The hound who came home for Christmas - Happy 5th! (Read 555 times)

December 21, 2002 is the day a goofy greyhound said goodbye to the Animal Rescue League kennel and hello to the good life. In a life littered with choices I'd change, Chui is a shining example of a great call. He's been a perfect houseguest for five years. This pic is from Christmas 2002, as you can see it took him quite a while to get acclimated. Does this chair make my butt look big? I wish I had video of him getting onto the chair, the still pic just doesn't do the moment justice. With holiday visitors on hand, couch space was at a premium. Being a resourceful (and lazy) hound, Chui set his sights on the recliner. What he didn't know was that it is a ROCKER/recliner. He was quite surprised when it tried to throw him like a bucking bronco, but rode it like a champ and let out the BIGGEST groan of satisfaction when he had tamed the beast and settled for a holiday nap with his butt hanging over the edge. There have been very few days that my furry comedian hasn't given me at least one chuckle, he's saved me millions of dollars in therapy bills. Happy gotcha day bud, and many more to you!

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

t_runner

Awww, can't believe I missed this one, I always catch the dog threads. He is adorable! And the picture is hilarious. I burst into laughter when I see my dog contorted in these ridiculous positions on the couch, yet he is happily snoring away. Does he run with you?
        He is beautiful ... and hilarious!!! My husband and I have researched greys (contacted rescue groups, bought a couple books, etc.). We're waiting until we have a little more time and space, but can't wait! Chui certainly lives the good life Smile
        2009: BQ?
          How sweet! Furry friends are the best. Smile Thanks for sharing.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Furbabies are worth their weight in gold...priceless family members. Your sweet boy was lucky to find people to love him as you do. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Your sweet boy was lucky to find people to love him as you do. Smile
              Chui might say otherwise. It's a good thing I let his nails get a little long, after this walk I heard him dialing the phone in his room. I grabbed it out of his paws just as the woman at the SPCA abuse hotline answered. Needless to say, I hung up quickly. He had dialed the toll-free number to drop a dime on me, just because I made him wear antlers.
              Does he run with you?
              Nah, he takes his retirement VERY seriously at 8 years old. Even when he was younger, he would FLY for a miinute or two (at about 40 mph) then just flop on the grass. Greyhounds that are working for a living at the track cover the course in a little over thirty seconds, they are sprinters. The distance runners of the sighthound family are the Salukis, they'll chase a hare for miles across the desert.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

axel32

link spam
                JMac11

RIP Milkman

Although this thread was resurrected for spam reasons, it would be cool to hear from other members here about their dogs, especially dogs that run with them! We had a couple over in the Sub 3:00 / Sub 1:30 threads. I know DPS has a Vizsla who can run 8+ miles with him. My dog can be off leash for hours on end, running through the woods, but absolutely hates running on a leash with me.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm working hard to train this little sweetie to run with me.  He's in his second series of dog obedience classes.  I love Australian shepherds.  Smile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That's awesome! Is he a full grown shepherd or mini? We have a lot of the mini ones here in NYC, but I love the look of the full-sized dogs: absolutely stunning.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dhuffman63

Trails

I have 5 dogs, all either shelter or dropped off...one pure Aussie, one pure Anatolian, a mix pit/corgi, a mix beagle/American Eskimo, and a "I have no clue mix".  None run with me however we have 40 acres for them to roam and run as they wish.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's awesome! Is he a full grown shepherd or mini? We have a lot of the mini ones here in NYC, but I love the look of the full-sized dogs: absolutely stunning.

He will be a full-sized Aussie.  That photo was at the beginning of November.  He's five months old now.  We also have a 3-year-old tri color Aussie.

zebano

Piper

This sweet girl is Piper (she's a rescue and we're not really sure what she is other than part lab, part Border Collie). She absolutely adores being off leash, chasing a ball, sniffing everything and playing with family. She's is terrified by her harness. Once we get that one and out the door she perks up and has a good time but while she can run 8-10  miles in cool weather her sweet spot is really 1-4 miles. Every once in  awhile all my (3) boys will be up for a run which I personally love but she is a momma-dog both wants to be at the front and needs to herd anyone who falls behind (yes, I failed to properly leash train her). When my "easy pace" starts creeping below 8 min/mile it's usually her fault 😊

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I am not a dog person, but I am loving these posts.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

HermosaBoy

This is my running buddy Quenton Cassidy:

May be an image of dog and grass

He loves to go, go, go...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob