Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

The thought of a Sub3 at 60 is alien to a lot of the younger folk…but for us who took up running at a later stage in life and won Moose Mugs at 50+yo then it’s doable if you still have the desire and don’t have any injury issues! 

All I can say is I'm glad this isn't a drinking game 

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

All I can say is I'm glad this isn't a drinking game 

Btw, I hope you weren’t too upset at my cricket post yesterday as it was genuinely meant as a joke!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Haha, no not offended.  You've posted it a few times (not as often as an MM reference though ).  Note:  This doesn't mean I'm over the injustice of that match

2024 Races:

Mikkey I look at those equivalent times and don't think I would have run them if I was a runner back then but who knows, it makes me feel good anyway 

The problem with fighting it only takes one punch to kill someone....

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ha-ha... Did you have any doubts I would be much faster marathoner than JMac at his age? Oh... And I didn't have any major injuries Smile even though I played european football every Saturday for regional championship for several years and trained at least 3 days a week in addition to the competition games.

I got my MRI results back and my ankle/foot is a total mess (plantar fasciitis, insertional Achilles tendinopathy, posterior tib tendinopathy at a moderate level all showed up in the imaging). I really don't know if I have the mental capacity at this point after 6 weeks off with all of this stuff still showing up on an MRI to get back at it, but then I see this stuff and I remember why I love the Competitive Jerks thread.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I got my MRI results back and my ankle/foot is a total mess (plantar fasciitis, insertional Achilles tendinopathy, posterior tib tendinopathy at a moderate level all showed up in the imaging). I really don't know if I have the mental capacity at this point after 6 weeks off with all of this stuff still showing up on an MRI to get back at it, but then I see this stuff and I remember why I love the Competitive Jerks thread.

I’ve dealt with the exact same as you and it sucks.

Are you going to give up running?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Oh you do. It has just been on the couch watching TV and enjoying the long break. I was actually just talking about you to CommanderKeen today.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Just hopping back in here to share some important information: there have been 33 Australia-born players appearing in American major league baseball games. A handful have stuck around for 10+ seasons, although none are really household names to anyone other than hardcore fans. The closest is probably White Sox reliever Liam Hendriks, from Perth, who's made it to 3 all-star games. Number of New Zealanders appearing in MLB games. over its 150 year history: zero.

When I went out for a 90-min run yesterday, I came home to a grumpy, sick wife who said "I'm not going to be too critical but I don't see how you can prioritize going on a long run when the kitchen is a total mess". I told her that my only priority while she is this sick is to make sure the house doesn't burn down and one of the kids doesn't lose a limb, everything else will be a bonus.

I am reminded of this:

When I am healthy, it is a high priority for me to run every day. I run early morning, (1) to make sure it gets done, and (2) there aren't many people or things competing for your time from 5-7 AM. When I say #2 to some people, they say "that's because you don't have young kids." Fair enough - that makes a big difference, I can see how that could create conflict. I didn't really start running till my kids were older. But my wife (a non-runner who mostly sort of tolerates my nonsense) has come to expect the everyday run. Even on vacation she knows I'm going to try to get one in; I usually wake up and get it done before anyone else is ready to do anything. Bonus for DW is that I'll often bring back coffee so she doesn't even have to get out of bed.

Speaking of such things: my apologies for being a poor thread participant when I'm not running. My latest back pain flareup has been a sonofabitch. It's sort of improving, but at an oh-so-glacial pace. I ran 5 miles today after taking the last 6 days off, and it was...OK. Not really painful, but still pretty stiff the whole way - I always think/hope it's going to loosen up, but it didn't. I guess I'll try to keep at it and see how things go.

Dave

Dave I totally agree. I run between 5 and 7am and love it. It warms me up for the day. Sorry to hear about your back. I stretch mine pretty much daily to keep it mobile. Surfing really locks up your lower back. I bought a back decompression device which is basically a hump you lie over.

Jmac damn that sucks buddy. Hope you get through this. If Mikkey came out the other side then it can be done so stay positive.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Jmac - Absolutely gutted to read this.  Good luck with whatever approach you decide to take from here.  This board is definitely poorer for not having you running and posting regularly.  I don't really know what to say - when I'm injured, although never to this extreme, I try to remind myself of all the other good things in life but it usually doesn't work.  Keep us updated whatever happens.  It's great that we have a Moose Mug winner here who has been through this and will definitely have insights.

Dave - Gutted for you too, but good to hear there's some possible light at the end of the tunnel.

I enjoy holidays far more if I get a run in, and usually sacrifice sleep to get it done before the day starts.  I take my partner a coffee in bed most mornings, and definitely on holiday before or after a run.  It's on holiday where I really appreciate her tolerance in waiting for me to get a run done.  I also choose hotels based on running options nearby.

2024 Races:

Fishyone

Damn JMac- that absolutely sucks.  Is the only way to fix it to rest completely?

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Marky_Mark_17

Btw, I hope you weren’t too upset at my cricket post yesterday as it was genuinely meant as a joke!

You reeeeeallllly need some new jokes.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac - Absolutely gutted to read this.  Good luck with whatever approach you decide to take from here.  This board is definitely poorer for not having you running and posting regularly.  I don't really know what to say - when I'm injured, although never to this extreme, I try to remind myself of all the other good things in life but it usually doesn't work.  Keep us updated whatever happens.  It's great that we have a Moose Mug winner here who has been through this and will definitely have insights.

Thanks folks. I don't know what the solution is - I can go down the Shockwave path, which I think will help. But having taken 6 weeks off, done PT for 5 months, and still at this point, absolutely fucking blows. Its a bit daunting trying to deal with what seems like a complex problem and try to get back in shape for CIM. The other complicating factor is having two young kids, which has been much more complex than just 1 for running given how much I hate waking up at 5 am to go run. I don't know if I appreciated that before.

I haven't decided on CIM just yet. Need some more time to process. No doubt I could work through this and find my way back to a 2:4X. But I don't know if that motivates me enough. I am in a bit of a PR or bust feeling and that's just not there.

I don't think I'm done running forever. But I may be in that camp of some of the older guys here who've had kids where they take a break at this point and come back later when the kids are a bit older.

I respect all of you guys here a lot and honestly this forum is probably the biggest thing that's making me think of putting my head down and trying to get through this.

Whats probably the most frustrating thing about this injury is it feels like I was training the least intense out of all of my recent cycles (didn't go past 60 mpw and wasn't doing insane JD workouts). Maybe the lesson is I shouldn't have let up!

I'm still lurking and very impressed with what's been going on. I'm glad to see Cal and Mikkey back more consistently and some folks like Keen and Fishy continuing to kill it. Darkwave also is probably the most inspirational given what she's gone through.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Also if you want a fun medical read, here's the full MRI report. Note this is after that 5 to 6 weeks off, so I can't imagine what it looked like back at the start of this -

Negative for acute osseous abnormality. There is moderate distal posterior tibial tendinosis. There is a tendon sheath effusion. There is diffuse inhomogeneity and hyperintensity of the distal tendon fibers. There is a small os tibiale externum. Remainder of the long medial flexor tendons are intact. Peroneal tendons and extensor tendons are intact.

The anteroinferior and posteroinferior tibiofibular ligaments are intact. There is mild bony remodeling at the fibular insertion of the anteroinferior tibiofibular ligament. There is chronic high-grade partial tearing of the fibular insertion of the anterior talofibular ligament (see series 4 image 24). Calcaneofibular and posterior talofibular ligaments are intact. There is chronic low-grade interstitial tearing of the deep fibers of the deltoid.

There is mild surface fibrillation and thinning of articular cartilage in the ankle without exposed bone. Achilles tendon is intact. There is mild thickening of the distal Achilles tendon slips with linear intrasubstance hyperintensity and hyperintensity in the deep retrocalcaneal bursa. There is moderate thickening of the plantar fascia with hyperintensity of the proximal fibers with low-grade partial tearing of the medial band (see series 2 image 7).

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I'm still lurking and very impressed with what's been going on. I'm glad to see Cal and Mikkey back more consistently and some folks like Keen and Fishy continuing to kill it. Darkwave also is probably the most inspirational given what she's gone through.

Thanks!  I’m taking my race with Cal seriously, but I’ll be gutted if you can’t make it to CIM.