Getting Running Advice from a Running Store (Read 866 times)

Over lunch I stopped in a local running store.  The owner's wife was professionally helping another customer and she was probing about what events he does. Anyway, he tells her he trains for marathons and his goal is to get faster, not just finish.  Then, she proceeds to tell him he shouldn't run more than 35 miles/week.  I sure hope that guy ignores that advice.

L Train

Those armwarmers on that rack right there will help you run faster.  And don't they look sah-weet?!

#artbydmcbride

Got to keep those legs fresh ifen you want to run faster!    Makes sense to me!

Runners run

mikeymike

"Mikey, the new Peg is anything but "beefy". It's a great update. BCR, you'll like it. Look into the new Nike Flyknit for your marathons. At under 8oz it's still a durable everyday trainer type of shoe with a very light "minimal" upper. Oh...and eff me that tongue is long! What's her #?"

Runners run

I hear that Crossfit-style short interval training is great for endurance events like the marathon, and even those ultra marathons. 

ultramarathon/triathlete

And don't forget you pretty much need to have these shoes that are exactly like barefoot running, if you want to run a fast marathon. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

Troy.

I coach a high school team, and I tell my runners that when they go into a running store, they should ask the person helping them how many miles they ran last week so they'll know how seriously to take their advice.

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

xor

"Mikey, the new Peg is anything but "beefy". It's a great update. BCR, you'll like it. Look into the new Nike Flyknit for your marathons. At under 8oz it's still a durable everyday trainer type of shoe with a very light "minimal" upper. Oh...and eff me that tongue is long! What's her #?"

I missed this last week, but have now read over it at least 10 times.  I have absolutely no idea what it means, but it is mesmerizing.

==

I have heard the worst running advice EVER at running stores.

I have gotten some of the best running advice at running stores.

Weirdly, one of my best running conversations I can recall happened with the dude who was selling me the hateful Montrails (that absolutely did not fit my feet properly, hurt me several times, and which I metaphorically burned. The shoes, not my feet.) 

I do not know what that means either, but it is not mesmerizing.

mikeymike

Its just something a running store employee said to me recently. He was talking about the new Nike Pegasus trainer and Flyknit racer when he became distracted by a woman with a very long tongue.

Runners run

xor

So bearcat was there?

Sweet.

mikeymike

Yep.

Runners run

Clerk: "The new Saucony arm warmers are great. They're feature a mineral component which aids circulation."

Me, good-naturedly: "That sounds like something the Saucony rep. wants you to say. I mean, when you say 'mineral,' do you mean, like feldspar?  Or like in 'vitamins and minerals.' How much, by the way?"

Clerk: "They're $45.00"

Me: "Sheebus. I'll keep using my socks."

But Mikey and BCR shoe-shopping together....wonders are rife, indeed.