Site layout changes. Please read! (Read 2601 times)

eric :)

Hi guys, I changed the layout of the site tonight that will affect many of you. I think it's a worthwhile change and will save you some headaches in the future. As you know, if you want to link to your log, you had to click on the "Publish Page" button on the toolbar. That is unintuitive and many users still forget to do that occasionally. With tonight's change, you can simply copy the URL directly from your browser and use it anywhere. If you have a link to your log on your blog or website, you'll need to update it because it is no longer valid. I considered adding some code in to make it work, but decided to take the bullet (and any possible angry emails) and create a forward looking site instead of constantly maintaining the old stuff. I apologize for any inconvenience, but I really think it's for the better. Since the change is very drastic, there will inevitably be bugs. Please let me know if you find any broken links, or links doing things that you're not expecting. The beta users worked very hard to find them, but we're all human and can't be expected to do a perfect job every time. I'll fix them any newly discovered bugs as soon as I can. This is the first step in upgrading the log. There's be more good stuff to come. As I said before, it's a big project and might take several updates to get there. Also included in this release are the following: Open link in new window You guys requested it, and I added it. All links in the forums will now be opened in a new window. If you're using popup blockers, you'll need to pretty the ctrl key or allow popups from this site. List shoe mileage in edit run drop down Trent requested this one. The mileage of each pair of shoes is now displayed in the shoe drop down. Trent: you don't see Nike doing anything like that, do you? Updated the help page Yes. This site has a help page. It wasn't too useful, mostly because it's hard to update it. I've made changes so that it's easier to add new FAQs to it. Maybe that will reduce the number of repeated questions. There are also the usual minor bug fixes and enhancements. As always, the beta users did a great job in helping me test the rather buggy code. Good job guys! eric Smile
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

ERIC IS MOST AWESOME!!!
      derek

I can't add an Elliptical entry. I get a Page Not Found error

Derek

derek

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I copied the link: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/0c719ecbd7144db0900675c1a605aec5 but if I try to access it, I get the login page for members only. I normally use Firefox, but for this testing, I used IE as it doesn't have any cookies or session info.

Derek

Wingz

Professional Noob

Derek - we ran into some similar problems. I thought it got fixed. For now, just try logging in (again) when it asks you and then try your entry again. That worked for me when I was testing.

Roads were made for journeys...

Derek, I fixed both errors. You weren't doing anything wrong. The code I had was too restrictive, and required that you have to log in first before viewing someone's log, which made no sense. eric Smile
              RunningHammer

Hi Eric Small bugette i think - on the shoe drop down, the new shoe mileage calculation doesn't appear to include any "initial mileage" you may have input for a pair of shoes? Cheers Davey
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hi Eric Small bugette i think - on the shoe drop down, the new shoe mileage calculation doesn't appear to include any "initial mileage" you may have input for a pair of shoes? Cheers Davey
                  I have the same problem. As I am about to transition, all my shoes have on them only initial miles and their miles don't show up at all. Double Cheeers! Big grin Trent

Misinformation Officer

Just wanted to say "Thanks!" for such a great site and your attention and concern to all of us who are obsessive about our running.
                    derek

Derek, I fixed both errors. You weren't doing anything wrong. The code I had was too restrictive, and required that you have to log in first before viewing someone's log, which made no sense. eric Smile
                      Thanks. Just checked and it works now. The elliptical entry is working too.

Derek

Oops. You are right. This thing has so many moving parts that I forgot about the initial distance. It should be fixed now.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oops. You are right. This thing has so many moving parts that I forgot about the initial distance. It should be fixed now.
                          BEAUTIFUL!!

moved to its own thread
                              Eric, I can't seem to add an entry for today. The site won't allow me to click to add an entry. Could you help me out? Thanks, Mike
                              "The will to win, is nothing without the will to prepare"

Eric, I can't seem to add an entry for today. The site won't allow me to click to add an entry. Could you help me out? Thanks, Mike
                                Can you be a little more explicit about the problem? What did you click? And what was observed? Have you tried forcing a complete reload of the page? I changed some javascripts and you might not have the latest copy. eric Smile