I need a reality check (Read 229 times)

MoBramExam

1) He skipped a long run and did cross fit.

2) You got "dumped on" for not doing a MP interval at a pace that is 0:15 seconds slower than your recent 5K PR and faster than your recent 10K PR.

Think HE is the one that needs a reality check.

Hey Thanks everybody. I love RA and not just because the replies support my methods.

xhristopher

An interval :15 over 5K PR pace isn't MP. Sounds more likely on the fast side of tempo.

I'd sooner dump a MP workout than a long run. I think speed in the marathon is useless without the endurance to back it up.

BeeRunB

Hey Thanks everybody. I love RA and not just because the replies support my methods.

We love you, too. Although, we must be honest and say that it's partially because your methods validate our replies.

Take the love where you can find it, for whatever reasons.

Cool

I don't believe in junk miles. All miles are good, provided you're getting at least some degree of recovery.  In fact, I don't even think I know what a quality mile vs a poor-quality mile is.   Just run.

A "poor quality" mile is the one you didn't run because you couldn't get your lazy ass out of bed in the morning. Big grin

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Yeah, I don't think you're doing too many miles, but you definitely shouldn't be so fatigued that you can't hit your paces when it comes to a quality day. BTW what is your goal for the marathon? You say that you and "old guy" should be running similar times, but we're all unique individuals - maybe his interval pace isn't your interval pace?

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Feeling the growl again

A "poor quality" mile is the one you didn't run because you couldn't get your lazy ass out of bed in the morning. Big grin

I run a ton of poor quality miles then....  Black eye

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm going to assume you're planning on running more marathons after this one, so I think you need recognize that the high mileage isn't just going to help you for this one, but for all the other marathons < and shorter races as well > down the line.

I run a ton of poor quality miles then....  Black eye

You???

To clarify, I used the term "old guy" facetiously. I am an old guy too.  He (Pete) is my friend. My marathon goal is 3:20. His is about the same except that his BQ is 3:30 mine is 3:25.

again, thanks for the responses. A ton of knowledge and experience on here.