Timex Time & Distance GPS (Read 1011 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

I am thinking about getting a Timex Time & Distance GPS watch. Does anyone use this? How do you like it? Thanks!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

I have the Timex Time and Distance and the Garmin Forerunner 201. I like the simplicity of running with Forerunner because it is a single unit where as the Timex is a watch and has a receiver that I wear on my upper arm. The Timex picks up signal every where I run where as the forerunner loses signal in about half the places I run. I don't think you can go wrong with the Timex if all you want is the distance, time, and pace you are running.
      http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The forerunner 205/305 series do much much better keeping signal. Why a Timex rather than a Garmin?

IMKY13 finish!!

The forerunner 205/305 series do much much better keeping signal. Why a Timex rather than a Garmin?
          First off the Timex does use a Garmin GPS (it goes on your arm or waist. Second, I'm getting a really good deal on one.

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

The forerunner 205/305 series do much much better keeping signal.
            What did they do to get better signal retention? A friend that I run with sometimes has the 305 I believe (maybe it is the 301) and it loses signal pretty often where the run. Come to think of it, I believe it is the 301 she has.
            btb1490

What did they do to get better signal retention? A friend that I run with sometimes has the 305 I believe (maybe it is the 301) and it loses signal pretty often where the run. Come to think of it, I believe it is the 301 she has.
              Hi Alan. Make sure the Garmin has the latest firmware updates. That may help it.
                Hi Alan. Make sure the Garmin has the latest firmware updates. That may help it.
                Bob- You know me and computers. What are the firmware updates?
                btb1490

Bob- You know me and computers. What are the firmware updates?
                  Ha! Sorry, I should've known! Firmware is the software inside your Garmin that runs it. You have to go to the Garmin website and download and install their software that lets you update your Garmin. Then you hook up the Garmin to your computer and download and install the latest firmware for it. http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

IMKY13 finish!!

I have the Timex Time and Distance and the Garmin Forerunner 201. I like the simplicity of running with Forerunner because it is a single unit where as the Timex is a watch and has a receiver that I wear on my upper arm.
                    Alan, What do you do in the rain? Is the GPS receiver water tight, or does it still work if you put it in a water-tight pouch? Thanks

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

Alan, What do you do in the rain? Is the GPS receiver water tight, or does it still work if you put it in a water-tight pouch? Thanks
                      It is water tight- I have always just worn it in the rain. I have just recently had a problem rust on one of the battery connectors after I ran in the rain but it is because I dropped the receiver and cracked it so it not water tight any longer. The crack was on the bottom of the unit so I thought it would be ok but turns out it wasn't. I scraped the rust off enough to get a connection and it works fine again.

Basically... run!

the Timex is a watch and has a receiver that I wear on my upper arm.
                        Do you have to wear the receiver on your arm, or could you clip it on, for example, to you waistband or shoe?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My Forerunner 305 is watertight and sweat-proof and keeps its signal almost all the time. The upgrade from the 301/201 series included improvements both to the antenna and to the software on the unit.
                            Do you have to wear the receiver on your arm, or could you clip it on, for example, to you waistband or shoe?
                            There is a clip so you can wear it on your waist band but due the weight of the unit it bounces too much for me so it is always on teh arm for me.

Basically... run!

Ahh, okay. Thanks. I really want a Garmin, but I was looking at Timex because they have a mid-size model that is not actually bigger than my hand. Since I don't have the money to spend right now anyways, maybe if I wait long enough Garmin will figure out how to shrink itself somewhat...

My Forerunner 305 is watertight and sweat-proof and keeps its signal almost all the time. The upgrade from the 301/201 series included improvements both to the antenna and to the software on the unit.
                                Trent- Does your 305 keep signal running in wooded areas? Bob- How does the firmware give you better signal? Shouldn't that require a new antenna?