2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

600mg of caffeine?  That's a LOT.

For most people it would be too much, but Mikkey's decades of cocaine use in his younger years have given him a Keith Richards-like resistance 

(just joking of course...)

Mikkey I took a look at the elevation chart for Valencia and it's not what I would call a fast course; must be a quite different area than what's used for the legendarily fast half marathon. I still think there's a good chance you'll go sub 3.

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Mikkey I took a look at the elevation chart for Valencia and it's not what I would call a fast course; must be a quite different area than what's used for the legendarily fast half marathon. I still think there's a good chance you'll go sub 3.

That's odd - I haven't run it or viewed the course but a friend used that to set his sub-3 PR, and chose it specifically because it was fast, and raved about it afterwards.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I've had coffee with Mikey  Good luck in your comeback race 🏁

Yeah, but that was a special occasion as it was so good to meet another Brit from this forum in person. 

And thanks. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Valencia Marathon Course

Looks similar to Chicago. Run all over town, except you end in a soccer football field instead of a park.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

For most people it would be too much, but Mikkey's decades of cocaine use in his younger years have given him a Keith Richards-like resistance 

(just joking of course...)

No you aren’t you cheeky monkey!

Valencia is apparently the the 4th fastest marathon in the world!  I’m assuming this is about proper legit marathons,  otherwise CIM would be right up there in the top 3!  

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Valencia Marathon Course

Looks similar to Chicago. Run all over town, except you end in a soccer football field instead of a park.

👍

Running Problem

Problem Child

Valencia is apparently the the 4th fastest marathon in the world!  I’m assuming this is about proper legit marathons,  otherwise CIM would be right up there in the top 3!  

Depends who you ask.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Depends who you ask.

Interesting choice of top 10 fastest marathons....NYC isn’t fast and Boston isn’t eligible for a WR.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Interesting choice of top 10 fastest marathons....NYC isn’t fast and Boston isn’t eligible for a WR.

It's Runner's World. They're the Cosmopolitan of running advice.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I was looking at the findmymarathon elevation chart. Not terrible but not pancake flat. Anyway great to hear it's rated as a fast course!

Valencia Marathon Elevation Profile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Just got my MRI results. Looks like a stress reaction and a labral tear. The tear may have been there all along and is unrelated. Either way, need to talk to my doctor about the conclusions for both of these. It's a weird result: obviously very happy it's not a fracture, but not happy that it's a stress reaction.

Either way, I'm so happy I stopped when I did and didn't just bury my head in the sand, otherwise I was on my way to a full blown stress fracture.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

It's Runner's World. They're the Cosmopolitan of running advice.

Does this mean I’ll learn 26 ways to run a marathon to satisfy my man in Boston one year?

glad you figured it out and yeah it’s a great thing you stopped when you did. The tear obviously could have gotten worse. Maybe when you’re not so young you can start complaining about the pains associated with being old.

VDOT 53.37 

Just got my MRI results. Looks like a stress reaction and a labral tear. The tear may have been there all along and is unrelated. Either way, need to talk to my doctor about the conclusions for both of these. It's a weird result: obviously very happy it's not a fracture, but not happy that it's a stress reaction.

Either way, I'm so happy I stopped when I did and didn't just bury my head in the sand, otherwise I was on my way to a full blown stress fracture.

JMac: Glad to hear you know what the issue is; like they said in the old GI Joe cartoons, knowing is half the battle. I have a college running buddy who had a labral tear a few years ago; I'll have to ask him what exactly he did to get over it. But great that you stopped at the stress reaction stage before it went further. What bone is the stress reaction in?

OMR

Good to hear you’ve gotten a diagnosis, JMac, so that you can continue the recovery you’ve already started by not pushing things.

Resident Historian

Mikkey, don't worry about hills in Valencia -- you probably won't even notice them. The course is seriously fast!  I lived in Valencia for 4 years, that race was my first marathon, and my PR marathon. It was a somewhat different course those years; this newest one is probably faster. I've also run other races all around that course.

Looking at the elevation chart posted above, I don't think it's even that "hilly".  A couple of places show dips, but they're on absolutely flat roads. The chart shows  ~60' (~20m) climb in mile 17, through the old city. There's some gradual uphill there -- but more like 25' (my experience, confirmed on mapmyrun). From there, it's almost dead flat until until the last 2k along the river embankment to finish in the old (long-dry) river bed. That's maybe a 25' drop -- if you need to pick a few seconds to hit a target, it's a friendly finish.

Note that the RW article from 2015 ranks courses simply by the men's course record - what brilliant analysis! 
                                Using that scale now, the order would be 1. Berlin (top 3 fastest times and ), 2. London (4th fastest time) 3. Milan (tie for 5th), 4. Valencia (6th 7th, and 12th fastest).

Go get it!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson