What Is a Realistic 5K Goal for Me? (Read 130 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

ETA: As I mentioned in another reply, there’s very little chance that I would have been able to run 20:18 at my age with my running miles since March without the 8 years of high level cycling as a base.

This is the primary reason why I think sub-18 may be out of reach. You already have a good endurance base. I recall Lance Armstrong's attempt to run a marathon.  Tour de France winner yet not even at the sub-elite level when he tried to transition to running marathons.  You may surprise me, but I think that would require a more dedicated training regime than the Run less, Run Faster, and possibly even formal coaching.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I'm not saying this to debate the benefits of your program or the benefit of doing some non running activities, but I wouldn't necessarily label the runs that are done between quality workouts as "junk". They might be junk, but they don't have to be. Easy runs that don't break you down have a lot of value.

I’d like to at least see how far I can get with ‘Run Less, Run Faster’ if I’m fully able to implement it.  As you mentioned, being able to run the 20:18 with my limited mileage, makes me feel that I have more potential.  I’d rather have some non-pounding cross-training through cycling than junk running miles.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I don't get asking for an opinion when you've already have an answer or a belief.

I know an older runner 55 who ran for 5 years on the run less run faster approach due to being a triathlete. Never got faster but his times remained static  or decline 20-21 5k  he changed to my system in March recently and ran an 18:01 5k and will be going to Kona this year with a real shot at placing top 3 in his age group. Run less is garbage its for middling fools.

That's  4x 2k workout progress of a 55 year old

3/12   8:41; 8:39, 8:41, 8:36

4/16  8:18, 8:18; 8:16, 8:08

5/14  7:58, 7:53,8:06, 7:49

6/4    8:15, 7:44, 7:53 7:46

8/13 7:40 7:46, 7:48, 7:46

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

I don't get asking for an opinion when you've already have an answer or a belief.

I know an older runner 55 who ran for 5 years on the run less run faster approach due to being a triathlete. Never got faster but his times remained static  or decline 20-21 5k  he changed to my system in March recently and ran an 18:01 5k and will be going to Kona this year with a real shot at placing top 3 in his age group. Run less is garbage its for middling fools.

That's  4x 2k workout progress of a 55 year old

3/12   8:41; 8:39, 8:41, 8:36

4/16  8:18, 8:18; 8:16, 8:08

5/14  7:58, 7:53,8:06, 7:49

6/4    8:15, 7:44, 7:53 7:46

8/13 7:40 7:46, 7:48, 7:46

You've been trolling this thread since your initial 21:12 comment.  Do you always do this?

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

I'm not saying this to debate the benefits of your program or the benefit of doing some non running activities, but I wouldn't necessarily label the runs that are done between quality workouts as "junk". They might be junk, but they don't have to be. Easy runs that don't break you down have a lot of value.

It really comes down to one's training philosophy.  I also only cycled three times per week emphasizing hard rides of various types.  Some cyclists do recovery rides.  I took whole days off instead as it worked better for my body.  If easy runs work similarly for some runners like they do for some cyclists, I can appreciate that some would want to go that route.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

You've been trolling this thread since your initial 21:12 comment.  Do you always do this?

No actually I'm serious if being honest is trolling then so be it. The second attempt goes badly. You put so much emphasis you overcook the 1st mile and limp home my 1st 5k 18:27 my 2nd 19:39 19:07.  It happens we put too much emphasis and pressure on ourselves. Just train race don't count your chickens.

August 22, 2007 18:27 5:56 min/mi

September 06, 2007 19:07 6:09 min/mi

an amazing likeness

From your recent 1st whack at it, you've clearly got wheels.  Making gains in the 5K is an incremental battle...what seem like big changes in effort yield incremental time gains over big jumps, at least that's been my experience. (and as a result I hate the short little pain factories they are...) From reading your stuff here, it seems like you've got the ability to push through the point when your body is saying 'that's all there is!'.  Also in your first whack at it, you posted something like 71% age graded time...which is already up into the right side of the bell curve.

Yada...yada...all that was really just to say, it's going to be incremental.  When you hit the 19s, you'll be battling first OA female, or masters female, depending on field. The next increment gets a lot harder as father time will rob you of stride length.

I'd bet if you don't change anything, a cool Sept morning race with a fast field and wide course will get you to the 19:30s...from there 18 is in sight. Going to be fun to watch you leg it out, hope you keep RA posting about it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Something good came of it today is my runnerversary my first race was a Wednesday evening summer series 5k where I battled a college girl from U. Penn home for the summer.

From your recent 1st whack at it, you've clearly got wheels.  Making gains in the 5K is an incremental battle...what seem like big changes in effort yield incremental time gains over big jumps, at least that's been my experience. (and as a result I hate the short little pain factories they are...) From reading your stuff here, it seems like you've got the ability to push through the point when your body is saying 'that's all there is!'.  Also in your first whack at it, you posted something like 71% age graded time...which is already up into the right side of the bell curve.

Yada...yada...all that was really just to say, it's going to be incremental.  When you hit the 19s, you'll be battling first OA female, or masters female, depending on field. The next increment gets a lot harder as father time will rob you of stride length.

I'd bet if you don't change anything, a cool Sept morning race with a fast field and wide course will get you to the 19:30s...from there 18 is in sight. Going to be fun to watch you leg it out, hope you keep RA posting about it.

"Little pain factory" - ha, that's an excellent description of the 5K experience.  I definitely gave 100% effort.  My body was saying "ENOUGH!" but I kept looking at my watch and realizing the pain wasn't going to last much longer and kept pushing.  Then it's all worth it when you cross the line!

I just find it exciting to be in a different sport where there is potential for improvement.  The race only had 161 finishers so placing first in my age group wasn't that much of an achievement.  I know with bigger races, that will be much more difficult.  I was 14th overall but I noticed that the second place finisher was 39 and he crushed my time with a 16:34 so if he runs this race next year, I'm definitely not getting first.

This was the listing of finishers:

http://www.coolrunning.com/results/19/ma/Aug14_Stride_set1.shtml?fbclid=IwAR2bI9MX2EO2bMKw_qT67kroQMR4Vg5XYXgmE8uaRtSnryPq1F-n5CcAsqc

Thanks for the encouragement!

Personal Records:

"Little pain factory" - ha, that's an excellent description of the 5K experience.  I definitely gave 100% effort.  My body was saying "ENOUGH!" but I kept looking at my watch and realizing the pain wasn't going to last much longer and kept pushing.  Then it's all worth it when you cross the line!

I just find it exciting to be in a different sport where there is potential for improvement.  The race only had 161 finishers so placing first in my age group wasn't that much of an achievement.  I know with bigger races, that will be much more difficult.  I was 14th overall but I noticed that the second place finisher was 39 and he crushed my time with a 16:34 so if he runs this race next year, I'm definitely not getting first.

http://www.coolrunning.com/results/19/ma/Aug14_Stride_set1.shtml?fbclid=IwAR2bI9MX2EO2bMKw_qT67kroQMR4Vg5XYXgmE8uaRtSnryPq1F-n5CcAsqc

Thanks for the encouragement!

I think sub 18 is a good goal for you. Find a USATF New England grand prix race if you want to find out where you rank in your age group--a local yokels weeknight 5k is always going to be a crap shoot. The grand prix 10k is Lone Gull up your way in September.

By the way the kid who won your 5k is a 2x Olympic trials qualifier in the marathon and has finished 10th at the Boston Marathon. I've known him since he was 16 and running 2-mile races at his current marathon pace. Distance running is a long term project.

Runners run

an amazing likeness

What I do, is drop that url into the "Event URL" of the race workout entry in your log, that way it becomes part of the log record for that race and you don't have to track it elsewhere.  Also don't overlook the finishing placement data in the workout, and the quality & effort sections -- because you can build reports on those down the road.

If you have an interest in coming north up I-95, there's a sweet 10K up here called Portland Trails to Ale 10K in early Sept and the front of the pack will be the big hammers from Dirigo running club and give you some solid rabbits to chase.

paul2432

I'd like to qualify my earlier comment.  Sub-18:00 is a good long term goal if you optimize your training for running sub-18:00.  If you don't then it may be too ambitious.

Regarding have a numerical goal.  I don't think having a numerical goal is necessarily mutually exclusive with more process oriented goals especially when the numerical goal is far in the future.  All of us here are smart enough to understand the idea of train to our current fitness.  It is a very simple concept.  We are also all smart enough to measure our progress over time and adjust our long term goals if needed as the target dates get closer.

distenia

spam

an amazing likeness

bump