HM strategy help (Read 117 times)

lagrandegazelle

Hi, taper is making me go nuts and lose confidence in my training… Here’s my story:

In September, I completed a 5k in 22:4?, and at the beginning of November, a cross-country 10k in 44:4?. The 5k was done on little mileage and the 10k on an average of less than 30MPW in the 2 previous months.

I averaged 39 MPW since then, with many weeks between 43 and 47 (had a few low weeks due to achille soreness during the holidays). I did 2 long runs over 13, 3 of 12, and quite a bunch of 10-11.

I tried to do a bit of speed work in the Fall (trying to follow a modified Hudson plan), but with the poor footing due to snow, running most of the time on hills with a backpack, trying to up my mileage at the same time and ending up with achile soreness, I let it go and concentrated on upping my mileage. I’ve done a few hill repeats and tempo runs with a group. I have no clue what my pace is, as running in a foot of snow or on ice was really discouraging pace wise, so I just ran most of my miles easy.

McMillan calculator gives me a goal HM time, but I’m not sure it is really achievable… I’m not sure what pace I should aim for.

The weather forecast calls for a max of around 15 degrees (- 5 with windchill factor) during the day, but since the race starts at 8:30 and is located on exposed paths on an island, it will probably be colder than that.

What should my strategy be?

Thanks in advance

Édith

an amazing likeness

Let's see...you're running around a race track which circles the edges of Ile Notre-Dame in the middle of a river, in15F.  First order of business is survive with all your fingers and toes!

I'd run it as 4 5K segments, and given the winds, aim for effort levels rather than definite target  paces.  Open easy for 1st segment at your something easier than tempo effort to get warmed up and into the groove, then target race effort for the next 2 segments,  then survive to the end at whatever pace will get you through the last 5K.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

I never know how to answer these.

I would aim for half marathon effort.

Runners run

Calculators presume ideal conditions.  Having a calculated time goal at -5F windchill is not advisable.  Try something else, like, how many people can you pass by gradually increasing pace, after giving yourself 30 minutes at moderate pace to get fully warmed up (if getting fully warmed up is even possible).

...I have no clue what my pace is, as running in a foot of snow or on ice was really discouraging pace wise, so I just ran most of my miles easy. ...

The weather forecast calls for a max of around 15 degrees (- 5 with windchill factor) during the day, but since the race starts at 8:30 and is located on exposed paths on an island, it will probably be colder than that.

What should my strategy be?

Thanks in advance

Édith

When you say you ran your training runs "easy", do you mean easy pace or easy effort. I'd find it really difficult to run in a foot of snow at easy effort (or even easy pace, for that matter). Most of the time, it makes more sense to run by effort on hills, snow, wind, whatever.

Sounds like your race course is a loop where you may be running into the wind sometimes and downwind sometimes, unless it's one of those situations where you're running into the wind all the time (we have quirky, changeable winds where I live). Take a SWAG at how long you expect to be out there - taking temperatures, wind, and footing into account - and plan to run at that effort. Start at a reasonable effort as a warmup, then pick it up as you get further into the race, IF you can. If not, just hang in there. If you can reel people in, have at it, but avoid going out so hard early that you get passed later.

You've been training in similar conditions, so you should have a feeling what you can do.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            lagrandegazelle

Thank you for your replies!

MilkTruck: It seems like a great strategy. I’m not too worried about my fingers and toes since I ran more than the distance in -22 weather. I just don’t know what race effort I can give in those same conditions, with all the layers of clothing…

Mikeymike: LOL! I wish I knew what my hm effort felt like! It’s my first and I now regret not having done a few hm pace workouts…

AKTrail : I mean easy effort . After my achile problems, I decided to run easy for a while and wore my HRM, trying to stay under 155BPM, even if it meant slowing waaaaay down. After a while, I ditched my HRM but tried to be at the same effort level.

So do you all think I should ditch the garmin  and just run by feel?