Atlanta (really Sandy Springs / Dunwoody) (Read 59 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Down there this weekend. What are some good places to run me some miles?

I'll be staying just outside Perimeter, near where 400 cuts across on the North side. Looks like there may be some nice trails along the Chattahoochee up there, but I can't find any details.

Prince of Fatness

Pick me up some Sweetwater pls.

Not at it at all. 

BeeRunB

Cochran shoals area near Chattahoochee is good. Close to you. Park over at Eugen Gunby Rd. side of the river. Bring 3 dollars to pay for parking (envelope system). It's a mostly wide dirt trail loop. About 3 miles. Bathrooms.

A little further up the highway is the Silver Comet Trail. A 40-mile long bike trail. I run there more often:

Silver Comet Trail 4573 Mavell Rd Smyrna, GA 30008 

free parking, bathroom

Enjoy Atlanta.

--Jimmy

catwhoorg

Labrat

Silver Comet is over 60 miles, over 90 if count the connecting trail (Chief Ladiga) in Alabama.

Its a great place for a run or ride, but a little way from SandySprings/Dunwwody.

Your also not too far from the Eastside Beltline.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

gpb

Cochran Shoals (along the Chattahoochee) is okay, though awfully crowded.

From SandySprings/Dunwoody area it's a bit easier to reach via the Johnson Ferry / Columns Drive section, branching up the Sope Creek trails if you want more hills/trails. See here for maps and info: http://www.nps.gov/chat/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Silver Comet trail is nice, but a pretty good drive the West.

Instead I'd recommend the Alpharetta section of the Big Creek Greenway. See here for info: http://www.alpharetta.ga.us/index.php?p=136

Also consider the Chattahoochee river trails (paved) along along Azalea Drive and Riverside Road, as well as Vickery Creek trails. See http://visitroswellga.com/what-to-do/nature/chattahoochee-river-attractions-and-trails/ and http://www.nps.gov/chat/planyourvisit/upload/TrailMapVickery.pdf

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Your also not too far from the Eastside Beltline.

This looks way south/southeast of where we will be. Does it extend north?

gpb

FYI that's 11 or 12 miles away.  Not really that far in the grand scheme of things unless you're in rush hour traffic.  Smile

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ah, cool.

I'm right now considering Cochran shoals or the Alpharetta Greenway. They look nice and a bit closer. Silver Comet looks nice as well, but further away. I will have limited time.

runlikeagirI

This might be an option  -  http://www.windwardroadrunners.com/ .  I have not run with this group before so I can't tell you how many show up or where the route goes.  Another page of theirs says that Saturday run information is usually updated by Thursday night.

stshipley7

Depending on the distance you want to run, you can run along Mt. Vernon Road from Sandy Springs to Dunwoody and back, it's flat and sidewalk almost the whole way and hundreds of runners are out there when the weather is good.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Is that the same as Mt. Vernon Highway?

gpb

Depends on where along the road you are. It's Hwy on the western section, Road on the eastern. Mt Vernon is sidewalked from Dunwoody Villiage Pkwy west to Glenridge Dr or so, then it's a little spotty but passable to Roswell Rd. You could then go north on Johnson Ferry (sidewalked) to Abernathy and take that back east to the Abernaty/MtVernon intersection for a loop.

If you want a bit more distance, from Abernathy and Roswell Rd go north to Spalding Dr to Dalrymple Rd to Peachtree Dunwoody Rd then back south to Abernathy. All sidewalk.

Just be very careful crossing in front of cars pulling out of side streets / parking lots.  People here are VERY bad for not looking for pedestrians.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks! Looks like I am staying just a hair west of 400, right on Mt. Vernon.

gpb

Cool, there's a bunch of decent sidewalk routes in the area that you can form into just about any distance you want to do.

Watch out for Hammond Drive between Glenridge and Roswell Rd though, narrow street without sidewalks.  Otherwise, most non-residential streets have sidewalk on at least one side to my recollection.

Also, there are a couple running stores near by; Phidippides and FleetFeet.