Nice URLs for user pages? (Read 589 times)

xor

I'm not sure if you're agreeing  or not... the url is the thing (most) browsers display down at the bottom when you mouse over something rendered as a link. You can get any text you like to be rendered as the clickable thing - but that makes no difference to what the url is. If you feel like it you can be actively misleading - there's no necessary relationship between the url and the text. Using text that looks like a url to render a different url is kind of confusing!

Two things:

1. Inconceivable

2. Specific to your last sentence, not always.  I would muchx1000000000 prefer people to change the link to describe what's in the damn youtube link rather than just posting a cryptic youtube link.

The "joke" that Trent used is actually quite valuable to some of us.

...even if it isn't the feature request.  Which is something I get and would be cool, but comes with a wee bit of operational overhead (see Milk's post).

Two things:

1. Inconceivable

2. Specific to your last sentence, not always.  I would muchx1000000000 prefer people to change the link to describe what's in the damn youtube link rather than just posting a cryptic youtube link.

The "joke" that Trent used is actually quite valuable to some of us.

...even if it isn't the feature request.  Which is something I get and would be cool, but comes with a wee bit of operational overhead (see Milk's post).

I'm not sure what you're referring to by 1.

I agree with 2 - but that's not an example of what I said. Some descriptive text is useful, but a different url is confusing - no need to make the descriptive text look like a url - you can simply do my running log or some such.

I'm not disputing that the ability to add descriptive text to url is useful - we do it all the time. I was just clarifying that it wasn't what was requested (which also has some utility).