anyone attempted the David Goggins' 4x4x 48 challege? (Read 183 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

He is single with no kids and no job.

David goggins is a retired SEAL and is married. Feel free to encourage people to enlist at a young age so they can retire while other people talk shit about their retirement. You’re one of the people he probably loves because he doesn’t make excuses and you just did.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlopez

David Goggins also was a whiny baby at my friend's 200 mile race. 

Real life David Goggins has a very weird history with the ultrarunning world.

Be careful with hero worship; they will always let you down.

Also, anyone making coin off of "I was a Navy Seal, bitch" missed one of the lessons.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The challenge would’ve been more interesting if you had to complete every run in full combat gear.

And if you don’t post the entire experience on Instagram then it didn’t happen. 🤥

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

David Goggins also was a whiny baby at my friend's 200 mile race. 

Real life David Goggins has a very weird history with the ultrarunning world.

Be careful with hero worship; they will always let you down.

Also, anyone making coin off of "I was a Navy Seal, bitch" missed one of the lessons.

Oh I don’t worship him. I’m not really a fan of his. Watching the destination trail race social media let me know just how much of a pain in the ass his fans/followers are. 
          I DO like his “so what?” attitude towards lots of excuses people give for why they can’t. 

mikkey what about the people who complete it and didn’t post it to star a or tell people on websites? Guess it didn’t happen for lots of people. Just like plenty of western states training and Barkley marathon participants.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

Feel free to encourage people to enlist at a young age so they can retire 

Yeah, right... You are saying it like he knew exactly what he was doing when he enlisted in that young age... Like I never was a young man and had some clue what the f*** I am doing back then and why the f*** I am doing it? But hey, yes, after I did it and it suddenly worked out awesome, yeah, now I am going to show you b***es how stupid you were and are and how smart I was and am. 

while other people talk shit about their retirement. You’re one of the people he probably loves because he doesn’t make excuses and you just did.

You are not old enough to start talking shit about your retirement - just wait, your time will come .

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

mikkey what about the people who complete it and didn’t post it to star a or tell people on websites? Guess it didn’t happen for lots of people. Just like plenty of western states training and Barkley marathon participants.

C’mon, you wouldn’t do an idiotic challenge unless you could brag about it on social media.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

C’mon, you wouldn’t do an idiotic challenge unless you could brag about it on social media.

When some woman at my work learned I am a runner, she came to me and told me that she is a runner too. Trying to be nice I said - we can connect via Strava. Her response was - oh, no - I do not have Strava, but I have Instragram (yeah, thats where she posts her pictures about every 3 miles run 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

What if you have Strava AND you post about your runs on Instagram?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

What if you have Strava AND you post about your runs on Instagram?

Still... Running and Instagram? Seriously?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Still... Running and Instagram? Seriously?

I do it.  But honestly mine is intended as partial parody (the joke being that I'm doing a running instagram, but posting pictures of my cats or the destruction they have wrought instead of pictures of me).

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

I do it.  But honestly mine is intended as partial parody (the joke being that I'm doing a running instagram, but posting pictures of my cats or the destruction they have wrought instead of pictures of me).

Don't get me wrong - I am not anti-Instagram Smile I just think it's not a platform for runners.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Don't get me wrong - I am not anti-Instagram Smile I just think it's not a platform for runners.

Oh agreed - it's an absolutely awful platform for documenting running.  Training is about long time consistency, river whittling away at stone, etc.  Instagram is the exact opposite - what did you do today, and how impressive was it.  (or alternately, does it give you an opportunity to humblebrag about the importance of rest).  There's no long term view in Instagram.

What has always driven me slightly batty is the use of tags like "inspiring" or "warrior" - y'know...."inspiringfemalerunners" or "#diseaseofchoicewarrior".  Those are attributes that others give to you, not labels that you can place on yourself.

If you really want to learn from someone else's training, you look at their log (with runningahead being one of the best, IMHO).  That's where you can get a long term view.  Strava is for seeing where someone ran that day, and with whom.  Instagram is for fun pictures of things you saw.  Or cats.  Always cats.

A friend just finished this challenge at the end of last week. He did it leading up to his 40th birthday. Started at 10am on Thursday. Did 10am/2pm/6pm/10pm/2am/6am....until finishing at 6am on Saturday. Somehow he managed 6:45/mi for the whole thing. Super impressive. I joined him only for those last 4 miles. I think the sleep/nutrition aspect is good training for ultras.