Nike+ Sportband (Read 596 times)

maskedunknown

Backstory:

I recently finished a few 5k races and felt very frustrated at the end of each race due to the my inability to stay at a consistent pace even though I can when running/training by myself. I'm looking into a pedometer that can tell me three things: current time, current pace/mile, elapsed time. I'm not looking to spend too much for something so basic however I do want something accurate because I am currently training for a half marathon.

---

I discovered that Nike released a new, updated version of the Sportband and it's available online for $59. Would this be the right choice for me? I have a Nike+ shoe and never used the "digital capabilities" of the shoe since I own an incompatible iPod.

Any feedback would be great.

Maggie & Molly

I don't know about the upgrade but I use my Nike+ and my simply pressing my ipod I know what my pace is at any time, how long I've been running and how far I've gone.

MTA:  I was looking at this one on Nike - it seems to me that you have to click through the options and read your arm.  I like my Nike+Ipod better - it tells me everything in my ear.  I do not use the Nike shoe though, not to my liking at all.   Both use the download to Nike+ and track your past runs, etc in the same way.

Good luck with your decision

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
      Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

maskedunknown

My iPod is incompatible so I can't use the Nike+ (iPod 5.5G). I'm hesitant to spend $60 for a device that just tells me three things. It's quite difficult to find something reliable that will constantly say my pace without having to press any buttons. All the Garmins are quite expensive and they look very bulky on the wrist. The only simple, "slick" Garmin I found was the Garmin ForeRunner 50 but it seems to not have good reviews. Does anyone have any experience with this gadget?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UW5SYG/ref=cm_rdp_product

I had the original Sportband and it was a piece of crap.  However, I'd consider getting the new one if it starts getting pretty good reviews.  I like the simplicity of the device, the original one was just too inaccurate to be of any use.
          maskedunknown

I had the original Sportband and it was a piece of crap.  However, I'd consider getting the new one if it starts getting pretty good reviews.  I like the simplicity of the device, the original one was just too inaccurate to be of any use.

Apparently, they will replace your old SportBand for free with the new one due to how faulty the original was. You might have to double check but I've read two articles with comments mentioning an exchange program.

I hate to say it but my Nike+ system has stayed in the box pretty much after the first few runs.  I was never able to calibrate the thing right to give accurate pace information.  Even after following the calibration procedure it would be off by 0.5 mile or more which would mean that the pace would be off as well.

Most people say the Garmin is a good product for pacing.   Investigate further before throwing money at the NIKE system.