Weight Training Plans for Runners? (Read 5186 times)

question better posted elsewhere. the number 42 is not involved.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

...very informative thread..........What did Norm wind up Doing??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

The Greatest of All Time

How did I miss this thread?
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Why is it sideways?

Personally, I'd much prefer to have actual arms and an actual chest, but I recognize that I'm sacrificing maximizing my marathon times.
          Still feel like this, gorilla man?

The Greatest of All Time

Still feel like this, gorilla man?
            I'll keep my arms and chest and accept whatever time I earn. I get paid to look good naked, not run fast. Shocked

protoplasm72

I get paid to look good naked, not run fast. Shocked
              What kind of lawyer are you again?

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

The Greatest of All Time

What kind of lawyer are you again?
                A naked one quite obviously. Wink

fabdean

DON'T BE DAFT- RUNNING IS SIMPLE TO TRAIN FOR. RUN. THE MORE TIME SPENT IN THE GYM THE MORE TIME YOU WASTE NOT RUNNING. IF YOUR HUNG UP ABOUT YOUR ARM STRENGTH USE A ROWING MACHINE THAT WAY YOU GET ENDURANCE AND CARDIO.
                    thank god someone revived this year old thread. what would life be without us mesomorphs gritting our teeth over how we cannot catch up to ectomorphs on the road but feeling some satisfaction that we can open the pickle jars for them if they can wait that long for us at the finish line. Smile me? I hope to accomplish these goals... run sub-20 5k while age 40+ with a BMI of "overweight". Why? Because there is no way I could lose the required 15-20 pounds to get into the "normal" category on the BMI chart without suffering loses in my enjoyment of life. And the sub-20, while insignificant to runners with actual talent, would represent a major milestone to me. No... I will never win an age group award unless it is a tiny race. I accept that. peace out. happy holidays!

thank god someone revived this year old thread. what would life be without us mesomorphs gritting our teeth over how we cannot catch up to ectomorphs on the road but feeling some satisfaction that we can open the pickle jars for them if they can wait that long for us at the finish line. Smile me? I hope to accomplish these goals... run sub-20 5k while age 40+ with a BMI of "overweight". Why? Because there is no way I could lose the required 15-20 pounds to get into the "normal" category on the BMI chart without suffering loses in my enjoyment of life. And the sub-20, while insignificant to runners with actual talent, would represent a major milestone to me. No... I will never win an age group award unless it is a tiny race. I accept that. peace out. happy holidays!
                      Thank you. Let's get together for pickles sometime. Or maybe Peperoncinis?

or a Bruins game. my favorite team from 10-20 years ago. My sister was engaged to a guy who was good friends with a Bruins player. She didn't marry him and I was deeply hurt. I was dreaming of free tickets.

or a Bruins game. my favorite team from 10-20 years ago. My sister was engaged to a guy who was good friends with a Bruins player. She didn't marry him and I was deeply hurt. I was dreaming of free tickets.
                          And they don't suck this year! They are not only winning but they're entertaining! Not like the Devils when they would win and put everyone to sleep. too bad about the loss of the potential ticket connection. That would've been sweet.

Trigirl

For what it's worth, I am a firm believer in cross training which includes weights-however my weights are done in my off season. Yes, I may be a triathlete and not a pure runner but I have found that my time with weights is time well spent for my swimming, biking AND running. I don't agree with the comment that time spent with weights is less time that could be spent running (more running does not necessarily mean faster, longer or better running!). Cardio alone does not assist with muscle definition and although I do find that working out with weights improves my performance, even if it didn't, I gotta admit I like the benefits to my appearance! Wink

2010 results: Muskoka long course: 2km-55km-15km- 1st in age group (qualified for Ironman Canada), 4th female amateur overall; Smith Falls triathlon- first female overall; 5 km Canada Day running race- 20:42 (fourth female overall). My first pure running race! Quinte triathlon 1.5-40km-10km Second female overall; Ktown triathlon -first female overall (2km-55km-15km) Mt Forest triathlon (500-20km-5km) 1st female overall; Brockville triathlon (750-20-5km) 1st place female overall

2011 results: (Racing with Piriformis syndrome-ouch)  Sydenham Triathlon- 1st female overall; Peterborough Triathlon-4th female (out of 185)and 1st in age group.....

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

DONT BE DAFT - RUNNING IS SIMPLE TO TRAIN FOR - RUN. TIME SPENT EATING, TALKING, GOING TO WORK, OR SLEEPING IS TIME WASTED. YOU SHOULD RUN 24 HOURS A DAY.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Trigirl

DONT BE DAFT - RUNNING IS SIMPLE TO TRAIN FOR - RUN. TIME SPENT EATING, TALKING, GOING TO WORK, OR SLEEPING IS TIME WASTED. YOU SHOULD RUN 24 HOURS A DAY.
                                I stand corrected! lol.... Maybe that's why my run isn't improving as much as I'd like...damn, stupid me for not running instead of doing all those unecessary things like eat.....!!!!Wink

2010 results: Muskoka long course: 2km-55km-15km- 1st in age group (qualified for Ironman Canada), 4th female amateur overall; Smith Falls triathlon- first female overall; 5 km Canada Day running race- 20:42 (fourth female overall). My first pure running race! Quinte triathlon 1.5-40km-10km Second female overall; Ktown triathlon -first female overall (2km-55km-15km) Mt Forest triathlon (500-20km-5km) 1st female overall; Brockville triathlon (750-20-5km) 1st place female overall

2011 results: (Racing with Piriformis syndrome-ouch)  Sydenham Triathlon- 1st female overall; Peterborough Triathlon-4th female (out of 185)and 1st in age group.....