I'm BACK baby! (Read 446 times)

servingthealiens

After being off running for almost a year due to health problems (non-running related), I recently started up again.

I was worried about injuries because I felt a few coming on after only an 11 mile week, I had no endurance, and I was all around a bit depressed.  I know that building [back] fitness takes listening to your body, watching your pace, not overdoing it, eating right, and a lot of other things, but mostly it just takes TIME, and doing too much too fast as a newbie was at least 75% of why I suffered so many injuries when I first started running, so I've been vigilant this time to not go off... well... at a running start this time.  Joking

But tonight, I just finished 4.4 miles on the treadmill.  It was slow going (for me, anyway), about 11:20 pace, but I felt GREAT and felt like I could have gone further.  Much further.  I didn't because the fitness room at my apartment closes at 10:00, and mostly, I didn't want to do too much too fast, but I felt like I could have knocked out at least 5 miles and still been more than OK. 

There's a 5 mile race in my hometown I always used to run that's held every March, and I think I just might be able to do it again this year.  I won't be fast, but I know I'll be able to do it again, barring anything unforseen.  What a great feeling that will be, to cross a finish line to the smiles, hugs, and pats on the back of other runners and most of all, my friends.

There's also a half marathon held there every September.  I'm thinking.... maybe?  It would be my first ever. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Excellent. Avoiding injury and having fun are great accomplishments, and I'd speculate they might be the most important keys to long-term success.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

servingthealiens

Thanks.

I like your name.  That was a great movie.  Cool

keeponrunning

Great job!  Welcome back!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022