New Balance 737, 826 replacement? (Read 4385 times)

Marquess of Utopia

I just found the New Balance 737 and looks like the replacement for the 826, but they have added one ounce in weight. And it is being sold for less than the 826. $80 MSRP. http://www.holabirdsports.com/cgi-bin/product?product=043343 I would stock up on the old model but holabird sports is selling the 737 for only $64.95.

Marquess of Utopia

I've since called two running stores, both stores seem to think that the 737 is not the replacement (the numbers don't match up). I hope they are right because I would like to see the 826 replacement with the same weight or lighter. An 827 with Actevaâ„¢ Ultra Lite? Big grin They look about the same...
        You had me worried there for a while. I love the 826s and was wondering here we go again hunting for a shoe that fits
          The 737 doesn't seem like an 826 replacement to me. It's MSRP is too much lower than the other model. It just seems like a lower end shoe, though I'm not sure what's different. By lower end, I don't mean that it's not as good, either, just that it doesn't have as many technical bells and whistles. It actually looks like a good cheaper neutral shoe to me. I've got 1062s, but goodness knows I don't want to pay that much for every pair of shoes from here on out.
          Brandon

Marquess of Utopia

Quote form another message board:
            Joseph, 737 is using the same sole unit as the 826 but is not a direct replacement. The difference is the 826 has a nicer upper and thus warrants a higher price point. The 737 is targeted for Sporting Goods placement and not Running Specialty. The 826 has a seamless upper which the 737 does not. The two are going to co-exist in the catalog. The future of the 820 series is still being tossed around. Europe made a 827 which was the 903 sole unit without a post. I have been testing that and it seems to be a really good idea to share sole units and take out posts. I have seen some early boards of 828's but nothing concrete. Will keep you posted.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Quote form another message board:
              The future of the 820 series is still being tossed around. Europe made a 827 which was the 903 sole unit without a post. I have been testing that and it seems to be a really good idea to share sole units and take out posts. I have seen some early boards of 828's but nothing concrete. Will keep you posted. Oh, I would be ALL over that! The 903 is my favorite shoe, but I also do some shorter runs in the 826. Saucony seems to be doing well making identical shoes--one with post (Guide), one without (Ride). Seems like it would make developing new models easier if they didn't have to come up with entirely unique models.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Interesting to see that Joe. Thanks for posting it. Smile
                Brandon