The Booze and Waffle Thread, Long Live The Wild Wild West (Read 401 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Meh.

Wicked Weed is not just bought out by a major beer company, but did so after railing for years about other breweries selling out. Plenty of other beers out there with less hypocrisy.

Founders has major issues with racism plaguing their company and has done a terrible job addressing it.

Prairie Noir is great...if it is not infected like so many of their beers are.

BCBS is very good, but yea, it ain't worth the price unless you have money to spend and really like it.

Yeti is good, but has not innovated at all and in this market is kinda boring.

Dragon's Milk and its variants beat all those out...IMO, YMMV. CH17, where are you in the world? Recs should follow your location.

Wicked Weed brewing company for sours...even though they were bought out by a major beer company.

Try Foundars Breakfast Stout after a morning run.

Prarie ARtisan Ales makes Noir you might also like.

BCBS....it's good. I'm just not convinced it worth the price anymore.

Yeti from Great Divide is also good. Many variants too.

mikeymike

You would think, however no one else here agrees with me. And yes Deschutes is an excellent brewery and the Black Butte Porter is absolutely one of my go-tos. I was able to hit the Deschutes brewery/restaurant in Bend, OR a couple years ago. Great draft selection and a couple cask options, which is something I always go for when available. Very good food even.

When we were in Bend for xc club nationals in 2013 a group of us angry chickens ate and drank at Deschutes and I had The Abyss.

Man.

Runners run

Founders has major issues with racism plaguing their company and has done a terrible job addressing it.

That is sad because when I lived in MI they were my favorite brewery. Some really great beers, including their Breakfast Stout. My favorite was the KBS, their barrel-aged imperial stout. It was a very limited annual release with waiting lists and whatnot; some beers like that are overrated, but to me this one lives up to the hype. Recently learned they've now made it year-round. A couple years ago I spotted a 4-pack in a grocery store near me, which I was surprised to see because Founders doesn't really distribute out here at all. Snapped it up and enjoyed it immensely.

Dave

Prince of Fatness

Meh.

Wicked Weed is not just bought out by a major beer company, but did so after railing for years about other breweries selling out. Plenty of other beers out there with less hypocrisy.

Prairie Noir is great...if it is not infected like so many of their beers are.

BCBS is very good, but yea, it ain't worth the price unless you have money to spend and really like it.

Yeti is good, but has not innovated at all and in this market is kinda boring.

Dragon's Milk and its variants beat all those out...IMO, YMMV. CH17, where are you in the world? Recs should follow your location.

Beer snob. 

Actually agree with most of this except Dragons Milk. It’s good but doesn’t stand out IMO. File this under drink what you like. 

My favorite BA Stout is from a brewery somewhat local to me. May be some home town bias, but I’ve had a lot of them and it stacks up.

Not at it at all. 

Here's a warning: THIS IS NOT A MAI TAI

Cutwater Tiki Rum Mai Tai Price & Reviews | Drizly

For others looking for a lazy way to have a mai tai, this is NOT one. This is more like a Pina Colada.

It has freakin' pineapple and coconut in it!

The company should be taken to court for false advertising, and blasphemy.

I had to change the garnish after one sip, so it would be a pina colada. What a waste of mint sprig and lime shell....as if CV19 sheltering in place wasn't bad enough.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, it is sad. Their beers are standard bearers. Breakfast Stout. Dirty Bastard & Backwoods Bastard. KBS. They all come to mind.

KBS now sits on shelves all over. In part because Founders makes a LOAD more, in part because folks are not buying Founders after the whole racism scandal, and in part because every little town makes coffee stouts that are as good or better than KBS and folks like to shop local. I have a load of old KBS that I am quietly drinking, but I'm not planning on buying more.

That is sad because when I lived in MI they were my favorite brewery. Some really great beers, including their Breakfast Stout. My favorite was the KBS, their barrel-aged imperial stout. It was a very limited annual release with waiting lists and whatnot; some beers like that are overrated, but to me this one lives up to the hype. Recently learned they've now made it year-round. A couple years ago I spotted a 4-pack in a grocery store near me, which I was surprised to see because Founders doesn't really distribute out here at all. Snapped it up and enjoyed it immensely.

My favorite BA Stout is from a brewery somewhat local to me. May be some home town bias, but I’ve had a lot of them and it stacks up.

You must name names.

Also, you live in Ninkasi country, which is a wonderful thing.

Dave

Prince of Fatness

You must name names.

Also, you live in Ninkasi country, which is a wonderful thing.

Dude Ninkasi is nowhere near me. 

Anyway the brewery is Free Will and the beer is Ralphius. Black Friday release. Always some variants. The cinnamon chile is fantastic. 

Used to be an under the radar beer and it was easy to go get some. Last year there were long lines alas. They are catching on. 

Good for them as they do good work but the selfish me would like for them to remain obscure.

Not at it at all. 

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

If you've honked at me recently while seeing me out running, I apologize if I ignored you.  Smile

Well, you didn't give me the finger so I figured I was ahead :-D

Dude Ninkasi is nowhere near me. 

LOLOL for some unknown reason I thought I was quoting Surly Bill. 

Dave

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Finn has shown me the way: Free Will does strong work.

I have a load of old KBS that I am quietly drinking, but I'm not planning on buying more.

If you need any help, well that’s what imaginary internet friends are for. 

In the meantime, right now I’m enjoying a delicious Dark Star Imperial Oatmeal Stout from Fremont Brewing, which is a wonderful brewery in Seattle.

Dave

Can I name drop some beer snobbery?

Sort of locally, about half hour away if traffic cooperates, I can get Pliny The Elder on tap at Russian River, and have had the luck to be there when they made an unannounced release of Pliny The Younger (usually block long lines) It was ok, but I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Closer, near the Mexican restaurant we like in Berkeley (Picante), is Fieldwork. I've liked everything of theirs I've had, but have yet to actually go into the brewery! Before Covid, it was crowded with man-bun types, not that I have anything in particular against THEM, but I do with crowds. Locally in my rough and ready town of Richmond, we have East Brother and Armistice, neither of which have anything worth writing home about, but East Brother has a great taproom location off the beaten track.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

an amazing likeness

Tonight... Bunker Machine from Bunker Brewing post run, followed by Long Trail Ale with dinner, followed by Switchback Ale. None from the wild west.

mta: followed up with Moat Mtn Pils...so ME, VT, NH to fuel the Saturday run.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Prince of Fatness

You can send me all of the Russian River sours as you can fit in a box, surly.

Not at it at all.