2018 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 554 times)

Anonymous Guest

Probably. I always said I was not going to repeat Boston - my first one was such an amazing experience I felt like going back would be a letdown. It's now been 3.5 years and I really really really want to go again. I have until Friday to decide since I've only got a BQ-7something this year (my spring marathon was short so I can't use it, luckily I ran a halfway decent marathon last November).

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

xhristopher

Hi. I'm gonna register Wednesday. It should be my 8th Boston and 20th marathon. How many is enough?

joescott

How many is enough?  At least 9 Bostons and 21 marathons.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

jmsab23

Ran my first marathon last October, qualified (mainly due to high age group - 60) by 17 minutes. 2018 will be my first Boston, and will be running with some friends. Another guy I know will be running his 25th consecutive Boston. There aren't a whole lot of people who have done that. 25 yrs. without missing one. And he is 62.

"No man can ever know all he needs until he first knows himself."---- James Steele

PRs:

5K - 20:39.   4-mile - 28:15.    5-mile - 35:36.     10k - 44:51.   HM - 1:38:23.  FM: 3:36:25

npaden

I officially registered this morning!

It is still a long way away but I went ahead and updated my training plan in my training log as well.  Just maintenance type stuff for the next several months and then doing the 16 week Hanson Plan with a few slight modifications for some races and things like that.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Julia1971

Probably. I always said I was not going to repeat Boston - my first one was such an amazing experience I felt like going back would be a letdown. It's now been 3.5 years and I really really really want to go again. I have until Friday to decide since I've only got a BQ-7something this year (my spring marathon was short so I can't use it, luckily I ran a halfway decent marathon last November).

I'll hold off on adding you for now.  Let me know what you decide! ...  I actually enjoyed my last two Bostons more than my first.  (Understandably since my first was 80 degrees.  )  I think I'm appreciating them a lot more.  Maybe because I've stopped chasing PRs there and am just enjoying the experience.

xhristopher

Thanks for running the thread. One slight correction to the list on the front page. I'm only on #8, not #9.

bhearn

Thanks for running the thread. One slight correction to the list on the front page. I'm only on #8, not #9.

And, this will be my 12th, not 14th. 14th year of registering, but I didn't start the past two years.

joescott

And, this will be my 12th, not 14th. 14th year of registering, but I didn't start the past two years.

And.... while you're at it.  :-)   This will be my 7th.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

xhristopher

Sometimes it boggles my mind that you out-of-towners have done so many. The only way I've run any number of these is because I live about 9 miles from the finish line. If I had to fly in I'd probably have done no more than 2.

Anonymous Guest

I'll hold off on adding you for now.  Let me know what you decide! ...  I actually enjoyed my last two Bostons more than my first.  (Understandably since my first was 80 degrees.  )  I think I'm appreciating them a lot more.  Maybe because I've stopped chasing PRs there and am just enjoying the experience.

And I'm in.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

npaden

And.... while you're at it.  :-)   This will be my 7th.

Yeah, Joe and I were the only ones in the table originally and it looks like we got bumped on our Boston numbers.

This will be my first.

I don't expect to run another until possibly in 2025 when it will be on my birthday.  I think that would be pretty neat.  It was on my birthday in 2014, but I wasn't fast enough to qualify then.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

npaden

And thanks for running the thread again Julia1971!  

bhearn

Sometimes it boggles my mind that you out-of-towners have done so many. The only way I've run any number of these is because I live about 9 miles from the finish line. If I had to fly in I'd probably have done no more than 2.

Well once you have a streak going it's hard to stop (though I eventually did). Plus I get to see lots of friends, and visit people at MIT. What makes it hard is that I just don't really care about marathons anymore. Too much like sprinting!

not lazy, just tired

Registered this morning, now I guess I have to wait for the acceptance email. It will be my first, an probably my only, Boston.

Not if it makes sense.