New runner questions (Read 132 times)

Haleyt

I am very new to running. I really only started around the end of December and have been working my way through the c25k program. I had gotten towards the end and was feeling pretty comfortable with my running so I started pushing myself a little further. I feel like I may have pushed myself a little too much and have started feeling little pains every now and then. It isn't anything too bad or painful, mainly a little tiny pain in my knee or heel but it typically goes away. I'm just not sure if I should keep running when I feel these little pains or stop for a few days? I'm afraid of injuring myself so I'm really looking for any advice on how to recognize a possible injury versus normal aches and pains. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It isn't anything too bad or painful, mainly a little tiny pain in my knee or heel but it typically goes away. 

This sounds like normal new to running minor pains.  A good rule of thumb is that any pain severe enough to cause you to change stride (such as a heel pain that makes you limp) is too much.  In case of doubt, run less for a few days.  If some pain consistently prevents you from running as much as you want, then start looking for root causes.

It is also normal to experience a plateau for a few weeks or months.  Don't worry about, just do what you can, and eventually your body will let you do more.

Keep in a few things in mind.  Any exercise is better than no exercise.  You do not need to increase your running at any particular rate.  If you decide that a certain amount of running gives you enough fitness, there is no need to run more just because some plan calls for it.

Daydreamer1

Questions like this are bound to elicit a wide range of responses. This will be from the "oh you felt a twinge of pain? Better stop running right now, consult your Doctor and get a full body MRI, You could be seriously injured"!!!!!  to the "Do you have a bone poking out? No? Then go run".

Really it's kind of difficult for us to really give good advice and for you to even know what is good advice. We don't know what your pain tolerance is, how out of shape you are/were, how heavy you currently are and any previous injuries you might have had and how they affect you today, how old are you etc? Some people can have a bone sticking out and describe it as "not too bad", yea I've seen that, where others can have a small scratch and think they are dying.  We just don't know you personally so it's difficult to give a lot of advice.

For myself I tend to be in the camp that if it's possible to run, I run.  That being said there are a few things that I try to do to diagnose if I should rest or just work through it.

If I actually felt something happen, like a pop, snap or crackle or I twisted a joint the wrong way then I'll rest it because I know it's a injury.

If It just showed up I'll assume that it's probably the muscles being tired and sore and I may take it easy for a few days.  If it comes and goes or gets better when running then I just reduce my effort for awhile and let things mend up. If I hear or feel clicks or instability I'll get more concerned.

Remember, you just started running. Your body is being torn down, which is a good thing, It signals that by getting sore and aching at times. If you've been pushing the mileage, you may want to step back and go to where the program wants you to be. That will give your body some time to rest and recover from being torn down and that is really how you come back stronger.   Resting your body is not a bad thing so it may be time for a cut back week. You may also want to look at doing some stretching if you have not.  If you are feeling pain in your heel one day and in your knee the next then the following day you feel discomfort in the opposite side calf muscle it's probably just normal aches and pains.

Not sure if this helps you or not, it's just my perspective.

Remember, you just started running. Your body is being torn down, which is a good thing, It signals that by getting sore and aching at times. If you've been pushing the mileage, you may want to step back and go to where the program wants you to be. That will give your body some time to rest and recover from being torn down and that is really how you come back stronger.   Resting your body is not a bad thing so it may be time for a cut back week. You may also want to look at doing some stretching if you have not.  If you are feeling pain in your heel one day and in your knee the next then the following day you feel discomfort in the opposite side calf muscle it's probably just normal aches and pains.

yes, perfectly worded

Haleyt

Thank you all for your responses! I know it was really a vague question and without knowing me and where I stand it is difficult to give advice but I appreciate it none the less. I believe that everything I feel is just my body getting used to running I was just afraid of injuring myself and then not being able to run for an extended amount of time. I ran 3 miles today and most of what I was feeling went away as a went along. I felt a little soreness in my knee at the end but it really just seems like muscle soreness.

As far as stretching is concerned, I have been doing simple stretches in the morning and either after a run or before bed. Do any of you have any particular suggestions around stretching? I've read that you should stretch right before a run but then I've also read that you shouldn't

spinach

This is a tough question and i have a lot of difficulty remembering when I started running.

But one rule that i have is I run through discomfort and i don't run if I have pain. The problem is how to describe the difference between discomfort and pain.  With time you get t being able to distinguish the two but it is hard when you start.  I would say that pain would be something that causes you to change your stride and you begin to pick up new pains or injuries elsewhere.  I guess my suggestion right  now if you aren't sure you should run, DON'T. It is better to skip a run or two rather than picking up a new major injury. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Dream Maker

Some people can have a bone sticking out and describe it as "not too bad",

"Just a flesh wound"

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

"Just a flesh wound"

'Tis but a scratch!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

As far as stretching is concerned, I have been doing simple stretches in the morning and either after a run or before bed. Do any of you have any particular suggestions around stretching? I've read that you should stretch right before a run but then I've also read that you shouldn't

A good rule of thumb is do some dynamic stretching before a run to get your muscles warmed up, and after a run, you can do some static stretching (and foam rolling) after your you cool down (light jogging or walking),