Achilles tendonitis (Read 948 times)

I've been battling an "ankle" injury since mid March '07. Back in June '06 I took a horrible rollerblading fall and hurt my ankle. I never got it looked at, just went about as usual and let it heal up...or so I thought. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that may be the reason, or at least a major contributor, to the problem that I'm having now. I've seen a pediotrist who's referred me to a PT and I'm currently doing stretches with him for this (along with hip issues...related? Not sure.) Thing is, I've been calling this ankle pain, but I think maybe I should be calling this achilles pain. I've called it ankle pain because when I'm running, the ankle can't flex as much as it should due to pain. This morning I noticed the pain starts more above my heel and goes 1/2 up my calf. When I press on both sides of my ankle bone, though, there's tenderness too. When I go out on my runs, it initially hurts up to about 1 1/4 - 2 miles but then I'm able to run ok on it w/o pain. If I feel anything, it might be a really minor "ghost-like" background ache but nothing that would stop me from running. And even if it's not currently hurting, I'll take a walk along the beach, for example, and drag my foot in the sand (so the top of my toes are on the sand) and it kills. Doesn't hurt when I'm walking normal, but moving my ankle in more than minor "normal" angles brings out the pain. I took the fall in June '06 but didn't really start tinkering with the running (run/walk/run a bit) until October '06. That would have given it a little over 3 months to recover. I recently got custom orthotics and they seem to be comfortable/ working out well. I've also cut my miles back down to only a few at a time, and I run like a snail. I'll mention this next PT visit, but does anyone have experience with AT? Words of advice? Anything I should ask the PT/ have done?
      Wish I could help, Joni. Does it consistently hurt/feel tight in the morning when you first wake up ?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Wish I could help, Joni. Does it consistently hurt/feel tight in the morning when you first wake up ?
        Thanks Cheryl! No, it doesn't. Infact, it never hurts in the morning. (Although I have to take a few steps outta bed before both my feet "work right"! Ha!) It hurt awhile yesterday when I first started out running and then it ached after, which prompted my post. Today I'm fine, although if I ran again today I don't know how it'd be. Just irritating enough to not allow me to fully concentrate on building my base, you know!? The more I'm reading about AT I'm thinking that's more of what's going on with me. But the disappearing after I warm up a mile or two puzzles me. Confused
          Ughhhhhhhhhhh wish I could be of some help, but I've never *knock on wood* had any problems with my AT. HOWEVER the ligament on top of my foot going up my ankle gets tight so I've been stretching that. (((HUGS))) Joni, I sure hope you get it figured out and fixed!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ughhhhhhhhhhh wish I could be of some help, but I've never *knock on wood* had any problems with my AT. HOWEVER the ligament on top of my foot going up my ankle gets tight so I've been stretching that. (((HUGS))) Joni, I sure hope you get it figured out and fixed!!
            Thanks so much Pam! I really appreciate it. I can't believe how well you're doing with running/ your ankle! That is great!!!
              Thanks so much Pam! I really appreciate it. I can't believe how well you're doing with running/ your ankle! That is great!!!
              I hate it when people I know who love to run, can't do it as much or the way the would like to due to an injury. I also feel guilty for bouncing back like I've done and keep waiting for it to bite me in the butt and teach me a lesson. Ok I've got my sports injury book out and I'm checking out achilles tendon. It asks if the tendon feels stiff first thing in the morning, and on starting exercise. It also asks when you stand on your toes barefoot, the tendon hurts then eases. However, it remains very sore to touch. It then states the cause is almost invariably friction from shoes with high backs, or heal tabs. It says i ftheir is no spasm causing pain higher up where the tendon joins the calf muscle you can keep running and that it will naturally feel stiff during the first part of your workout then easing up. Oh it also says another possibility is worn down insowls in shoes. Hope this helps at least a little.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I hate it when people I know who love to run, can't do it as much or the way the would like to due to an injury. I also feel guilty for bouncing back like I've done and keep waiting for it to bite me in the butt and teach me a lesson.
                I know! I feel the same way. But you definately shouldn't ever feel guilty. I think it's great that you're doing so well. Let's hope things stay that way!
                Ok I've got my sports injury book out and I'm checking out achilles tendon. It asks if the tendon feels stiff first thing in the morning, and on starting exercise. It also asks when you stand on your toes barefoot, the tendon hurts then eases. However, it remains very sore to touch.It then states the cause is almost invariably friction from shoes with high backs, or heal tabs.It says i ftheir is no spasm causing pain higher up where the tendon joins the calf muscle you can keep running and that it will naturally feel stiff during the first part of your workout then easing up. Oh it also says another possibility is worn down insowls in shoes. Hope this helps at least a little.
                Hmm. Well, maybe that's what the stiffness is in the a.m. ..but there's definately no pain, and it's only literally the first few steps I take outta bed. It's also both ankles..or achilles areas... which is weird; only the left hurts when I run. But I'm glad that you and Cheryl mentioned this because I will include that when I speak with the PT; wouldn't have even thought about the stiffness in the morning! It doesn't hurt when I stand on my toes barefoot....and I do calf raises regularly. I'll have to pay attention to the heels on my shoes, but I've been through about 3 pairs since I've been having the problem. And the orthotics are new, but the cushioning on the front is already smashed down....another thing I'll have to ask about. I've also read that doing too much too soon can cause it, but like I said, I'm down to a few slow miles. I told my PT if I go any lower, I'll be standing in one position doing nothing! Ha! So it DOES say that it'll ease up after you start running. What stinks is that I find as I try to increase the distance of my runs, it gets worse. It's either stay at very few miles and slow or more pain. Argggg I'll bet AT is what's going on with me. Thanks for your efforts Pam! I realllllly appreciate it! I'll update the next time I speak with the PT. Smile
                  I'll update the next time I speak with the PT. Smile
                  Well, turns out whether it's the ankle or the achilles, we're still going to do all the same stretches! Every time I go, we build on what I learned before, so not only are the moves becoming slightly more complex, but we do more of them too! The stretches work multiple muscles, and don't just focus on one little area. I apparently turn out with my left foot more, which doesn't allow the achilles to fully stretch out like it should. That, topped with the fact that my quads aren't as strong as I thought they were (found this out from doing all these lunges he taught me) is putting uneven / extra impact on my achilles. When my legs aren't doing their share of the work, then the achilles have to pick up the load. So I went out again last night after taking a couple days off. I did all the stretches he's shown me *before* I went running. I'd been doing them, but not *right* before running. They're dynamic stretches, so instead of just stretching the muscles one way, you're going all directions with them. I did still feel a teeny background ache when I was running, but I was able to run. Usually, I have to wait 4-6 days to go again. Tongue So, I'm going to start doing all stretches (in addition to my static ones...I don't care- they feel so good!) and focus on quad strength. Heck, the lunges alone should probably do it!...but I also am going to work with weights more. It's hard to squeeze a weight workout in for the legs if you're trying to run every other day though, because it forces you to do it on the day you run. Otherwise, my legs are too tired by the time running day gets here. Maybe after time, though, it won't be that way. Getting back into running shape after 18 years is a killer!
                    Great news, Joni!!! So happy that you are moving in the right direction!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group