Stiff Ankle-y thing (Read 117 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I have this annoyingly stiff ankle thing going on.  It hurts a little, pretty low on the spectrum of pain, it's more of a dull ache.

Location:  top of foot where foot connects to ankle.  Not the side of the ankle but the top.  Might be a tendon, but it's seems to be the Talus bone on this image : http://drugline.org/img/term/bones-of-the-leg-ankle-and-foot-2077_0.gif.

It's achy when I'm sitting and my foot is on the ground.  If I lift my foot off the ground and relax the ankle, it seems fine.

It's stiff when I start running but eventually it doesn't bother me (just did 8 miles and it felt fine).  It seems to be more sore at night or early in the morning.  Thoughts?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Mr MattM

Shoe lacing?

be curious; not judgmental

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Had this when I was trying out minimalist trainers.  Solution for me was ease back on the runs (effort) and stop using that footware).  Law of small numbers: YMMV.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I had that and ended up going to a chiropractor that i use for graston - he just adjusted it and now i can crack it and its mobilized again.  the other thing you can do is just try to stretch out the top of your foot until it pops back into the place (probably the cuboid bone, at least it was for me).

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I had that and ended up going to a chiropractor that i use for graston - he just adjusted it and now i can crack it and its mobilized again.  the other thing you can do is just try to stretch out the top of your foot until it pops back into the place (probably the cuboid bone, at least it was for me).

I've been doing higher mileage and my feet and ankles have been feeling sorta "stuck" in the same position, and just tired and achy. I also went to my chiropractor and he mobilized my feet and ankles and I feel 100 times better! I hadn't even known a chiropractor does that kind of thing, but it really helped me. I had also had ball of foot pain, and it hurt to un-flex my feet after wearing high heels. After mobilization at the chiropractor, the pain is totally gone.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

All these years of running.  Never had stiff ankles. But I changed to the Brooks Pure Flows and my right ankle is stiff now.  Just like yours, but different. Mine's more on the sides.  I feel it the most in the morning.  I can stretch it out and it pretty much goes away.

I'm trying to ice it after runs, but I'm not consistent, so my results suck.