Which race? (Read 607 times)

I started running last July. In Sept I ran a local 5K. My time was OK for a first timer. But which race to run this Sept? The 15K, a new race for me and a new challenge, or the 5k to see what kind of improvement I have made?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

How far apart are they (days? weeks?) Can you do both? Or are the races held at the same event, (some places offer multiple distance races)? I would say definitely do the 5k to see your improvements, but also, try the 15k too, so next year you can do that again and see the improvements. To have pick one or the other, I suppose I'd do the 5k, it's my favorite race anyhow. Big grin

Michelle

I am sorry, I should have said they are the same day. OH and about a month later is a half marathon I am thinking about too. Right now though my energy is in the Indy HM then getting my ITBS cured!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

To have pick one or the other, I suppose I'd do the 5k, it's my favorite race anyhow. Big grin
          Especially with the healing going on and with the HM not far behind. Smile

Michelle

You'll ruin your knees!

I am sorry, I should have said they are the same day. OH and about a month later is a half marathon I am thinking about too. Right now though my energy is in the Indy HM then getting my ITBS cured!
            OK, here's the deal...you're running now, I see those 8 milers scattered about your log! You have time to heal up! So, my suggestion is to find a 5K for July, 10K for Aug, run the 15K in Sept and do the half in Oct! Run the 5K and the half as races and run the 10K and 15K for fun! No go run, fill in some of those days between the 8 milers! You can totally do this! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Lazy idiot

OK, here's the deal...you're running now, I see those 8 milers scattered about your log! You have time to heal up! So, my suggestion is to find a 5K for July, 10K for Aug, run the 15K in Sept and do the half in Oct! Run the 5K and the half as races and run the 10K and 15K for fun! No go run, fill in some of those days between the 8 milers! You can totally do this! Lynn B
              This is the kind of encouragement that keeps me coming back ten times a day to RA. Without a doubt, the best online community (running or otherwise) I have had the opportunity to be a part of. Thanks!

Tick tock

Lynn, I know I should be running during the week now, but I am really worried I'll do more damage to my knee and I have been looking fwd to the Indy HM next Sat for a full year. Tomorrow is a 5 miler. IF my knee is OK then I'll run 2 and 3 miles a few times next week. Then 2 weks off with strecthing teh ITB then picking up with 2 and 3 miles about every other day for 7 to 10 days. I HOPE to be back to those 8 and 10 milers again by mid Jun. I really enjoy them!! And you advice seems to be exactly what I need to do!! Anyone need a used left knee?

Imminent Catastrophe

I am sorry, I should have said they are the same day. OH and about a month later is a half marathon I am thinking about too.
                  Personally I would do the 15k, it's a good training run for the half marathon.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Thanks for the responses. I am now looking for a few more races to run as training. ITBS was not too bad this morning. I ran the other side of the street in places to take pressure off my left knee. Then with about a tenth to go I got on the sidewalk and promptly caught a toe on a seam! I am a sight!! Road rash on both hands and above my left eye. A split nose bridge, two skinned knees and I think I my glasses are going to give me a black eye! Going to have a really nice finish photo next Sat!! But my knee while sore is much better. And my time was not bad even with the fall!!