Training advice (Read 113 times)

gingerbreadman

Hey everyone!

I'm a long-time runner, and have a fair amount of knowledge of training theory and best practices. But today I was looking at races that I'd like to run later this year, and was hoping for some thoughts on the best way to prepare for an unusual schedule. I'm going to be running a marathon the first weekend of May, for which my goal time is about 2:35. There is then a series of four 7-10k road races four weeks in a row, beginning the last Wednesday in May. So that gives about three weeks between the marathon and the four consecutive weeks of shorter races.

So, here's the question: What do you think is the best way to transition from the marathon into a sustained racing period? The marathon is really my goal race, and the road races are just for fun (though I would still like to do well). Following the marathon, should I just try to maintain my taper? Recover for a week and then ramp up again for a week with intervals again to get the legs moving? I know I can't maintain a taper for six weeks, but I also want to make sure I recover propoerly after an all-out marathon.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have! And if I explained that schedule poorly, please ask for clarification..!

Feeling the growl again

Since it is your stated goal, I assume you are just going to go all-out on the marathon.

Looking at your log briefly, you have good speed off what appears to be relatively low mileage.  Hopefully you are in the process of entering a phase of 50+ mpw for that 2:35 attempt.  I did not look to see what you did for your 2:41, though, maybe you are in an off period lately.

I'd just rest and recover 7-10 days after the marathon then go back to low-ish mileage through the races.  A workout on Tuesday with the races on the weekends with some easy running in between.  Strides at the end of most runs.  I would focus on shorter/faster stuff like intervals during the racing period, the 10Ks will serve the purpose of tempo running.

It does not take a whole lot to maintain fitness, a fraction of what it takes to build it.  Some of the pros when racing 5Ks every weekend on the European circuit are only running 20-odd mpw.  But before racing season it was 80-100mpw.

Training for a marathon is a great way to prep for shorter races.  I ran most of my PRs within the month or two after a marathon.  I did a 32:09 once 6 days after a 2:28 when I could still not walk right.  I wouldn't recommend that...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

gingerbreadman

Thanks Spaniel, that's really helpful.

Indeed, I'm looking to take the marathon all out and see what I can do. I did the 2:41 off of only about 7 weeks prep following a 6-month near-complete hiatus due to injury and then frustration during the previous season at school. I've since graduated, and I'm hoping that the base I have now (though inconsistent very recently) plus 10 weeks of targeted training should produce something good. I'll be over 50 mpw already this week, and barring disaster/injury hope to hold at least 50-60 all the way through until I taper a bit.

Your suggestions make a lot of sense. The shorter races are four consecutive Wednesday evenings, so I guess shorter and faster Saturday workouts, and lots of recovery and strides for the rest, should maintain fitness pretty well after a brief recovery period post-marathon.

Thanks for sharing your insight!

Feeling the growl again

Your suggestions make a lot of sense. The shorter races are four consecutive Wednesday evenings, so I guess shorter and faster Saturday workouts, and lots of recovery and strides for the rest, should maintain fitness pretty well after a brief recovery period post-marathon.

Yes.  One faster workout per week plus the races will maintain your aerobic fitness for a month or so, much longer it will start to decline.  The strides etc will keep your legs sharp and snappy.

It's pretty apparent you have a good level of baseline talent.  If you do hit that 2:35 there is no reason to not think into the 2:20s if you can continue to build your overall mileage over the next couple years.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

runmichigan

So, here's the question: What do you think is the best way to transition from the marathon into a sustained racing period? The marathon is really my goal race, and the road races are just for fun (though I would still like to do well). Following the marathon, should I just try to maintain my taper? Recover for a week and then ramp up again for a week with intervals again to get the legs moving? I know I can't maintain a taper for six weeks, but I also want to make sure I recover properly after an all-out marathon.

I recommend that you do a reverse taper following you marathon effort.   If you taper was 10 days or two weeks, you would build your mileage back up over 10 days to 2 weeks.  I would not do any intervals in the two weeks following a hard marathon effort, though strides would be a good idea after each run.