New Runner Need Help (Read 1021 times)

raindaiz

Hi fellow runners Smile, I am new to this running board and new to running in general. I tried started at the beginning of summer, but got off to a rocky start becase excessive partying Wink. I am now running twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening, and so far things have been going good. I have been switching off between running on the treadmill at the gym and running in a park, but recently umm my left knee specifially has been hurting, and what can I do to prevent it and is it okay for me to keep running on it Cry . Anything i should take or wear??? Thanks for the help Cool - Raindaiz
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Good morning, Raindaiz! Welcome to RunningAHEAD! If you're new to running, running twice a day, and having knee pain, chances are really good you're just plain ol' overdoing it. It takes some time for your joints, connective tissues, and other stuff to get used to the pounding of running. Many people start off with a run/walk program which gradually works you up from walking for 30 minutes to running for 30 minutes. This seems to work for a lot of people. Another thing you may want to look at is your shoes. Unfortunately, old shoes are a major culprit when it comes to injuries. If you haven't already, you may want to bop on over to your local running store and see about letting them fit you with some running shoes. That's about all I can tell you without knowing anything more like what you were doing before you started running, and how much you're running now, etc. Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

Welcome Raindaiz! Glad you are running with us! Don't ignore pain, it is your body tring to tell you something! Like Janell said, it might be your shoes, it might be overdoing it, it could be lots of things. Just don't ignore it. Slow down & start your training program over. Do you have a particular program you are trying to follow? Twice a day is probably a bit much unless you were very physically fit prior to starting your running training. Start with walking for a couple of weeks before you start running, if you weren't really fit. Maybe try some cross training if you feel like you need more of a workout. Maybe some weights at the gym for strength training? Are you eating & hydrating right for the distance you are running? Pick up a book on running that gives you a training schedule you can follow. Spend some time reading through the forums here. Many of us are somewhat new at this & you can learn alot from all of the mistakes we have made. Even some of the experienced runners make mistakes & are more than happy to tell us about it so that we all learn. Good luck & stick with us. There are alot of good runners here that can offer really good advice to help you on your way. Eryn
        So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
        Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Janell's right. She's always right. I would chalk your knee pains up to over use. How many miles a day are you running right now? When did you start running? How many miles a week are you running? How did you choose your shoes? What kind of surface do you run on (road, cement, trails, etc)? One thing that's for sure is if running is causing you pain, then it's not ok to keep running as you were because that will lead to more injuries. If you must run, scale back a little and hope your body can heal itself. The long term solution is to identify the problem.
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Janell's right. She's always right.
            LOL! You're a great guy to have around, Mile Collector! Any time I need my ego stroked I'll look you up!
            One thing that's for sure is if running is causing you pain, then it's not ok to keep running as you were because that will lead to more injuries. If you must run, scale back a little and hope your body can heal itself. The long term solution is to identify the problem.
            Mile Collector's right. Chances are pretty good if you keep on doing what you're doing the problem'll get worse. You've got to 1) heal, and 2) find out what the problem was and fix it. Sorry - I don't know any other way.

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi there, and welcome! I cannot recommend this plan enough: Couch-to-5k Running Plan I'm up to a slow 6-7 miles in a long run thanks to that--and no injuries (other than some relatively minor aches-and-pains from time to time). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Being a complete beginner like yourself, I agree with the others, it sounds like you're overdoing it. Listen to your body, and slow it down. Smile
                -Kris

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." --Albert Einstein
                  raindaiz, Your problem is you started out on a 2 run per day program. I only know of elite, experienced runners who run twice daily in order to jack up weekly mileage in order to develop a good base for a marathon. The tissues NEED the rest in between runs. It is also a good idea to put a rest day into your program each week or 10 days or so. I've been running a lot of years, and the one bit of advice that is common with nearly all running programs is the need to build rest into your training.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Hey Running Girl, Just poking around tonight on this thread to see if raindaiz responded and then I checked out your blog and comments. (Wise advice you gave there to "listen to your body and slow down.) So how is your running going??? Sticking with it???? At least the summer heat in MA shouldn't be quite as bad as Texas is. Anyway, just felt like checking to see how it's going. I love to hear of new people to the sport. John Smile

Teki

Hi I am new to running and to this website. I am thrilled Big grin to find other runners who are also diabetic. I hope to meet you all! Take care, Teki Big grin
                        Teki, Welcome! And thanks for joining our diabetic runners user group. Don't be afraid to chime in whenever you want to. John

Soooooooooooo. How are the beginning runners doing???? raindaiz running girl teki Haven't heard from you in a while!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yes...yes...have we assimilated you all, yet? Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay