From ZeroRunner to Jacob's Ladder (Read 205 times)

I'm currently nursing a sore foot and don't want to do any running due to the impact. The fitness center I belong to has a machine called the Jacob's Ladder (Youtube video) which I've used a few times. From a cardio and leg standpoint, it's substantially harder than something like the elliptical. Anyone have any thoughts on how closely the "workout" will carry over to running once I'm able to run again?

Feeling the growl again

My computer is having issues with the video, but anything that works your legs and gets your HR up is better than nothing.  Here's hoping you are back to running soon...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

No Talent Drips

Well the rungs are moving, providing a bit of a climb assist. Naturally, this makes it not like climbing a ladder outside. I'd stick with pool climbing if you have the opportunity.

Dei Gratia

Well the rungs are moving, providing a bit of a climb assist. Naturally, this makes it not like climbing a ladder outside. I'd stick with pool climbing if you have the opportunity.

I presume you meant "pool running", correct? Yes, that would be a preferred alternate exercise, but the only pool at my disposal has pretty inconvenient hours/times.

Regarding your "climb assist" comment, it's interesting you say that. It's actually harder (for a few reasons) to reach for the rungs and climb with your hands as opposed to resting your hands on the side.  I've tried both ways (using rungs and resting hands on side bars) and if you use your hands, it engages the core more and it requires you to really focus on maintaining pace.  Both are a real challenge when your legs are screaming at you and your heart rate is nearing its max.

I really don't care if it's like climbing a ladder outside. I'm not training to be a firefighter :-)   I was only trying to pick an exercise that would provide the most benefit for when I return to running.  I'm hoping at least that it might make me a better hill runner. If not that, just improve over-all fitness.

kilkee

runktrun

The Y near me has one and I love it...as a supplement to my running and for general fitness.  I think you'll burn calories and work your core, but I would expect your return to running to feel quite awkward after using your upper body in this position that has no relation to running.  If you can tolerate it, try the stationary bike.  Throw in some intervals, seated and up in the saddle, that get your breathing just as hard as if you were running tempo or reps.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

The Y near me has one and I love it...as a supplement to my running and for general fitness.  I think you'll burn calories and work your core, but I would expect your return to running to feel quite awkward after using your upper body in this position that has no relation to running.  If you can tolerate it, try the stationary bike.  Throw in some intervals, seated and up in the saddle, that get your breathing just as hard as if you were running tempo or reps.

Thanks, perhaps I'll mix it up.   I'm not sure tolerating a bike is any harder than tolerating the ladder.

Here's hoping you are back to running soon...

Thanks Spaniel! Me too!

The last 2 years haven't been kind to me.

mikeymike

I suggest you go back and take remedial physics 101 you dolt. Don't you know about inertial reference planes, ffs? Oh the humanity!

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

This video is decisive in terms of the physics.

I'm amazed at how easy he makes running 15.1 MPH look.

And, the people around him seem indifferent to what he's doing.

jpdeaux

Cadence of about 210-216, by my count. But, yeah, it just does not look that fast. Unless you're tuned in to the sounds, feel and look of fast running on a treadmill you might be more inclined to wonder what the creepy guy with the camera was doing at the gym.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Not used one of those specifically, but steppers and stair-climbers generally  are pretty good workouts that will keep some residual running fitness.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

bhearn

I suggest you go back and take remedial physics 101 you dolt. Don't you know about inertial reference planes, ffs? Oh the humanity!

Don't make my bring out my airplane-on-a-treadmill problem again.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Don't make my bring out my airplane-on-a-treadmill problem again.

Or what if our whole planet were hurtling through space?