run forth while using (Read 227 times)

probably not fast enough

sorry for topic that's probably been covered before, I didn't find it w/ search, so I must have searched the wrong terms or something.  Just wondering if a future version of runforth will have the option for using location "while using," rather than just "never" or "always"....

thanks Smile

It will. I'm currently working on both an iOS 9 upgrade to resolve some crashing issues, as well as making better use of the GPS options available.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Sounds like you must already be aware and working on fixes, but the latest iOS update has unfortunately rendered my run forth app almost useless. It's appears that it's working fine and then typically crashes about 30 seconds into the run. I can enter the runs manually after but when I try to edit "equipment" to add the shoes I'm using the app crashes again. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app a few times in a feeble attempt to see if it would make a difference, but it hasn't.

I wish this were the only app that's been impacted by the update to iOS 9.0.2 but it seems to be leaving a wake a lesser performance in its path.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass that along.

probably not fast enough

@sumdeus.... thanks, that's good news...  I haven't installed the os9 upgrade yet; my wife installed it and her phone has gone haywire and caused her lots of misery, so I'm holding off a few months, I guess, hoping that I can jump in after issues have been resolved...

It will. I'm currently working on both an iOS 9 upgrade to resolve some crashing issues, as well as making better use of the GPS options available.

Sumdeus, thank you for the RunForth app!  Love it, use it all the time.  One small glitch that just started (maybe connected to the iOS9 upgrade?) is that it crashes when I try to edit equipment.  Otherwise, working well for me on my iPhone.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

sluggo

John

Hello sumdeus

I just started to use the runforth app. I like it enough to let my garmin gather dust.

One feature rhat that seems to exist but is not mentioned: it seems that I can press " Start Run" and the timer does not start until I start moving. That is great.

I saw that you are working on how to retire shoes. I look forward to that.

I think I saw a plan to pause when you stop moving. That would be awesome!

My own feature request is to have the automatic load into RA include entering the shoe info last used.

Anyway - thanks. It's a great app

John
              www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Sorry for the delay here, sometimes life gets in the way. There's a beta test in progress for stage 1 of cleanup, which is addressing the numerous bugs that have come up as Apple has moved to iOS 9. Once those are resolved, I'll be moving on to the more fun things!

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

probably not fast enough

Hi Sumdeus.... I did the ios 9.3.1 update the yesterday and did the latest run forth update.  I did two runs today with run forth and the gps didn't work on either one.   Any thoughts?

ADD.... went out again today (next day), this time tried not minimizing the app while using (I've always minimized it before to avoid accidentally touching screen and stopping it while running), and it seems to have worked as long as the screen was on... when it shut off, the app stopped working.

ADD... went out again today (next, next day) and changed the iphone auto-lock setting to "never," and this cured the gps failure... gps worked.  HOWEVER, I did lose .78 miles of data because i did accidentally touch the screen during the run and the next time I looked, I had to hit the "oops, continue the workout" button to get it back on.  So anyway, my theory seems to be correct in my case... the gps works when the app is not minimized and the screen is on.

sluggo

John

I've had RunForth GPS fail since the newest iOS upgrade too. It looks like it worked until I left my home wifi network. I am planning to start my run with wifi turned off to see if that changes things.

sumdeus, you must be going nuts if the if iOS did break RunForth again.

John

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

sluggo

John

ADD.... went out again today (next day), this time tried not minimizing the app while using (I've always minimized it before to avoid accidentally touching screen and stopping it while running), and it seems to have worked as long as the screen was on... when it shut off, the app stopped working.

That is interesting. I will have to run without minimizing the app.

Running with wifi disabled did not help.

John

Runningsteph117

ADD... went out again today (next, next day) and changed the iphone auto-lock setting to "never," and this cured the gps failure... gps worked.  HOWEVER, I did lose .78 miles of data because i did accidentally touch the screen during the run and the next time I looked, I had to hit the "oops, continue the workout" button to get it back on.  So anyway, my theory seems to be correct in my case... the gps works when the app is not minimized and the screen is on.

Same thing happens for me. as soon as screen locks it stops tracking. when I open back up, it draws a straight line from last point to current point.

probably not fast enough

Same thing happens for me. as soon as screen locks it stops tracking. when I open back up, it draws a straight line from last point to current point.

Yup... that's it with me too.

mdolley

Funky kicks 2019

Run forth usually worked perfectly for me up until a couple of weeks ago.  Now I lose my distances somehow.  I can't run with my screen on as I am ultra slow and my phone would discharge.

Shiksa

It crashes every time I try to enter equipment.

Stacy
                              I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com