Snow running (Read 149 times)

Gator eye

If it's really cold out a little duct tape over the toes does wonders.

Princess Cancer Pants

My experience has been that gore tex shoes do a better job of keeping water in than out. 

I should mention that my opinions apply to my area, so up to about 3 feet of snow and about 10 below 0F temp-wise.

This has been my experience, too.  I've found that a good pair of medium-weight merino wool socks keep my feet warm, even if they get wet.  And I'm a fan of YakTrax for everything but glare ice.  If it's black ice conditions I hit the dreadmill or nowhere bike.

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

Oh roo roooo!

+1 to Zoom-zoom on the socks.  If I have decent wooly socks on, it doesn't matter too much what the shoes are like, with one very annoying exception:  I notice that a lot of lighter-weight, "minimal" shoes have cutouts in the soles for weight savings/flexibility/whatever.  This is mildly bothersome in warm weather, when these holes eventually pick up pieces of gravel and make a clicking sound as you run until eventually it's aggravating enough that you stop, take off your shoes and dig the little rocks out w/a roadside stick.

In the winter, however, when running slushy icy roads, those holes serve to shoot pressurized ice-cold water up into your shoes from the bottom!  This is a startling and really really unpleasant sensation.  Wool socks won't handle this, at least not for me.  Thus I have dedicated cold-weather shoes w/none of those little cutouts in the soles....