2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

rlk Do you know of any half marathons in the area between January and May that you'd recommend? A friend's kid might want to run his first. He's like top 3 in the northern part of our state for the 3200.

"the area" - yours or mine? two significantly far-apart areas!

there's a great one in SF typically on the first sunday of february - kaiser permanente sf half. starts in golden gate park, runs up and down along ocean beach. slight net downhill.

sorry i've been MIA for awhile. i ran into Jim, who has been even more MIA than I, at an XC race on sunday (neither of us raced) and he is dealing with some tendinitis but is in good spirits. he's been doing more awesome work with the ABA and is hoping to guide another blind runner at CIM (they do it in pairs each running a half marathon).

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

"the area" - yours or mine? two significantly far-apart areas!

there's a great one in SF typically on the first sunday of february - kaiser permanente sf half. starts in golden gate park, runs up and down along ocean beach. slight net downhill.

sorry i've been MIA for awhile. i ran into Jim, who has been even more MIA than I, at an XC race on sunday (neither of us raced) and he is dealing with some tendinitis but is in good spirits. he's been doing more awesome work with the ABA and is hoping to guide another blind runner at CIM (they do it in pairs each running a half marathon).

Mine, but as soon as I asked the reason changed. Kid decided to do something nutrition related. I was looking forward to him coming out for longer runs during winter. Sounds like a nice half to run though.

I hope Jim gets paired up with Scott Jurek. Seriously....that guy does some amazing things.  Also, Some guy named Brian Renolds (I social media stalk him) is running it. Maybe I'll get luck and he'll be around my pace.

EDIT: Ultimate Direction is mailing me a cap for my 500+ water bottle. I broke it when I crossed the finish line of a 23.5 mile run with 5,000+ ft of climbing. Totally my fault. I told them I broke it and wondered if they sell a replacement. They're mailing me a free one. I also bought a (now) second identical bottle so I'm set for my next ultra marathon. Their AMP (similar to the EDC) bottle is nice to have for hot runs, or longer runs where I'll carry water and some gels. I enjoy the lack of sloshing and softer feel of it over the hard bottle. So score 1 for me.

Random thought/question(s) of the day/discussion for a while. Hydration. How much water do you drink in a day? How much do you THINK people/runners should drink in a day? does water during exercise count towards your daily amount? Do you track it or just "two refills of my fancy water container" is sufficient? What counts as hydration (i.e. anything but coffee/tea/soda? Sparkling water? ONLY WATER?) Reason being is Garmin rolled out hydration tracking and I started using it. I actually started using it and previously I attempted to drink as much water as I drank coffee/caffeine in the morning. It's now feeling hard to drink water probably because it's cooling off and when it was hot at 9am it seemed like I got thirsty sooner. Current goal is 96 ounces (I weigh 163ish lbs if that matters) a day and I'm failing miserably, but that's okay because I'm doing better than zero.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

From the Internet.

I count everything for water intake. Diuretic effect of caffeine in coffee/tea is negligible relative to the volume of liquid you take in when you consume it.

I should start tracking it - I am THE WORST at drinking enough! I think my thirst mechanism is broken or something. Training definitely got easier this summer when I started forcing down more water/sparkling water/Gatorade/anything than I really wanted.

pepperjack

pie man

What about beer?

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

PBR isn’t beer sir. It’s delicious flavored sparkling water.

What about beer?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

From the Internet.

What about beer?

It's a recovery beverage! Water, carbs and alcohol!

If I just have one I count it; more than that and I'll drink extra water too.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

how much water one should drink is incredibly individual. but i'm a firm believer in listening to your body, which to me means drinking to stave off thirst (during the day, not necessarily mid-run). I have a reusable 22? oz bottle at my desk that I refill several times per day. that (and peeing a lot, as a result, lol) also forces me to get up and walk around a bit, which is good! i chug cold water when i get in from runs (it's been warm here the past few days), and i also sorta force myself to drink a lot before bed since i usually run first thing in the AM.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Strict WTF adherent

berylrunner

Rick

Mmmmmm, BEER.  The reason why I am not in the 3:00 thread.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

kcam

I drink only when I feel like I need to.  I don't force myself to drink ever, don't try to hit so many ounces per mile or whatever.  And .... get off my lawn you young whippersnappers!

I'm still out here banging away, but very inconsistently.  This was supposed to be a good week for me but this darn heat .... I missed Thursday and Friday because I didn't want to get out at lunch in the 90+ temps.  And I just can't force myself out in the evening when the sun goes down.  Sigh.

Mmmmmm, BEER.  The reason why I am not in the 3:00 thread.

100 miles last week and St George coming up?    No beer belly could stop you!

kcam - where to you live that is still so hot?  It feels like autumn here in nyc.

kcam

San Jose.  We always get a few last gasps of summer here in Sept and even Oct.  Hell, it was close to 100 on Friday.  Today the high will be 77!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hi - quick drive-by.  So quick, in fact, that I'm going to copy what I wrote in other places.  Sorry....

Essentially the last 8 days have been tied up with 4 separate vet visits, 2 of which were emergencies (cat with a bacterial infection last weekend; and then another cat that ate my headphones cord on the evening of Friday the 13th....)  And yes, everyone is fine right now, though my wallet is a bit lighter.....   This week I'm heading up to JMac/Rovatti land for work (almost certainly won't have time to meet up for a run unfortunately - things are very tightly scheduled).

My week:

63 miles, 24 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming
                            M: Yoga and 7 "miles" of pool-running
                            T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 4x1200 (splits of 4:30, 4:26, 4:23, 4:20; recoveries of 2:3x-2:4x). Also leg strengthwork and 1250 yards recovery swimming.
                            W: 8 miles very easy (8:58), yoga, and then 4 miles very easy (8:43).
                            Th: 11 "miles" of pool-running and upperbody weights and core.
                            F: 10.5 miles, including a 4 mile tempo in 25:12 (6:25/6:18/6:17/6:12). Followed with leg strengthwork and 1250 yards recovery swimming.
                            Sa: 7.5 miles very easy (8:37), upper body strength/core, and 4 miles very easy (8:22) plus drills and uphill strides
                            Su: 16 miles, mostly easy, but with 5 miles at marathon effort (averaging 6:58) in the middle. Followed with leg strengthwork, 6 "miles" of pool-running, and 500 yards recovery swimming.

Cross-posting my narrative from Letsrun…:

Feel very good and fit overall. I had some concerning stiffness and irritation in my right ankle (Posterior Tib)  during Saturday's run - almost certainly the result of overdoing some rehab exercises (that ankle is my bad one - I have stability problems in it and also a tendency for talocrural impingement) and wearing shoes with too small a toe box.

Ankle felt fine on Sunday morning when I woke up, but I was still a bit nervous about it - this is the wrong time in a marathon cycle to get injured. So I modified the 16 progressive out-and-back to 12 out-and-back easy ("let's see how this goes"). About 7 miles into that, the ankle felt decent, so I went ahead and did 5 miles at marathon effort. After that, the ankle still felt good, so I went ahead and did another 4 miles easy to get the scheduled mileage in. So that's why the Sunday run is a different format from my norm.

(I added the hour of pool-running because my coach had dialed back the original 20-22 miles progressive to 16, due to weather - I knew he wouldn't mind if I added some pool-running after to supplement the long run.)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

From the Internet.

Oof glad all the kitties are OK Dwave! Nice week and smart LR.

I've got twoooo more weeks until taper! 73.9 miles and this is my 4th week in a row over 70. I'll be OK with taking a couple of shorter easier days if I need them in the next week or so, gonna keep on trucking if I don't.

M - 7 easy

Tu - Tempo Tuesday with my club, we run a 2.5 mile loop for however many loops makes sense. Coach told me to do 3-4, which means HMP or a bit slower; ran 6:58 pace for 7.5 miles. Kept a small pack in my sights for the first two loops but didn't get overzealous and try to keep up with them bc I knew they were stopping before me; last loop alone and was pleased to see I could maintain the pace there. Really happy with that, definitely due for some PRs.

W - 7.1 easy

Th - 7 easy

F - 14 moderate, pushed a little bit at the end. 7:49 pace.

Sa - 7 easy

Su - 21 easy/mod. Legs were heavy and stomach was not TERRIBLE but definitely not happy; I had a beer last night and apparently one is too many the day before a long run now that I'm a lightweight again, lol. 3 gels (Maurten - sat OK but think I'm sticking with Spring Energy for my race), some water. 8:04 average.

lauren - nice week (4 weeks over 70 is solid!)

dw - glad the kitties are OK.  Let me know if you have any time for a jog in nyc

my week:

M: 6 easy + weights

T: 7 with track intervals: 4x1200@4:33

W: 6 easy

Th: 11 with hilly tempo in the park 2x5k@7:10 with 3min recovery

F: 1 aborted due to knee pain

S: 1h XT

S: 7 easy

total = 37

hey to everybody!