became very good and they've lasted me 600 miles so far.

Mark - will you keep the 2 a week strength routine now with 6 days of running?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - I second the Flava Flav recommendation for Flavio.

Flavio - most likely I'll have one straight weights workout day which I'll do upper body and core only to give the legs a genuine day off.  I'll probably try and get some leg strength work in after shorter runs and spread it across a couple of days so I'm not punishing my legs too much.  It's a bit of trial and error but it worked OK when I was running 6 days/week coming up to the marathon a couple years ago.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac -  Great RR and more importantly, great race.  Being able to get through and even PR while suffering is amazing.

I'm in my post-race doldrums where training still hurts (seems it takes me longer to recover from even just a half than everyone else here) and it's hard to find motivation with a holiday coming up in 2 weeks and no race until at least August.  I think for pretty much all of May I'll be looking to build a bigger base although while on holiday I'll just be trying to do whatever I can especially with the warmer temperatures in Texas, Louisiana and Florida.

It's also hard not to feel a bit bluesy after a really good build up which didn't end in meeting a goal, knowing there is a long time until I can go again and anything could happen before then.  Last year my August race had a terrible training cycle with basically no speed and then quite a bad cold 2 weeks out.  Given that ended with a 1:32, I just want a moderately good build up to finally go sub 90 again.

Anyone else get the post-race blues?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

watsonc123

Mark and Flavio - I have been told the course is in undulating with a small hill near the end.

Steve - I find it hard post a poor race.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - Just bought another pair of the Takumi Sen, they're my go to for the 5K, but I may try this "dead VF" idea of yours as I get more mileage in them. Right now mine only have about 60 miles in them so may not be this year.

Just to build on this, the Takumi Sen was always my go to for the 5K as well.    But...my beloved pair have proven very hard to replace (they don't make them in women's sizes, so finding my size is challenging).  So I'm saving those for road miles.

Plus,  I think I like the compacted zombie VFs as much.  The compacted VFs are still slightly less maneuverable than the Takumi Sen - I don't kick quite as well in them.  But I like the higher heel drop in the VFs.  And the VFs are much more stable once they're properly broken in.  And... the more miles I put on the old VFs, the more they feel like my Takumi Sens....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Just to build on this, the Takumi Sen was always my go to for the 5K as well.    But...my beloved pair have proven very hard to replace (they don't make them in women's sizes, so finding my size is challenging).  So I'm saving those for road miles.

Plus,  I think I like the compacted zombie VFs as much.  The compacted VFs are still slightly less maneuverable than the Takumi Sen - I don't kick quite as well in them.  But I like the higher heel drop in the VFs.  And the VFs are much more stable once they're properly broken in.  And... the more miles I put on the old VFs, the more they feel like my Takumi Sens....

I don't race a lot of 5k's or 10k's but this discussion has got me thinking.  I've tended to use the same shoes for racing 5K, 10K and HMs thus far (currently Saucony Fastwitch).  I'm not sure my budget stretches to VFs but I'm sorely tempted to give the Saucony Type A8 a go at 10k races in August/Sept.  It rates well and is around 10% lighter than the Fastwitch.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Flavio: last week I was just short of 50km and this week will be a bit lower still. I am very busy at work which I love so I am happy - but running has taken more of a backseat. Plus my legs dont nearly have the mileage of you guys, so I shouldnt be posting here since I am nowhere near 90 minutes shape. But I just refuse to leave 😀

I will try to race more frequently this year - there is a half in May, then a 14k in August and another half in September. Those are already on the calendar. The May half is in 6 weeks. I havent been doing any specific workouts and now its probably almost too late; but will have to incorporate some tempos in order to make it less painful and more enjoyable.

Thats it in a nutshell. Not exciting, but I am at peace with it 😀 have also started to do some breathing exercises which are pretty cool and help me focus better on form. As I said I thought the 90 minutes thing was easier, but with my average level of talent will take me probably another couple of years to reach.😁

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Hi all,

my first taper week is in the book. A strange taper week, with a couple of days in which I had to paint (good strength exercise for my arms, but I was very tired in the middle of last week ...)

I managed almost 50 miles, with good speed (Race pace or below) in a few intervals. On Thursday I will run my last interval VOmax training and then is real taper until the 5th of May.

Mikkey, good luck with London, and see you in Belfast (at least for a coffee, since I doubt I will want to run fast - at your recovery paceSmile

have a good week

marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - It's just Mark and Mikkey that get free recovery rides, everybody else suffers the same heh.

MJ - You can do it no doubt, every km you run counts and improves you just that one bit.
                        Over time you will reap the results.
                        Some dudes in my running group run even less and are running sub 1h30 from just 4 days a week.

me - 10000m time trial today in 39:20. It came as a surprise as I got the training schedule on the app just yesterday.

Weather was alright, 20c 68F but dew point just 64, it didn't feel that warm.

I'm happy with the result, not so happy with my running form LOL. I don't have as much of that chicken wing on the right side that I had. But it seems that I'm doing a lot of tiny steps. Posture has improved a lot though.

Sorry about the crappy video quality, this has been shared over Whatsapp. What's funny is that usually people will drop to the ground to recover their breath and the running coach goes over them to troll them while they're out of breath, but I had to walk a long way to recover my breath and frustrated his interview LOL

10000m time trial video

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I enjoyed the RR. Looks like you have some solid take-aways from the race and prior training cycle.

Flavio - I didn't know (or didn't remember) that you're a fan of the Escalante as well. I typically change mine out fairly soon after hitting 600mi on them myself. I did develop a niggle in my right foot while wearing my last daily driver pair (it went away using different shoes), so I retired those after "only" 450mi.
                          Nice TT, especially in what I would consider to be less-than-ideal conditions. Is that yellow and black shirt a team kit?

Steve - I definitely got the "post-race blues" after my November full. After that one I learned that I really need to have a follow-up goal race already planned, because my motivation to run absolutely tanked for a while after that race. It took a few weeks and deciding on what I wanted to do next to get past it. I now have some big races planned out for more the next year-and-a-half...

MJ - I think you can still get in a few good workouts prior to that HM. And a 14k? Seems like an odd race distance, is there something behind that? We have a 15k every year here (with accompanying 5k and 25k) that serves as a big fundraiser for the local running club. Hopefully I'll be able to run it again this year.

Marco - Good job getting through that first taper week.

Me - Big workout this morning (6x 2k at between T and 10k effort w/ 2 min rest) so I'll probably call it quits on quality work for the rest of the week ahead of the marathon-distance LR this weekend. A thunderstorm had me on the treadmill again for this - if only I could match that pace for the same effort on roads!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Right now, 1:14 seems so far away, but then I look and it's only 6 seconds per mile. I have to be able to find that over the next few months, right?

Flavio - my running form looks worse than that, so I can't say anything.

Steve / Post-Race Blues - Definitely get that. Steve - if you read my race report, I PR'd and even I wanted nothing to do with running right after the race, honestly thought about quitting the hobby during those last few miles. Just like Keen though the biggest thing for me is planning. It's funny you guys brought it up because I just planned out the rest of my year. There's a 95% chance it will change, but having a plan both excites and motivates me. Now a week after Boston, I can't wait to run some of these 5Ks I have, plus my tune up races this fall. You should do the same thing: find some 5Ks and 10Ks to run, why can't you run anything during the winter?

Keen - you and these marathon long runs, you're crazy.

MJ - Nobody cares whether you can actually run sub 1:30, please stick around. You are the local court jester, although Kiwi coming back means you'll have a run for your money 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac no one is replacing me as resident troll and smutty comedian.

Considering your interrupted training cycles you still have plenty of potential. I get the pre race blues hence my retirement from racing 

Keen we actually had a 14k race here but part of a half marathon event although I think it changed to a 10k this year which makes more sense.

Flavio I saw your TT on strava very nice especially without a race atmosphere to push you. I'm amazed at your endurance for an 80kg guy. I'm a giant for a runner at 70kgs now. Oh and cool video. You run like me with a shortish stride and fast cadence. I would love to have my heels kicking up near my butt. Tight hamstrings don't allow it.

Marco I owe Mikkey a coffee so can you get him one for me please. I will write an I owe you on a bit of paper and fix you up when we meet 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - No reason why I can't.  I always plan to when I have a decent period between goal races but it never seems to work out.  I also don't like the idea of "sacrificing" a weekend long run just for a 5km or 10km...I guess I can double up that day though.  I was actually thinking about entering one in USA which will thrill the gf, but just to see how races are organised and the atmosphere over there.  I've run in NZ, Aus and the UK and they're all much of a muchness but I suspect people will be less reserved in the States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9b3_O7hEl4

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024