The Joys of Being on the C-Team (Volume I) (Read 1152 times)

JakeKnight

Caution - bragging follows. If you don't want to see bragging, avert your eyes. (The braggins is at the bottom. If you *dig* bragging, feel free to skip the rest. But don't miss Mr. T. He don't like that.) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Following last weeks troll interludes, I've spent some time thinking about what it's like being a proud member of the C-team when it comes to running. In case you're unaware where the "c-team" label came from, here's the thread: http://runningahead.com/frm_topic.aspx?id=98d5d2cd44c84ad7ac349a8e4463a567&p=1 So on last week's loooooong run through the woods, I was pondering my c-team status. And I came to some conclusions, and I'll likely go on about them ad nauseum in a couple long boring posts on the subject at some point. But for now, here's the simple version: being on the c-team is awesome. Just. Plain. Awesome. And there's a whole lot of reasons why it's awesome ... but for now, I'll stick to one. And here it is: those poor "elite" "A-team" runners have nowhere to go but down. For most of them, their glory days were years ago. Maybe decades. For a lot of them, their awesome PR's came before they could buy beer. Or before they could vote. Or drive. Even those still at the peak of their game have a horrible problem: for them, even in long races, they're struggling and training and doing torturous speed work, just to maintain their times, or maybe - barely - to shave a few seconds off their PR. Sure, they're lightning fast. They're the ones winning the age group awards at your local 5-K. But you know what? THAT MUST SUCK. Imagine it. Imagine working that hard to *NOT* improve. Shocked Poor guys. And gals. Cry But then there's the c-team. For us, whether we're 30 or 40 or 50, we got nowhere to go but up. The slower we are, the better ... cuz it's just that much more room for improvement. Isn't that just the coolest? I fully expect to still be striving for new PRs when I'm in my 50s or 60s. Those poor A-team guys will be trying not to DOUBLE their PRs. While I'm feeling (compared to my out-of-shape self) incredibly fit and powerful, they'll all think they're flabby girlymen. And compared to their ridiculous times in high school, they will be! When I start winning age group awards in roughly the year 2045, they'll still be busy comparing themselves to their former A-team sorta times. I almost feel bad for 'em. Almost. Wink And let's face it ... us c-teamers run because we love it. The c-team is an attitude ... an attitude that won't change, even if by accident we stumble into being almost elite. We have more fun. Drink more beer. Generally have a better time as we waddle along. And it's partly cuz we know that - thanks to our slow waddling - that we've got our best runs ahead of us! Know what I mean? Here's an example: I know for a fact that I'll eventually be capable of a 3:30 marathon. For those A-teamers, that's pathetically slow (good enough for Boston at 45, though!). And it's approaching an HOUR better than my current 4:20 PR. Think about that. I have FIFTY minutes worth of time I can improve on. Wicked cool. I get to have all that fun, and the A-team speed demons don't get any. I pity them fools. All right,now it's time to brag. I went to the track and ran my "virtual" 5-k today. It was the wrong time of day, way too windy ... no reason I should have run fast. Except I did. Know why? Cuz I'm a frickin' C-TEAMER, which means there's plenty of room to improve. Here's my last two PR's on the 5-k. Check my C-team ass out, huh? Look what I did today? 10/6/2006 Run 5-K (3.1 Miles) Running Ahead VIRTUAL RACE Race 5 km 22:39 7:18 5/29/2006 Run Memorial Day 5K (Old Cemetery Nashville) Race 5 km 24:15 7:49 Yeah. That's right. I took better than a minute and a half off my 5k time from last Spring. With no crowds or chips or aid stations. (And yes, it was precisely 5000 meters.) I didn't even run all that hard. Just went out and had a good time enjoying all the hard work from the last 4+ months. Being on the C-team rocks. And hey ... I *did* say I was going to brag. Tongue

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hell, yeah! In 3.5 months I improved upon my own 5k time by 1:04--and that was not adjusting for the 30 seconds it took me to get to the start (first race was timed from the start mat, second race from the gun) or having to weave around mobs of slower folks, so I probably really improved by more like 2-3 minutes...let's see those A-Team runners do that in such a short period of time! Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, congrats on the new PR! That might just qualify you to be on the b-team. Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

Finished!

LOL Big grin I was just thinking along similar lines myself. I keep being amazed at the small things - like how my pace seems to be improving (y'all hear that? I think I'm finally figuring out pace!!) and how I can actually run - way back in high school, I was a sprinter - and not a real good one either, so I was actually a hurdler - 100M high and 200M intermediates - I never ever thought I would be able to run a mile. Much less train for a 5k...but I appear to be on track. So huzzah for us C-Teamers Big grin
          Walk + Jog = wog.
          I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
          I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
            This is off the topic, but does anyone remember the BENNY HILL skit THE B-TEAM?
            JakeKnight

This is off the topic, but does anyone remember the BENNY HILL skit THE B-TEAM?
              Don't remember that particular skit - but I sure do miss Benny. RIP, you old pervert.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The brits have the best comedic minds, hands-down! I never really got into Benny Hill, but my dad has long been a HUGE fan! I'm more of a Monty Python gal, myself. k

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Congrats to all who have recently set new PR's. You know, you can establish "age group" PRs. I am sitting here on the front porch of my 6th decade and can start tinking about PRs for races run in my 50's! Keep in mind I am not going to be winning any age-group awards due to the fact that "dang!, those 50-59 year old men are FAYAST! I pitty the fool who thinks that he/she has to measure up to what they accomplished 20 years ago! Running a smarter race is an AWESOME feeling...you know, putting it all out there without risk of injury or feeling miserable for a week...being able to run a day or two after a marathon....DANG, there is soooooo much to be excited about and to be proud of! "Now, go away before ah taunt yew a second time!" (spoken in syrupy Frency accent while wearing a silly hat!) Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Well I am on the LAST TEAM, and it rocks. At 58 the kids are amazed that I even breath, let alone run. Think of the motivation I have; if I get worse they'll have to bury me, so I made up my mind that I'll get better. So JakeKnight and the C Team Braggarts, Watch your back. I'll be behind you all the way, with lots of room for improvement.
                    Age is not an illusion
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

"Now, go away before ah taunt yew a second time!" (spoken in syrupy Frency accent while wearing a silly hat!)
                      That's hot. /Paris Hilton

~ Sarah Kay

I C what you mean.
                        My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

gimme some sugar, baby

What really matters to me is that I truly enjoy running. I don't know what team I'm on, and I have no idea if I'll be faster or slower in the future. I just know that I love getting out and running, whether it's racing or spending some time on a beautiful trail. I love it. I really think love for the sport is what is most important, much more so than PRs or improvement.
                          George: Runner/Law Student
                          www.gimme-five.com