Grand Haven Coast Guard Fest 10k -- aka "fool me once..." (Read 750 times)

shyrunner07

After last year's poorly done race I remember talking to someone who said that the previous year's event was also bad. I'm really amazed that people keep coming back. I don't think I will. There are other 10ks in the area that may not have as pretty a course, but likely won't have all the frustrations, either. k
    I think jesse was hired to do the race in 2001 or 2002, so i'm assuming this is as good as it gets for the race. They told him that all they needed was for him to do a starter's pistol (which he thought was wicked cool) but then the week of, they said "oh btw you're going to broadcast this, right?" along with getting someone else to actually start the event. He wanted to say no, but they'd already committed the station in their advertising, etc (would have looked really bad if the station pulled out then). Add to that, the girl who was their contact person wasn't even at the race, so jesse had no idea where to go, or what to do. No one could hear the race begin, so people in the back were yelling at Jesse...people were giving him lost items (no lost and found station) but with no CGF person there, he was left being responsible for lost purses etc. And then of course, there were the residents of this fine town which i loathe to be a part of, ragging on jesse's appearance and his "involvement" with the race. Mind you, he's no Lance Armstrong, but since when does an announcer need to have 4% body fat and eat sleep and breathe the sport? His heart and personality certainly could run circles around the jerks who were there that day. blech. GH+the CGF. Wake me up when this week is ov-ah. Tongue
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And then of course, there were the residents of this fine town which i loathe to be a part of, ragging on jesse's appearance and his "involvement" with the race. Mind you, he's no Lance Armstrong, but since when does an announcer need to have 4% body fat and eat sleep and breathe the sport? His heart and personality certainly could run circles around the jerks who were there that day.
      That part makes me ill. I hate the whole physical appearance part of running and athletics, in general. I think anyone who has some jiggle and still gets out and runs is to be commended. It's one thing to be one of those naturally skinny, athletic types (like my monster-in-law) and run a race out where everyone can watch and make physical assessments, but I have a ton of respect for anyone who goes out and participates in a sport that they aren't a natural at and do their best. Too many people talk out of both sides of their mouths. On one hand they will make judgements about overweight people, yet they have no qualms about also snickering at larger folks who are trying to take control of their weight and health through physical activity. It's easy to understand the apprehension a lot of people have about joining a gym and being seen or even mocked.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

btb1490

Hey, given the heat, the lack of water and otherwise poor organization, you did run your best time there, got to meet up with friends, and got a nice shirt. So it was a good day! There is a local Thanksgiving Day 5 miler that I used to run 10 years ago, and after 3 years in a row of poor organization, I said never again. Last year I decided to give it another go, and guess what... still just as poorly run, yet it attracts a big crowd. So there must be more to running races than just the race itself that keeps us coming back. Congratulations!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There is a local Thanksgiving Day 5 miler that I used to run 10 years ago, and after 3 years in a row of poor organization, I said never again. Last year I decided to give it another go, and guess what... still just as poorly run, yet it attracts a big crowd. So there must be more to running races than just the race itself that keeps us coming back.
          Heh, what's that thing about insanity...doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Yep, we runners are insane. That's the only explanation. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

just asked hubby and he said that the best person to direct your complaints to would be Mike Smith, the CGF's director. I guess the Y still isn't as involved with the race as it would appear (though Smith is looking to shift it over to them in time). Jesse said that Mike is a really really nice guy, so hopefully your thoughts will fall on receptive ears.... Smile
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I may do that. It seems a shame that the West MI race with the nicest course would be such a disaster. They could take some lessons from the Seaway Run (with the exception of the course marker thing). k

~ Sarah Kay