shoe inserts (Read 1198 times)

Maggie & Molly

went to the expo today and while there checked out two different shoe insert folks.  I don't wear inserts now but I wanted to see what they had to say.  The first did her thing visually and commented that my left foot needed an insert because the ankle/knee really turned.   She said that my right foot seemed fine.  What she didn't know was that I have consistently suffered from piriformis issues and achilles tendon discomfort in my left left for about the last 6 months.  Next stop was a more tech evaluation.  They had me stand with my foot inbetween two polls.  I then had to bend my knees.  The right ankle rolled out a bit toward the bar, the left totally touched it.  They put inserts and the roll stopped.  They said both shoes needed insert although the right wasn't 'that bad'.  Now I'm curious.  I run in neutral shoes because when I run in stability = to help the left teg I end up in pain because, I'm guessing, it causes my right leg further over than it should.  Anyway, any thoughts on inserts?  thanks. 

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
    Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I <3 my Superfeet.  They were the only thing that made my right knee issues go away a few years back.  Well, moderate stability shoes helped, too, but those pissed off my peroneal tendons.  So my running shoe recipe has been mild stability shoes + Superfeet for about the past 3 years.  Looks like I may need them in my cycling shoes, as well.  I now suspect that my issues are due to a shorter left leg or a left arch that collapses more, causing my right leg to have to work harder and bear more weight.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Maggie & Molly

thanks Kirsten, after todays half I'm thinking I might give them a try

Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

I have cushioned shoes to run in and was having problems with shins...went to store for long discussion over new shoes and type.  Sales guy asked if I had tried inserts - like superfeet.  I had tried the blue ones...but didn't care for them.  He put me in the black ones...as he thought the blue and green ones were too aggressive.  Only ran a short distance on the black ones...but it did feel better....we shall see....

I have used SuperFeet for years.  I love them.  I use the orange ones because they are cushioned more in the front than the greens.

When I used to work at a running store, I had the most sales on Superfeet. 

The first few days they are going to feel really wierd.  Like it's pushing, not at where your arch is, but a little bit forward.  That's not really a problem, you will get used to it.

Jeff

The first few days they are going to feel really wierd.  Like it's pushing, not at where your arch is, but a little bit forward.  That's not really a problem, you will get used to it.

Interesting, I stopped using my inserts given by my physio for this reason. But after 5km of pushing, it blistered. Should I have just plastered it up and persevered?

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

I have cushioned shoes to run in and was having problems with shins...went to store for long discussion over new shoes and type.  Sales guy asked if I had tried inserts - like superfeet.  I had tried the blue ones...but didn't care for them.  He put me in the black ones...as he thought the blue and green ones were too aggressive.  Only ran a short distance on the black ones...but it did feel better....we shall see....

If you're having shin problems, you might consider moving to shoes with less cushioning... you want to strengthen those smaller supporting muscles, not protect them. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

I had a bad experience with Superfeet.  Had a case of PF last year and a few people recommended superfeet.  Wore them a couple weeks but they ended up giving my some bad knee pain.  Decided to ditch them and just use Motrin and roll the foot on a frozen water bottle 4 times a day.  The PF pain was gone within a week.

Interesting, I stopped using my inserts given by my physio for this reason. But after 5km of pushing, it blistered. Should I have just plastered it up and persevered?

I never had blisters though.  Did this all happen in one day?  Maybe you did too much at once.

When I first stepped in to them, I put them in for like a mile, then took them out.  next day, two miles, that sort of tihng.

It took a few days, but suddenly I didn't notice them anymore.

But I sure do if I take them out now.  I feel like my arches are getting no support.

Jeff

I had a bad experience with Superfeet.  Had a case of PF last year and a few people recommended superfeet.  Wore them a couple weeks but they ended up giving my some bad knee pain.  Decided to ditch them and just use Motrin and roll the foot on a frozen water bottle 4 times a day.  The PF pain was gone within a week.

yeah, I've known people who don't like them for whatever reason.  They're just like everything else.  Sometimes they work for people, sometimes they don't.

Jeff

Maggie & Molly

But I sure do if I take them out now.  I feel like my arches are getting no support.

would you where one only if you seem to have one foot that collapses far more than the other

Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

would you where one only if you seem to have one foot that collapses far more than the other

I don't know.  If you do that, essentially you're creating your own leg length discrepancy.  There is some thickness to them.

Only once, I saw another employee recommend doing that, and it was with the blue ones, which, at the time, were the thinnest ones they made.  That was a few years back when I worked at a running store, so I don't know if that's still the case.  Still...I'm not so sure it would be the best idea.

The customer seemed OK with it, but he could have come back later on, I don't know.

I guess you could try it.  BUT...my wife has a pair of Spencos that she took to someone recommended by a podiatrist, who actually molded ONE of them to have a higher arch.  So, she wears both of them, but one is shaped a little differently.

Of course, you could go the custom orthotic route, where they actually mold and create them to each foot, but that can get very expensive.  And it's usually not paid for.

Maybe a trip to a podiatrist might be a good idea. 

Jeff

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What Jeff said...or maybe try the custom fit Superfeet (I think the stores that have these use some sort of heat/vacuum system to mold them to each foot).  Our nearest running store offers these.  I haven't looked into them myself, since the standard ones work fine for me.  But I have a couple of friends who like them.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You reminded me of something.

The only time I ever had a PF issue, there were two things going on at the same time.  It hung around for about 3 months.  I still, to this day, haven't figured out what caused it, but it has never come back.  Thankfully.

It sounds silly, but, I was training for a marathon, so my mileage was increasing, but not more than the dreaded 10%.  But, also, I had gotten a new pair of dress shoes for work.

Within a week, I had a PF issue.  I put the blue Superfeet in the dress shoes, since they were thin, and did all the rolling with the ice bottle and golf ball and stretching and stuff.  Eventually, it went away, but I still don't know if it was the shoes, or the increased distance I was running.

The blue Superfeet are still in the shoes, but, since we've gone to a "casual dress" all the time at work, I haven't worn them in years.

Jeff

Maggie & Molly

thanks, I'll have to find a local store that carries them and just give it a try.

Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363