Central Park run (Read 1557 times)

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

Ok .. the non-running wife and I are taking a 25th anniversary trip to NYC next week.  The small town midwestern folks in the big city.  Do the touristy stuff, see the Christmas lights, wander around .. you've got the picture. 

I'm not all that worried about missing miles while we're traveling, but was thinking that as long as we're there ... it might be fun to say I ran in Central Park.  

Worth bringing my stuff or ?     

thanks!

Tim 

Ojo

Of course you should run in Central Park!  Absolutely beautiful and great people watching!  Enjoy your trip!

Sara

MM #2929

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

You should definitely plan to run in Central Park. You can make it a short one, but don't miss it. Then go back and take a walk through with your wife (or she can stroll while you run) -- it's really a lovely place to visit.

Imminent Catastrophe

Definite yes! One of my favorite places to run and you will have plenty of company. FYI the water fountains are turned off for the winter so plan accordingly. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

You're asking a bunch of obsessed runners whether you should bring your running gear on a trip, so take it for what it's worth. But, yeah, definitely worth running in Central Park.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

I did it in the summer....didn't find a great route that was not crowded through the part so did loops around the perimeter.  It was "ok".  I'm sure it will be easier to find room in the winter, go for it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Central Park, to be sure.  But plenty of other great places to run in NYC, including the west side greenway that runs the entire length of Manhattan on the west side.  Also, try to run over the Brooklyn Bridge and back.  Good times!

Just came back from NYC last week. Had 2 great runs in the park. Another awesome run is to go over the Brooklyn bridge and back on the Manhattan bridge!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

bigkenny

Riverside Park along the Hudson River is my favorite. Of course you can always do both on the same run.

Truro Trails

Definitely enjoy a Central Park run!  Recommend an early morning run.  Avoid the horde.  Jog up to the Reservoir and go around it (1.57 mile loop) as many times as you want to take in the skylines before heading back down.

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

Thanks everybody!  Got 'em packed and looking forward to seeing the sites!

Tim 

You'll ruin your knees!

Thanks everybody!  Got 'em packed and looking forward to seeing the sites!

Just be prepared... you are coming from the midwest where a "good morning" or "hi" is often heard during your run... New Yorkers have a unique way of saying good morning.  Mainly, they don't say anything and don't look at you.  If they look at you it will not impress you as a friendly glance.  If they say good morning, it usually sounds like "Go fark yourself", but it all means "Welcome to New York, I hope you enjoy your time in our city!"

I may not have gotten the interpretation exactly right, but it's all good!  Enjoy your run in the park!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

bigkenny

You'll be lucky if you even see anyone without earbuds sticking out of their heads.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Don't know how I missed this and you've probably already left and returned, but I echo what everyone else is saying, yes, run in CP.

In fact, I'd recommend the loop around the reservoir.  This time of year it will not be packed and offers a killer view of CP South and all the great buildings there.   It does get dark early now though, so just keep that in mind. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                              Gatorade Endurance Team

jeffdonahue

Central Park, to be sure.  But plenty of other great places to run in NYC, including the west side greenway that runs the entire length of Manhattan on the west side.  Also, try to run over the Brooklyn Bridge and back.  Good times!

Have to agree with Trent on this one.  Central park is nice (and there are plenty of other runners out there even early in the morning), but I actually prefer the Greenway on the west side of Manhattan.  It is a really nice bike path through some nice parks, and past the USS Intrepid - pretty cool.  Though there are FAR less people there in the wee morning hours.  I was there last week and think I only passed 4 runners in the two hours I was out there.