B&A Half Marathon Race Report (Read 1751 times)

B&A Half Marathon Race Report I was worried about how I would do in this race. I ran a 1:49:14 (and PRed) at my last 1/2 (the Virginia Beach Rock and Roll half), but that was in the middle of marathon training, and I was putting in many more miles. I told myself I'd be happy with anything under two hours -- especially since my training has been off a bit during the move. Up very early (6:00 a.m.) to shower (don't ask, it's just this thing I have to do before a race) and stuff some bread down my throat. My friend L. picked me up at 6:30 and we drove to the start, stopping twice: once at Dunkin' Donuts (bagel for her), and once at 7-11 (bathroom for me). We got to the start at 7:15 a.m., perfect timing for a 7:30 race. ... and we're off! The B&A half is on a trial (the baltimore/annapolis trail), but the word "trail" is misleading: it's completely paved. The first couple of miles go through a neighborhood, then turns onto the trail. The race was much more crowded than last year, but that was okay -- it made it easier to find some friends to chat with for a bit Smile I did the first few miles at an 8:30ish pace, I think. At mile 6 we left the trail to run downhill (love it), turn around (love it), and then run up the hill (not so much love). I passed some friends coming back, which was nice, and headed toward the home stretch. I really picked it up for the last three or four miles, running about an 8:10-8:20 pace. I was atempting to do the math to see if I could PR, and thought I probably would come close, but would miss it (I was right). We split from the marathoners (have fun with another 13.1 miles, guys!) and ran the last half mile toward the finish. I pulled together everything I had left and hit the finish pad at 1:50:01// 8:24 pace (by my watch, still waiting for my chip time) ... missing a pr by less than a minute! Oh well ... still a good race, and I'm happy with my time =D
    2009: BQ?
      Way to go Trishie! I didnt realize you were in a race over the weekend too! Smile
      ---- Cynthia
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Awesome Job!! Hey, I am going to be an Annapolis Thursday evening and Friday morning, and was considering putting in a few miles on the B&A trail. What do you think, worth finding the trail?
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We split from the marathoners (have fun with another 13.1 miles, guys!) and ran the last half mile toward the finish. I pulled together everything I had left and hit the finish pad at 1:50:01// 8:24 pace (by my watch, still waiting for my chip time) ... missing a pr by less than a minute! Oh well ... still a good race, and I'm happy with my time =D
          Sounds like a great day, to me! I'll bet if you were in the midst of training for another marathon that you'd have PRd for sure! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Goog job Trish! That was a fun race report. I say if you missed it by less than a minute in a half marathon, for all intents and purposes, you tied it.
              Good job. I will have to remember the shower before the race trick. Wink Congratulations! Ewa
              I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

madness baby

Congrats Trish! Sounds like you had a great race. I bet that was nice to see some friends there! Big grin
                deb

You'll ruin your knees!

Well, way to go! I like to shower on race day too! Even when I am running nasty trails, it's nice to know that deep down under all that sweat and crud, I'm clean! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

it's nice to know that deep down under all that sweat and crud, I'm clean! Lynn B
                    Lynn...I'm not sure anyone at RA will ever be truly "clean" deep-down. That's what makes this place so much fun! Wink I'm not one of those who showers before a race. Eryn does, but I don't see the point (though I do make sure to freshly apply anti-perspirant/deoderant before leaving for the race). I think my filth is lucky, so I like to take it with me on race day! Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks, everyone Smile
                      Hey, I am going to be an Annapolis Thursday evening and Friday morning, and was considering putting in a few miles on the B&A trail. What do you think, worth finding the trail?
                      It's a nice place to run because you don't have to worry about traffic ... and it's fairly scenic (I saw horses ... I want a pony .. but I digress.)
                      2009: BQ?
                        Sounds like you had a great run even though you weren't able to PR. WTG!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

WAY to go!!
                          Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4

Prophet!

Nice job on the Race Trishie ... and i think you should get a pony! Everybody should get a pony Wink
                            eshep

Great job!
                              Regina

Great time - so early in the year! Very cool, congrats!!