The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

At least not consistently.

Well, true.

Kalsarikännit

with mods.

This thing the newer people have with mods is weird.  I’ve heard of newer groups where the mods are living out their fantasy of being a dictator of a third world country.  The ONLY point of the mods around here is to save you all from buying more useless running crap and clutter, by shooting down spam for running gadgets that will never help you run faster.  Also, North Korean dating sites.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

Also, North Korean dating sites.

Don't knock it.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yeah, I describe "the RA clique" as the people who have been on this board for many years and take the time to share their experience and wisdom.  People who meet up in real life.  And aren't pricks.

Well I do resent that: the "new" people are all posting stuff about running in the 1:30 thread and the marathon thread. All we do is talk about running, training, races, etc. The older clique seems most interested in a thread about booze. I haven't seen almost any participation in the actual running threads. And we do meet up in real life: we had 3 people meet up at CIM this past fall, and were planning a big meetup at Boston 21.

Maybe there's more running be discussed by the "original" folks somewhere buried deep in the hidden groups, but I haven't seen that. If there is, it would be great if you guys could point some of it out so others can participate.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Kalsarikännit

Well I do resent that: the "new" people are all posting stuff about running in the 1:30 thread and the marathon thread. All we do is talk about running, training, races, etc. The older clique seems most interested in a thread about booze. I haven't seen almost any participation in the actual running threads. And we do meet up in real life: we had 3 people meet up at CIM this past fall, and were planning a big meetup at Boston 21.

Maybe there's more running be discussed by the "original" folks somewhere buried deep in the hidden groups, but I haven't seen that. If there is, it would be great if you guys could point some of it out so others can participate.

If you can’t handle this, you sure can’t handle groups where the feedback is “shut the fuck up with your excuses and go outside and run”.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I cannot imagine that there is much enthusiasm among group owners and group members for inviting prickish newbies into said groups.

Joann Y

Can we all just agree that we are all assholes in our own special way and move on?

MTA: Except ilene and darkwave, obvs.

delicate flower

prickish newbies  

I've basically given up posting in the public RA forums because of the group quoted above.  There is plenty of running content and discussion in the sub-forums that doesn't include people pissing all over each other.  I am neither an RA old timer nor a newbie.

<3

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Well our government is now urging local authorities to start employing ‘COVID Marshals’ to patrol the streets and check that people are not gathering in groups of more than 6.

Clip board, hi viz jacket, helmet and water pistol supplied.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sit down son....let me tell you about the time we had FOUR people at CIM meet up and it was scheduled to be as many as SIX but scheduling conflicts and ride share didn't work out. Back in those days you didn't just see it all on Strava. People took photos and shared them on the internet. 

Yeah, I describe "the RA clique" as the people who have been on this board for many years and take the time to share their experience and wisdom.  People who meet up in real life.  And aren't pricks.

. I've shared experience and wisdom. I've met up in real life.

Damn. 60% isn't a passing grade according to the clique.

If you can’t handle this, you sure can’t handle groups where the feedback is “shut the fuck up with your excuses and go outside and run”.

Wait....that isn't the RA OG KLIQ? You could have fooled me.

ah shucks...it's Tuesday.

I cannot imagine that there is much enthusiasm among group owners and group members for inviting prickish newbies into said groups.

The invited me and welcomed me with open arms. So your imagination and reality are still separate, and equal. Heck, even some of the people from the way back machine threw it back to where I started in running earlier this year when I was a prick, and searching for knowledge on how to get better...at running.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Can we all just agree that we are all assholes in our own special way and move on?

MTA: Except ilene and darkwave, obvs.

Given I'm trying to extend an olive branch here to most of the "original" RAers, I'll just respond to this post out of the other ones that were defensive and say I agree. Especially on the MTA. They're good people.

Not that Spaniel is going to see this among all of this nonsense, but still waiting for his thoughts on the AZ trials.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well our government is now urging local authorities to start employing ‘COVID Marshals’ to patrol the streets and check that people are not gathering in groups of more than 6.

Clip board, hi viz jacket, helmet and water pistol supplied.

My State Governor is busy deamoninzing the Country's leader for having a public event with over 50 people. The same Governor who, during a mask mandate, visits a state business then says he might have contracted COVID 19 so he's going to quarantine in the mansion 8 hours away from his house and he gets a rushed COVID 19 test. Same guy who is asking the President for money for his National Guard and unemployment programs. This AFTER he said we could open up when we "flatten the curve" and the curve has been DROPPING since July yet we're still locked down. I'd take masked, helmet wearing, highly visible clip board holders over being told "it will be over when I say it's over." At least then I could get back to running and shutting the fawkup.

EDIT:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/nevada/gov-sisolak-says-long-way-to-go-before-covid-conquered-2110901/

yup. All that stuff has to be canceled to stop the spread until he says it is safe. Good thing I can't get COVID 19 wearing a mask at McDonalds, STarbucks, Chipotle, or Olive Garden (beacuse we're all family at the OG). I can only get it at a bar...which have been opened and closed about four times this year due to COVID 19 Governor Sisolak.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Given I'm trying to extend an olive branch here to most of the "original" RAers, I'll just respond to this post out of the other ones that were defensive and say I agree. Especially on the MTA. They're good people.

Not that Spaniel is going to see this among all of this nonsense, but still waiting for his thoughts on the AZ trials.

hey don't you need to update your 5k time?

VDOT 53.37 

useless running crap

no such thing

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Not sure about you, but I will agree on behalf of that Minnesota Abe guy

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn