Post-Marathon Hibernation? (Read 1077 times)

CherryDG

Hi all, I just ran my first marathon last Sunday. Ever since then, I'm finding that I'm sleeping much longer than usual. Prior to the race, I was sleeping between 6-7 hours a night. After the marathon I'm sleeping 10+ hours and still feeling like I could sleep longer. Is this normal? I can't tell if my body is just that exhausted from the race, or if I'm fighting something else off. I feel like a sloth since I haven't exercised at all this week, but even though I set my alarm to go to the gym, I fall back into a deep sleep after I turn it off. I'm curious as to whether this has happened to anyone else (or if I'm subconsciously making excuses for not working out).

Hi all, I just ran my first marathon last Sunday. Ever since then, I'm finding that I'm sleeping much longer than usual. Prior to the race, I was sleeping between 6-7 hours a night. After the marathon I'm sleeping 10+ hours and still feeling like I could sleep longer. Is this normal? I can't tell if my body is just that exhausted from the race, or if I'm fighting something else off. I feel like a sloth since I haven't exercised at all this week, but even though I set my alarm to go to the gym, I fall back into a deep sleep after I turn it off. I'm curious as to whether this has happened to anyone else (or if I'm subconsciously making excuses for not working out).
      Generally, I'd say that it's normal, although 10+ for this long might be a little too much sleep. Too much sleep is just as bad as not enough. As for excuses to not work out, you just ran a marathon. You are entitled to a week or more off if you want, although you might not want to take it completely off. I ran a marathon on Sunday (my 11th). I raked leaves on Monday for a few hours, and was in the pool for 30 minutes yesterday (Thursday). I plan on raking leaves again tonight and heading to the weight room next week to start a new program. You might want to try to find some cross training that you can do that might help get you back to your normal sleeping patterns. Generally, I get up at the same time every day no matter what. My body knows enough to make me tired and tell me to go to bed early the night before when I need more sleep. You have to be willing to listen to it and actually go to bed at 8:00 if you are tired, but it works well for me.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Enjoy being a sloth!! Recovering from a marathon is different for each person.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Go Pre!

I agree with the 2 previous posts, but, I also wanted a turn at quoting Big grin

I agree with the 2 previous posts, but, I also wanted a turn at quoting Big grin
            Well, I quoted first! Smile

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Well, I quoted first! Smile
              He who quotes last, laughs best. Big grin

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Hi all, I just ran my first marathon last Sunday. Ever since then, I'm finding that I'm sleeping much longer than usual. Prior to the race, I was sleeping between 6-7 hours a night. After the marathon I'm sleeping 10+ hours and still feeling like I could sleep longer.
                I read a great article once written by Joe Weider's wife. In a nutshell, it explained how your body makes energy based on how much you need. IOW, if you aren't using energy, your body doesn't make any. Think of this: often times you get up early, go to work, have a busy day, come home and run 5 miles, and still watch the late show. Come Sunday, you sleep in, go to church and sleep, go to dinner, take a nap, and try to wake up to go to church in the evening. See a pattern here? Anyway, throughout your marathon training, you've needed lots of energy so your body has responded. Now, the need dratically decreased so your energy level also decreased. Another factor is probably diet related. If you're still consuming all the calories you did during training, that's too much. It takes energy to process food and if you aren't burning off all those calories, it'll wear you out digesting them.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Everyone recovers differently --- but I'd think more about it if it lasts for a long time !
                  2009: BQ?
                  CherryDG

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I made myself get up this morning at my "usual time" so that I could get to the gym and also run. As much as I enjoyed staying under the covers, it was nice to be reminded how much better I felt after a run.
                      Thanks for the feedback everyone! I made myself get up this morning at my "usual time" so that I could get to the gym and also run. As much as I enjoyed staying under the covers, it was nice to be reminded how much better I felt after a run.
                      Do you have a goal for the future? Another race, mileage goal, weight loss goal? Having a reason to run is important. We often lose our MOJO when we aren't running for a purpose. The purpose can be as simple as maintaining fitness until I decide where to race next. It's all in the mind.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

CherryDG

Funny you should ask! I just signed up for the National Marathon (3/29/08) the other night. After the marathon I was feeling a little lost as to what to do with myself. I agree that having a goal definitely makes the training more worthwhile. My goal with the MCM was just to finish. Although I know I'd like to improve my 4:22 time, I haven't pinpointed what a realistic goal would be quite yet. All I know is that it'll be nice to be back on some kind of training schedule where I'm forced to make myself accountable.