Heart Rate Advice (Read 169 times)

LaGallinaCabrona

Looking for some advice regarding my high heart rate. I’ve been running for three years, I’m 35, 120lbs, 5’5” female. I just went on a run with my boyfriend and he noticed for the first time how high my heart rate was (200bpm) we looked at my runs over the last year since I’ve had a heart rate monitor and found that it was pretty common on short runs ( under 6 miles) my bpm is on average 190 and on long runs it’s closer to 170. I don’t feel lightheaded or bad at 200bpm, so I don’t know if I should slow down or if it’s just that I have a higher threshold?? Any advice? Thank you!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Have you confirmed the high reading by taking your heart rate manually?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Also how are you measuring that heart rate? Do you have a chest strap or are you using a wrist-based monitor?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

LaGallinaCabrona

Thanks for your questions, I have an apple watch which is a wrist band heart monitor I guess.

LaGallinaCabrona

Also how are you measuring that heart rate? Do you have a chest strap or are you using a wrist-based monitor?

I'm using an Apple Watch

LaGallinaCabrona

I haven't ever tried this, I could look up how to do it and see if I can try it while running?

Have you confirmed the high reading by taking your heart rate manually?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm using an Apple Watch

Apple watches are notoriously inaccurate.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zebano

Honestly this sounds like cadence lock. Especially if you run faster on shorter runs.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

LaGallinaCabrona

Is that a setting on my watch?  I do tend to run faster on shorter runs because I do them on the track. Long runs I do on a hilly road.

Honestly this sounds like cadence lock. Especially if you run faster on shorter runs.

LaGallinaCabrona

I have noticed that they are inaccurate and inconsistent for open water swims,  but I haven't noticed  inconsistency in the heart rate, but of course its possible its consistently off lol

Apple watches are notoriously inaccurate.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I haven't ever tried this, I could look up how to do it and see if I can try it while running?

Use 2 fingers on your wrist. Hopefully you can use the timer on your watch. I wouldn't worry about being exact, just see if you are really as high as the watch indicates.

Cadence lock is when your watch uses you footsteps as heart rate.

LaGallinaCabrona

This is very useful information, I will try it! Thank you!

Use 2 fingers on your wrist. Hopefully you can use the timer on your watch. I wouldn't worry about being exact, just see if you are really as high as the watch indicates.

Cadence lock is when your watch uses you footsteps as heart rate.

LaGallinaCabrona

Just confirmed it's not on a cadence lock... bummer, thought this might be it!

CalBears

Just confirmed it's not on a cadence lock... bummer, thought this might be it!

Another way to check is to borrow a Garmin watch with HR option or chest HRM and see how it plays out. I/We all know there are people with extremely high Max HR, but what is strange/suspicious, even if your Max HR is 220-230, that would mean you are runnning all your short runs at something like 87-90% of Max HR which is really not a good thing to do. Is that your natural effort or you just trying to keep up with your male compatriots?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

LaGallinaCabrona

Another way to check is to borrow a Garmin watch with HR option or chest HRM and see how it plays out. I/We all know there are people with extremely high Max HR, but what is strange/suspicious, even if your Max HR is 220-230, that would mean you are runnning all your short runs at something like 87-90% of Max HR which is really not a good thing to do. Is that your natural effort or you just trying to keep up with your male compatriots?

Yes good idea! I run alone, except during races, that was actually the first time I've ran with my anyone. And yes it's my natural effort, I hate doing intervals haha so I rarely go super hard. I think I might try another device. Truth is I'm not exactly a normal person anyways, like the healthiest sick person you've ever met, I have a lot of neurological issue like epilepsy and hemiparesis but I don't take any medications. I do have the type of scoliosis that puts pressure on my heart .... Maybe that has something to do with it? Who knows. But I'm hoping it's benign.  Thanks for your advice!